tire replacement based on age alone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire replacement based on age alone

How many of you replace trailer tires every 3-5 yrs based exclusively on age? My tires look brand new in every aspect: tread, sidewall, and they tow perfectly. Their manufacture date is 0518. For half of the season, I trailer an hour, half of which is on the interstate. The other half of the summer I trailer 10 min, no faster than 45 mph. I don't want a catastrophic tire failure on the interstate any more than anyone else, but the thought of throwing out perfectly good tires 'just because' , well you know....

I've read the recommendations, what do you guys do?

Thanks,
    Bill Montgomery

Originally posted by boscoman View Post
    How many of you replace trailer tires every 3-5 yrs based exclusively on age? My tires look brand new in every aspect: tread, sidewall, and they tow perfectly. Their manufacture date is 0518. For half of the season, I trailer an hour, half of which is on the interstate. The other half of the summer I trailer 10 min, no faster than 45 mph. I don't want a catastrophic tire failure on the interstate any more than anyone else, but the thought of throwing out perfectly good tires 'just because' , well you know....

I've read the recommendations, what do you guys do?

Thanks,
    Bill Montgomery
    As much as anything, I swap tires based on age to prevent fender damage on the trailer in the event of a tire gone bad. Every four to five years for me, regardless of the rationalization. Your call there.

93 190
    (safe click)

Comment

I think it really can depend. These days some brands of tires can be brand new and some people say they experience blowouts. That being said, a new tire should be at less risk for a blowout. I like to replace mine every 4-5 years just to be preventative as I possible can be.
      Previous Boat- 1983 Stars and Stripes

Comment

I do. I run mine 4 seasons then replace. I don't care what they look like. I've had too many issues, it's not worth it.

Comment

Slight threadjack, but are the recommendations the same for a car? I probably only average 4,000 miles a year on my Expedition. At that rate a 60,000 mile tread-life tire could last 15 years. I know that's probably too long but what is reasonable?

Comment

Originally posted by dfski View Post
            Slight threadjack, but are the recommendations the same for a car? I probably only average 4,000 miles a year on my Expedition. At that rate a 60,000 mile tread-life tire could last 15 years. I know that's probably too long but what is reasonable?
            Different. I run my car tires to the wear indicator. My trailer tires never get close.
            If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
            1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by dfski View Post
              Yes Sir. Time and material degradation is different than miles. I guess it is each to their own.

I too am in that situation. I run about 1,000 (one thousand) miles per year on one of my trucks. I hate to buy new LT tires every five years but I do. I have read different opinions of up to seven years.

Risk and risk management.

93 190
              (safe click)

Comment

Every 4 to 5 years regardless. The thought of being stuck on the side of the highway with cars screaming by while I try to change a flat on the driver's side is enough to make me swap them out. I only take 2 or three 200+ mile trips a year but I never want to be stuck for being cheap or trying to stretch out the life of a tire. Last time I swapped tires I had a guy pay me the recycling fee so he could take my old tires, I felt that was a great deal for me.

The crazy part of doing tires changes on the side of the freeway to me is the number times you hear about people getting hit while changing a tire or a cop that gets hit while writing a ticket or helping someone whose broke down. I'll stick with the plan and leave the roadside repairs to someone else.....

Comment

Trailer tires take more abuse than general car or truck tires. Specially on a tandem trailer with the twisting and turning. Back up in a sharp turn and get out and look at the stress on the tires. I replace my trailer tires every 5 years.

Comment

Every five years for me. I’ve been down the blow-out road. Changing the tire on the side of the freeway and replacing the fender aren’t worth the risk or the dollars!

Comment

Another factor to consider is where you store the trailer. If it's in the sun or cold it can make a difference to the life of the tire.
                      2000 MC SportStar
                      2017 SQ5
                      2009 KTM 530 Exc
                      2012 BMW K1300r

Comment

Thanks everybody, I think I'll go for 5 years.

Comment

A little late but I am 4-5 years regardless what they look like and my trailers are mostly indoors.
                          Ski in snow, ski in water, and always have fun!

2008 Prostar 214 MCX
                          1995 Prostar 190 "Evil Minion"
                          Previous 93 Prostar 190 1.5:1 GT40

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
                          "Do you have Flake on that boat?"

Comment

My opinion that's a big waste of energy, resources, and money. Maybe if you trailer many thousands of miles a year.

I just put tires on about three years ago. Manufacture date is 3118. The tires have 600 miles on them and look like they did the day they were installed. I'm not going to replace them next season or the season after.

Comment

This is always a hot topic.

I replace the tires on my single axle after 5 years of service. I only go a couple miles to the boat launch every weekend. But like others have said, its cheap insurance to replace rather than blow up a fiberglass fender, wrecking a rim, or be stranded to have to change a tire on the side of a busy road. We need @MrMastercraft to come along and give his input as well.

I just put my 5 year old tires up for sale on Craigslist / FB marketplace some other guy always comes along and buys them.

Comment

Working...
                              X