No announcement yet.

Winterization 2012 Ilmor 5.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey @ATLX30 & @MattsCraft - when you guys are pouring in the antifreeze is it a fast pour? I tried doing it this year and it was pretty slow - much slower than I thought the pump would pump at. I was going to either try sticking the end of the hose in a bucket next year or trying to pump it in.

It probably took over 5 min to pour 4 gal in... it kept on backing up and making a mess.
    sigpic
    Kamloops Waterski Club
    www.kwsc.weebly.com

Comment

Originally posted by KWSC View Post
      Hey @ATLX30 & @MattsCraft - when you guys are pouring in the antifreeze is it a fast pour? I tried doing it this year and it was pretty slow - much slower than I thought the pump would pump at. I was going to either try sticking the end of the hose in a bucket next year or trying to pump it in.

It probably took over 5 min to pour 4 gal in... it kept on backing up and making a mess.

Hmmm - Where is the sea strainer located? On the X25 it is up high, just behind the rear seat bench starboard side and has a pretty straight shot down through the perko to the impeller intake.

It takes it as fast as I can pour it in. I have seen on some of the boats, it is located lower in the bilge area, not sure if that is the issue.

Comment

Great looking 197!

Comment

Mine was slower than I thought it would be, but probably more like 3-4 minutes than 5. As long as it went in and you had some pink coming out the exhaust, you should be good.

Comment

I followed Matts guide for the first winterization of my Ilmor 5.7:

-Drain block by pulling knock sensors and the plugs under them
            -Remove the hose from 90 degree fitting on bottom or both manifolds
            -Reinstall plugs/sensors and hoses on manifolds
            -CURSE REPEATEDLY WIHILE TRYING TO REMOVE THE TOP HOSE OFF THE STRAINER
            -Get hose off, insert funnel into the hose
            -Start engine and pour in 4 gallons of antifreeze, it is now coming out exhaust
            Shut down, pull knock sensors/plugs and manifold hoses to drain again and leave it all apart for winter

****Now for the real question, the strainer hose that was difficult to remove: instead of removing it, splice in a valve to the intake line coming into the strainer from the bottom of the boat (just before the strainer). When your are ready to run the antifreeze, close the valve, take the top off the strainer and pour the antifreeze directly into the strainer thus sucking it into the motor without having to remove the friggin hose again???? Will this work???????? I do realize that I will need to buy an internally threaded valve with hose adaptors)
            Attached Files
            OH-IO!

Comment

Isn't there already a shut off at the bottom of the hull? I thought those were required in case the hose failed to keep from sinking the boat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I am looking at a 2012 X14V with the ilmor 5.7 and had a couple of questions regarding winterizing. I know this is an old thread but why do you need to suck up antifreeze after you drain the block and risers? Can't you just pour the antifreeze into the risers from the hoses connected to the thermostat and let that drain into the block after first draining the water? Do you need to do anything to the V-Drive for winterization? Is there a drain block on the V-drive that needs to be pulled?

Comment

The V drive itself does not need to be winterized. It only contains transmission oil. You should check the dipstick on it and make sure the fluid looks ok. If you winterize the engine cooling system, this usually also includes the v-drive transmission oil cooler (which is water cooled).

Comment

Working...
                  X