No announcement yet.

tire replacement based on age alone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I replaced mine after 15 years, only after I read about them breaking down from the INSIDE. That's why they look like new, yet the danger is on the inside. Guess I was very lucky. GL
    Previous Boats: 04 X7, 98 190, 96 205, Sylvan Deck
    Thanks and best wishes, George & Sara Amonette
    256 786 2244
    [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by georgea0731 View Post
      only after I read about them breaking down from the INSIDE. That's why they look like new, yet the danger is on the inside. Guess I was very lucky. GL
      Huh?

Inside is not exposed to UV light. I think you'll see other deficiencies before the inside "breaks down". The tires on my truck have cracks between the tread, they will look fine inside.

Comment

15 years is incredible. They usually crack around the rims before they wear out. Goodyear now makes a 14inch D rated and they are the bomb Not sure about inside issue. .

Comment

Originally posted by RxMC View Post

Huh?

Inside is not exposed to UV light. I think you'll see other deficiencies before the inside "breaks down". The tires on my truck have cracks between the tread, they will look fine inside.
          nope, mine were 20 yrs old before one blew, perfect external condition, always kept at the right pressure, trailer kept indoors, dry and blocked for the winter. Then last year, one popped on the motorway doing 60, overtaking a lorry.

Comment

No such thing as a 20 year old tire in "perfect external condition".

Comment

No cracks in the tread or sidewalls, good tread, no bulges or cuts and only about 3000 miles on them.... I'd say that qualifies as "perfect external condition"

Comment

Boat is garage kept and I don't tow very far to our home lake, but do tow a couple ~500 mile trips a year. I had a blowout on the interstate several years back. I was extremely lucky that I actually noticed it in my side mirror as it began to separate and was able to quickly pulled over. I was also lucky that a state trooper came to provide cover/protection as I climbed under to set the bottle jack. Having cars/trucks/semis blow by at ~80MPH while you're lying on the ground feet away is not a super fun way to start a vacation. Thankfully, no damage to the fender. Ever since, I am of the mindset to replace tires at around 5-6 years regardless. They're simply not that expensive relative to everything else that comes with owning a boat. Money well spent on safety and peace of mind IMO.
                ¡Viva 205V!
                2003 X2 MCX

Comment

I own five trailers and one is a tandem. I'm not replacing tires every five years. Most of my towing is local with very limited highway use. If I'm leaving the island on a significant road trip I'll bounce for new tires if the current ones are showing signs of age.

Comment

OK everybody, I learned my lesson last night. Had a blowout on the way home from the lake. I had previously checked all my tires and had max inflation and manufacture dates were in the 4 year range. I'm getting 5 new Carlisles today. For those of you with tandem axle trailers, this Trailer Helper gizmo is worth its weight in gold!
                    https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Helpe...s%2C91&sr=8-11 Just a word to the wise, mount it on a 2x6 that extends 4-5 inches beyond it front and back. Your *other* tire will engage the lumber first, thereby preventing the steel unit from sliding on the road surface

Comment

My car trailer 5 year old tires blew when I was hauling some things back from the farm … took 8 hours to replace them …. Just replaced my X10 tires before I brought it back to the dealer because I didn’t want to go through that again

i will now do 4-5 year as a rule of thumb

Comment

Working...
                      X