Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retrofit BoatBuckle retractable tie downs on older MC trailers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrofit BoatBuckle retractable tie downs on older MC trailers?

Anybody out there with an older MC who has added BoatBuckle retractable tie downs to their older MC trailer? I see they make an optional universal bracket kit. Curious to hear from those who may have done this and any insight is appreciated. The welded hook point on my trailer is angled so not sure if these would work correctly, even with the universal bracket. Also doesn't look like they provide any protection for potential contact of the strap on the transom. Thanks in advance.
    ¡Viva 205V!
    2003 X2 MCX

Been thinking about this. I think you would need to add a bracket to the outboard side of the trailer rail. Or bolt them to the side of the trailer rail. Either way it may look goofy which has held me back.

I only travel more than 500 yards twice a year so it’s not high on my priority list.

Comment

I literally just bought the Boat Buckles and the brackets yesterday. I'm going to have to play around with it for the best location. Suggestions welcome! 2001 X30.

Comment

Originally posted by lakedrum03 View Post
        Been thinking about this. I think you would need to add a bracket to the outboard side of the trailer rail. Or bolt them to the side of the trailer rail. Either way it may look goofy which has held me back.

I only travel more than 500 yards twice a year so it’s not high on my priority list.
        Yeah, I hear ya. I'm hopeful someone who's done it might chime in. Looks like BoatBuckle makes a protective PVC sleeve that would work and protect the transom. Watching the videos on Etrailer makes me think I might even be able to use the same hole on the weld that's already there, maybe even without the universal bracket.

Originally posted by MooneyFWD View Post
        I literally just bought the Boat Buckles and the brackets yesterday. I'm going to have to play around with it for the best location. Suggestions welcome! 2001 X30.
        Mooney, let us know what you end up with. I think I'll order up parts and see if I can make it work.
        ¡Viva 205V!
        2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Originally posted by brucemac View Post
          Anybody out there with an older MC who has added BoatBuckle retractable tie downs to their older MC trailer? I see they make an optional universal bracket kit. Curious to hear from those who may have done this and any insight is appreciated. The welded hook point on my trailer is angled so not sure if these would work correctly, even with the universal bracket. Also doesn't look like they provide any protection for potential contact of the strap on the transom. Thanks in advance.
          Old is relative.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat Buckle01.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	2697825

Name:	Boat Buckle02.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	2697826

93 190
          (safe click)

Comment

Looks good!

Just ordered up a pair along with the universal bracket and the protective pads. Hopeful I can make it work without looking wonky.
            ¡Viva 205V!
            2003 X2 MCX

Comment

I had a local welding shop add a spot to mount the Boat Buckles on my '08 MC trailer.

Comment

Guess I should have trusted some of the reviews I had read. The hardware that comes with these is pure garbage. Got one on just fine, but the other nut seized up even after threading by hand (galling?). Had to cut if off with a hacksaw. Sent the mfg a note to see if maybe they can address, but in the meantime, looks like I'll need to go source some better hardware.
                ¡Viva 205V!
                2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Guess I should have trusted some of the reviews I had read. The hardware that comes with these is pure garbage. Got one on just fine, but the other nut seized up even after threading by hand (galling?). Had to cut if off with a hacksaw. Sent the mfg a note to see if maybe they can address, but in the meantime, looks like I'll need to go source some better hardware.
                  Did you use anti-seize ? Stainless steel bolts and nuts are notorious for cold welding (galling).
                  2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

Originally posted by dpb185 View Post

Did you use anti-seize ? Stainless steel bolts and nuts are notorious for cold welding (galling).
                    I didn't have any, but I did spray a little WD40 on and lightly wiped off. It hand-threaded just fine and then seized up about halfway on using hand tools.
                    ¡Viva 205V!
                    2003 X2 MCX

Comment

When I added Boat Buckles to my ‘06 I simply popped out the brake light to access the inside of the frame to attach the nut/hardware on the inside.
                      Last edited by Skyskiguy; 02-02-2022, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
                        Old is relative.

Name:	Boat Buckle01.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	2697825

Name:	Boat Buckle02.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	2697826
                        Charles,

What size hole did you start out with? I assume a 1/2 inch x 3 inch then just a round over bit. Looks really clean!
                        -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post

Charles,

What size hole did you start out with? I assume a 1/2 inch x 3 inch then just a round over bit. Looks really clean!
                          Yes Sir, that is correct. I did that a few years ago so double check the hook for dimensions. A router did the trick. Thanks for the kind words. That was an easy task. Not any part of the strap touches the hull.

93 190
                          (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by Skyskiguy View Post
                            When I added Boat Buckles to my ‘06 I simply popped out the brake light to access the inside of the frame to attach the nut/hardware on the inside.
                            OMG, why didn't I think of that!? Genius. So I'm assuming you drilled pilot hole parallel to the center line of the lens on that adjacent light and just left of the weld on that angled square piece of the trailer? I think I'm going to ditch the universal bracket and go that route. Way cleaner. Thanks for the tip.

¡Viva 205V!
                            2003 X2 MCX

Comment

OMG, why didn't I think of that!? Genius. So I'm assuming you drilled pilot hole parallel to the center line of the lens on that adjacent light and just left of the weld on that angled square piece of the trailer? I think I'm going to ditch the universal bracket and go that route. Way cleaner. Thanks for the tip.
                              Correct. As I recall, I got it as far away from the brake light as possible without getting it up onto the weld and could still easily reach it through the brake light hole. Just don’t drop any tools or hardware into the frame!

Comment

Working...
                              X