Where do you take for Service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you take for Service?

I have a bit of a dilemma here. I lost a bearing buddy this weekend when trailering to camp. I didn't have any idea what to do about it so I placed part of a Ziploc bag over it with the wife's hair rubber band to keep more grease from going everywhere. We leave for a 350mi trip tomorrow and I don't have time to mess with it.

If you take your trailer for service somewhere (and don't DIY ) do you choose MC Dealer, Auto tire shop, specialty trailer shop, etc? I am afraid an auto shop won't have or use marine grease, but maybe they deal with this enough.

I would take it to an auto mechanic. I have always had our trailer brakes, bearings etc done by the same person who services our cars. He is honest, knowledgeable and detail-oriented. I would not hesitate to have your bearing fixed by an auto mechanic.

Comment

Trailer shops are abundant in my area too, and I sometimes use these.

Comment

The bearing buddies are just a press fit that you hammer on/off. If your only issue is that one fell off just go get a new one, beat it on there with a hammer and a block of wood then fill her up with grease. It will take far less time to just do that vs. coordinating and bringing it to a trailer shop.

Comment

BTW, most non-boat trailers don't have bearing buddies on them. Just a dust cap. Even if you lose a bearing buddy there's likely no damage to the bearings as the bearings can roll without them indefinitely. It's not like losing a cap on an oil filled hub.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff d View Post
            The bearing buddies are just a press fit that you hammer on/off. If your only issue is that one fell off just go get a new one, beat it on there with a hammer and a block of wood then fill her up with grease. It will take far less time to just do that vs. coordinating and bringing it to a trailer shop.
            ^^measure it first. I believe there are two 'popular sizes' that are primarily used.
            Second choice, if you just can't get it done beforehand, would be an aluminum can cut in half and strapped on with a stainless steel hose clamp. Seen it done this way and it lasts for quite some time.
            1988 Tristar 190 Sport, 351W w/GT-40's, 1:1 Velvetdrive

Comment

Thanks for the idea MikeyOrange88. I'll remember that if I have trouble on the road.

UPDATE: got some new caps on my lunch break and plan to put on tonight. I'm going to jack the trailer up and spin the wheels to see how the bearings sound. Seemed like the slightest bit of play in them when shaking the trailer from the wheels. Will clean the grease up around then and see if the axle nut needs adjusted.
              Also, my axles seem to be the EZ Lube system by Dexter if anyone is familiar with those. I haven't seen much about them on here. With that you can basically pump grease through them until all the old stuff comes out essentially repacking them. Will give an update later.

Comment

Someone close should be able to help you out from TT. this is a really easy thing to do if nothing damaged.. Too bad you're not closer.

mike
                sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

I didn't know they had that dexter system in '96. I have them on my camper. Those take a special cap (i.e. NOT a Bearing Buddy brand cap) but the removal/installation process is the same. Once the cap is on just keep pumping grease in and the old grease will be pushed out around the perimeter of the cap.

Comment

I have an '89 Tristar with I'm guessing the original trailer from that year. There is a I think generic Bearing Buddy on the other side of this axle. I'm going to pop that off too tonight and see if someone put the wrong "cap" on it. If so, when I've greased it, no grease is getting where is should. If it is like that, the grease zirk on the Bearing Buddy is just pumping grease into a void before the EZ Lube grease zirk.
                    I'm not sure that made sense...

Comment

wow, glad to know I am not the only one. I have same boat and year. I just replaced the bearings and have had a heck of a time finding a bearing buddy that matches and don't have an electronic caliper. I ordered the 1.98 as it seamed like the most common, but it was just shy short. I haven't had the time to order the correct ones since. I was looking at http://www.etrailer.com/Grease-Caps/...200L-DCRP.html as the next size up. Not truly bearing buddies, but it is what is on the other 3 wheels.
                      -Austin

1989 tristar 190
                      sigpic

Comment

O'Reilly Auto Parts has Bearing Buddys

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...2473/C0385.oap

good luck,
                        Previous Boats: 04 X7, 98 190, 96 205, Sylvan Deck
                        Thanks and best wishes, George & Sara Amonette
                        256 786 2244
                        [email protected]

Comment

brighac, that is what is on my front axle. Going to be on my rear axle now. So, I popped the bearing buddy off the other side of my rear axle (the one that didn't fall off) and found someone had installed bearing buddies over the EZ Lube axle. I'm kind of shocked at the ignorance, but found out why those bearings sound bad now. when I grease them, it's not getting into the bearings at all!
                          Taking to the shop this morning to get it serviced. Will find out if the bearings are bad or not.

Comment

Wish I saw this yesterday, I would've come to help. There is a place downtown that sells bearings, races, etc. http://www.waymires.net. I've been down this road before. Let me know if you still need help today. Waymires is close to my office.

Fletch

2002 X7 (Current)

1988 Tristar 190 Open Bow (Old)

Comment

Hey Fletch, thanks for the offer man! I actually took it to a Meineke that does service for our company fleet vehicles and right by my office where I keep the boat. They told me it would be done around 11am, so I'm pretty happy about that. The manager is also a boat owner (a Bayliner) so at least he's familiar. I'll keep the Waymires in mind for future though. You ever use Schwartz in Noblesville? I picked up the bearing cover caps I needed there yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                              X