Trailer guide poles - ***check for metal burrs***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer guide poles - ***check for metal burrs***

On my 2015 trailer I notice metal burrs on the trailer guide poles so I put duct tape over them so they wouldn't scratch our boat. My neighbor just bought an X23 and his trailer has the same sharpe metal burrs. Unfortunately he didn't notice them and they have scratched his boat pretty bad.

If you have a new boat I would check your trailer poles to ensure they are burr free. Personally I think Mastercraft should include protective guide pole covers from the factory or they should design them differently so the metal area of the guide pole can't scratch the boat.

Here are some photos of the area that can have the sharpe welding burrs...(sorry they are sideways)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2616.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	2458466

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2614.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	2458467
    - Andrew

2015 MasterCraft X-20 (current)
    2009 MasterCraft X-2 (sold)

Typically a dealer will put their own branded guide pole pads on trailers. Usually has their name on them.
    Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.

Comment

Originally posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
      Typically a dealer will put their own branded guide pole pads on trailers. Usually has their name on them.
      Good point Neil. For some reason the dealers around here aren't doing that. I ended up buying some generic pole pads for our boat, but I see lot of people with no pads on their new trailers.
      - Andrew

2015 MasterCraft X-20 (current)
      2009 MasterCraft X-2 (sold)

Comment

You can also use some water pipe insulating foam to cover the welds and zip tie it so it won't float up when loading on your trailer.
        XT20 5500 GDI Black Mica/Black Topdeck/ Black interior
        SOLD - 2013 X2 Pro Pkg, Gen2 Surf
        SOLD - 1998 30th Anniversary ProStar 190
        SOLD - 1985 Stars and Stripes

sigpic

Comment

Does anyone know where to find the 36" Blue logo'd guides?

Comment

Put some nautique pads on there and drop it by your dealer. The amount they get for a new boat it is shameful they don't put a set of pads on there.

Comment

unbranded pads are ~$30 on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-Standard-...LrAu7A&vxp=mtr

Used to be able to get Mastercraft logo version but guessing someone put the crackdown on that...

Comment

Originally posted by kwoody51 View Post
                unbranded pads are ~$30 on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-Standard-...LrAu7A&vxp=mtr

Used to be able to get Mastercraft logo version but guessing someone put the crackdown on that...
                you want them logo free - the white silk screen transfers to the rub rail and sticks on pretty well.
                sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Mikeg is right on target here. No logo is the way to go. Less cost, less hassle

Comment

Thanks for the help

Comment

Anyone know the source of the guide pole pvc pipe. I cracked one last night at the top (above the MC pad). Seems most hardware stores I've checked only have sch 40 pvc pipe, which is too thick.
                      09 X2, MCX 350, VDig, PP, Heater, Shower, Bow Filler Cushin, Bimini, Wake Plate, 2 Tower Speakers w/Forward integrated docking lights, Tandom Low Profile Trailer

Comment

I use 2" pvc and caps from HD

Comment

My local Ace Hardware carries a thin wall PVC which is dimensionally identical to the black plastic pipe that came with the trailer.

Comment

Thanks Miss Rita, checked my local ACE and they didn't have anything close, just Schedule 40, no thin wall pvc.
                            09 X2, MCX 350, VDig, PP, Heater, Shower, Bow Filler Cushin, Bimini, Wake Plate, 2 Tower Speakers w/Forward integrated docking lights, Tandom Low Profile Trailer

Comment

Try PVC conduit
                              Bailey
                              '02 X-9
                              Lake Blue Ridge

Comment

Working...
                              X