Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bturner2
    replied
    Yeah you'll get mixed recommendations with dry block versus antifreeze. There's even a couple guys here that will drain, fill with antifreeze then drain again. I used to have strong opinions about this but have mellowed over the years. On my boat and the ones I help out with it's drain then fill -100 marine antifreeze and that stuff got really expensive this year. I think I paid $17 a gallon and used 3 gallons. For the ballast system it's RV cherry juice. This is what allows me to sleep at night. If someone want's to dry block and it works for them I see no problem with that either but I personally don't want anything to do with this method if I'm doing the winterizing for friends or family. I'll only do what works for me.

Leave a comment:

• dbatteiger
    replied
    Yep ethanol fuel too except on Cumberland trip. I've rebuilt my carb and didn't find anything hateful either. Was amazingly clean inside the bowls. Ok, Antifreeze or no antifreeze just drain? I have always sucked antifreeze up on fogging, thermostat open. Then I watch this video today of that Ron from Skiboat parts .com. He says no antifreeze. Then you have Vince with his engine in his driveway saying to use antifreeze. I think my original manual says just drain is adequate. Am I wasting money on Antifreeze? Peace of mind is inexpensive is how I see it I guess. Storage is optimal.

Leave a comment:

• ValveCoverGasket
    replied
    Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
    Interesting thing with the Nautiques, they actually recommended running Stabil 360 Marine all the time. I've been doing it since I bought the boat and really can't tell you I notice the difference but will say it's always ready to be stored.
    id been using the regular stabil for years, but this winter am going to try the marine. always running regular gas from the pump with 10% or whatever ethanol. lets see how that goes. i couldnt quite spot the difference between the two on their site, other than the color. but lets see

Leave a comment:

• bturner2
    replied
    Interesting thing with the Nautiques, they actually recommended running Stabil 360 Marine all the time. I've been doing it since I bought the boat and really can't tell you I notice the difference but will say it's always ready to be stored.

Leave a comment:

• jackpete
    replied
    There’s a bIg difference between ethanol and non-ethanol gas. My lawnmower will attest to how badly the ethanol gas degrades after just a few months. I always use Stay-bil for the winter regardless of the gas.

Leave a comment:

• carlsonwa
    replied
    Since I run premium non-ethanol in the boat, I siphon as much as I can, into gas cans, and then dump it into my car tanks and all my small engine equipment for the fall. And dump a can of seafoam into the tank.

Then in the spring, I start with a fresh tank of gas.
    Last edited by carlsonwa; 10-07-2022, 11:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mike koen
    replied
    Originally posted by 86Skier View Post

I can't profess to knowing all the answers to all of your questions, but this ones easy, no argument:

Bikini.
    You win.

Leave a comment:

• eurosysytem0
    replied
    Originally posted by Mainely Wake View Post

Since you clearly have no boat ownership experience let me educate you. THE ONLY WAY to store your boat is on pillows. You lift the boat off the trailer then position some pillows, (any kind will do) between the boat and the trailer bunks. Make sure you have enough pillows to cover all the bunks, you don't want the boat to be uncomfortable through the winter. Then slowly lower the boat down. Some people will say to keep the stern up some will say have the bow up, but they are wrong. Perfectly level is the way to go. Extra points if you have soft music playing in the garage.
    Mainley Wake. I am surpised you missed out:

Putting a thick warm woollen blanket over engine and under engine cover (To stop condensation corroding engine electronics.)

Using Cotton Duvet Covers and pillow covers over seas etvc(to eliminate mould problems)

Putting a cover over the cover so the cover doesnt get dirty.

A nice touch is if "all bedding is a set" and does not clash with boat colour scheme.

Throughout the winter periodic visits to reassure boat "things will improve" in a few months is also re-assuring.

"Look after the boat and the boat will look after you."

Leave a comment:

• 86Skier
    replied
    [*]What is the best wax?[/LIST]
    I can't profess to knowing all the answers to all of your questions, but this ones easy, no argument:

Bikini.

Leave a comment:

• JohnE
    replied
    ^^^HAAAA!!!!^^^

I'd store anywhere from 1/4 - 3/4 tank and stabilize it and not worry about it. Get it running in spring and fill it and take it out for a few hours and run the heck out of it. A lot of people will fill it with super even if it doesn't take 91 octane as allegedly the octane level of the stored gas decreases with storage. (I have no scientific evidence of this, just hearsay.)

Leave a comment:

• Mainely Wake
    replied
    Well that didn't take long to devolve. Surprised it turned somewhat caustic in only 8 posts though.

Now that that's behind us, can we get to some real important winterization topics like.....
    • What is the correct weight oil to use?
    • What is the best brand oil?
    • Can I use full synthetic oil?
    • Should I dry block or fill with antifreeze?
    • What is the best wax?
    Since you clearly have no boat ownership experience let me educate you. THE ONLY WAY to store your boat is on pillows. You lift the boat off the trailer then position some pillows, (any kind will do) between the boat and the trailer bunks. Make sure you have enough pillows to cover all the bunks, you don't want the boat to be uncomfortable through the winter. Then slowly lower the boat down. Some people will say to keep the stern up some will say have the bow up, but they are wrong. Perfectly level is the way to go. Extra points if you have soft music playing in the garage.

Leave a comment:

• mike koen
    replied
    I believe the only way to remove moisture out of oxygen is to draw it down to 30 inches of vacuum and then moisture boils off.

Leave a comment:

• curver900
    replied
    I filled mine to the brim so i have at least one tank of gas for next year .. who knows what the future brings... but prices will be up.. fill up ....

Leave a comment:

• bturner2
    replied
    Well that didn't take long to devolve. Surprised it turned somewhat caustic in only 8 posts though.

I personally store full with treated gas but that's probably because I'm old and that's the way I was told to do many years ago. Never had a problem and I still do it this way today. From a personal experience perspective we had a jet ski at our place in Canada that we were not allowed to use for the last 3 seasons due to covid restrictions at the border (got to love the tracking app Can Arrive and all the freedom that destroys but that's another story). I stored that sled the same way I store the boat, full treated tank. Sold the jet ski in August as we're probably selling the cottage due to the whole mess at the boarder. The new owner said the gas smelled fresh and burned through the tank without any issues. Is that because I stored it right? Is it because it wasn't long enough for the gas to go bad? Couldn't say but I do know it certainly wouldn't appear based real and recent example that storing it full was an issue 3 years later.

In all honesty if you're just storing for 5 or 6 months it really shouldn't matter and I know people who do nothing and haven't had a problem. Unfortunately, like in my case sometimes stuff happens that is out of your control which can change that storage expectation. I think as long as you treat whatever is in the tank correctly you should be okay and I'm certainly not going to run someone down due to their personal experience or method of storing their boat.

Now that that's behind us, can we get to some real important winterization topics like.....
    • What is the correct weight oil to use?
    • What is the best brand oil?
    • Can I use full synthetic oil?
    • Should I dry block or fill with antifreeze?
    • What is the best wax?

Leave a comment:

• RxMC
    replied
    Heaters running? Dehumidifiers? Sea salt. Maybe you got water directly through the vent hole. I don't know what that's all about, probably your issue.

I'm not looking at that link, means nothing to me personally. I live in one of the worst places possible for storing motor vehicles with humid 100 degree summers to -35 in the winter. I have no heated storage. I store everything, sometimes for years at a time. Cars, snowmobiles, lawnmowers, boats, motorcycles, snowblowers, etc, all in an unattached, unheated garage. I've had vented, steel tanks partially filled for a couple of years that didn't rust. Maybe that's just not long enough?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X