BoatBuckle G2 Bow Tie Down Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BoatBuckle G2 Bow Tie Down Install

I'm trying to figure out how to easily install this BoatBuckle G2 bow tie down on my 2018 NXT22 trailer, and I had always thought I could use the tab circled in the photo below rather than have to drill a new hole into the trailer. The problem is that the mounting hardware that came with the product is just a 7/16" diameter bolt, and the hole opening is way larger than that (almost 2" wide). Has anyone else sorted out a good way to get this bow tie down mounted without drilling a new hole?

Here's the product I'm talking about:
    https://www.etrailer.com/tv-review-b...-imf14220.aspx
    Attached Files

I used that spot the way it is - no problems

Hello:

I put one in that same spot and haven't had any problems for a few years just based on tightening the bolt.

I hope that helps - cheers, Steve.
    Last edited by SpokaneSteve; 02-20-2019, 12:54 PM.

Comment

You could find and/or make a bushing to use the current hole. Or you could make "sandwich plates" out of some stainless.

Comment

A thought: a quick and easy way would be to buy four fender washers in a 7/16" size (2 on each side), they would span that gap OK. Another slightly more complicated way would be to buy several standard washers to fill the 2" hole, then use the fender washers.

Or you could do some welding to make it work for you.

Comment

What is the purpose of this device? To keep the bow from bouncing?

Comment

If you go by the very strict rules for towing you should have 2 tie downs at the transom and one at the bow. Some will also recommend one that goes across the center of the hull at about the fenders. There is also some discussion as to if the winch strap and/or the locking pin from the boat mate/boat buddy will count for this. Depending on how you look at it may or may not.

Until I installed my rear boat buckles I have to admit I was guilty of not securing the boat down at the transom for low speed, short distance pulls. Once you install boat buckles it's really hard not to hook them up. They're always right there and easy to attach. Having that bow connection will reduce the stress on the winch strap as the bow should remain planted on the bow roller. As with the transom straps it'll be one more easy to attach securing point that will help ensure the bow stays planted where it's supposed to. It's a great idea especially if you tow long distances or on the freeway.

Whether it's needed or required is up for discussion as it certainly isn't installed from the factory on your very expensive new boat. Based on my experience with the transom boat buckles, if I were towing distances or on the freeway on a regular basis or even planing a distance tow I'd install one or at least tie the bow down with a ratchet strap. For the amount of time it takes the extra security is probably worth the effort.
            Last edited by bturner2; 01-29-2019, 08:32 AM.

Comment

…..
              Attached Files
              Currently schlepping on BIL's X46

MISS "B" HAVEN

2007 X2, Indmar 350 MCX (Sold)
              OJ 522 14.75 x 15.5
              Tugger: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew, EcoDiesel
              http://www.crowniehq.net

Comment

Problem With I/O Bats

Originally posted by BrooksfamX2 View Post
                …..
                I've always heard you get a lot of bow rise in an I/O under hard acceleration, but I didn't know they suffered the same problem under hard deceleration!
                Easily Parted From Money

Comment

Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
                  If you go by the very strict rules for towing you should have 2 tie downs at the transom and one at the bow. Some will also recommend one that goes across the center of the hull at about the fenders. There is also some discussion as to if the winch strap and/or the locking pin from the boat mate/boat buddy will count for this. Depending on how you look at it may or may not.

Until I installed my rear boat buckles I have to admit I was guilty of not securing the boat down at the transom for low speed, short distance pulls. Once you install boat buckles it's really hard not to hook them up. They're always right there and easy to attach. Having that bow connection will reduce the stress on the winch strap as the bow should remain planted on the bow roller. As with the transom straps it'll be one more easy to attach securing point that will help ensure the bow stays planted where it's supposed to. It's a great idea especially if you tow long distances or on the freeway.

Whether it's needed or required is up for discussion as it certainly isn't installed from the factory on your very expensive new boat. Based on my experience with the transom boat buckles, if I were towing distances or on the freeway on a regular basis or even planing a distance tow I'd install one or at least tie the bow down with a ratchet strap. For the amount of time it takes the extra security is probably worth the effort.
                  If you tie down the bow and transom, going over uneven road surface and the trailer flexes.would that not cause stress on the boat , gelcoat fiberglass etc.?
                  If she don't shine , she ain't mine

Comment

So, I take an extra 3/8” trailer safety chain, loop it through that 2” hole, then bolt it to itself with just enough slack so that I can feed the hook through the bow eye. When it’s hooked, the chain is a bit slack, but the winch line is tight. This won’t keep the boat from bouncing, but will keep it from moving much in a short stop.

For me, transom straps are secured as soon as I clear the ramp, and not removed until I’m in line waiting at the ramp.

—Sky
                    ------------------------------------------------
                    2006 X-1 Pumpkin Orange SOLD
                    2013 X25 Black, Green & Orange

Comment

I used strut channel washers from McMaster and it worked perfectly.

Pick the diameter of your bolt and it covered the entire loop on the trailer (sorry no installed photos). Be sure to check handle clearance on the buckle, mine was just a bit long and I had to make an extension of sorts.

Example:
                      Strut Channel Systems, for 5/16" Diameter Rod, Zinc-Plated Steel

https://www.mcmaster.com/3133T21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mike koen View Post
                        If you tie down the bow and transom, going over uneven road surface and the trailer flexes.would that not cause stress on the boat , gelcoat fiberglass etc.?
                        If she don't shine , she ain't mine

Comment

If you tie down the bow and transom, going over uneven road surface and the trailer flexes, would that not cause stress on the boat, gelcoat fiberglass etc?
                          IMO, keeping the boat tight to the trailer, (or, more appropriately, keeping the trailer tight to the boat) would make the whole rig more rigid and less susceptible to road shock.

The tie downs don't keep the boat on the trailer, it's more appropriate to say they keep the trailer under the boat.

Comment

One could also make the argument that letting the boat bounce on the trailer is as much or more stressful on the hull. IMO those straps are going to have some give to them and are not going to be enough to warp the hull or cause stress cracks. They'll also keep the boat planted and not let it slide from side to side over the chines. Also when I do use my straps I just pretty much snug them up and don't reef on them so I'm sure there's some give in there.

But as I stated in my previous post I'm pretty much a good example of a bad example. It's only been in the last 4 years or so that I even used transom straps. I do notice that when I get to my destination the boat is exactly where it was at the beginning which is something I can't say about when I didn't use the transom straps.

Comment

Originally posted by mike koen View Post
                              Actually, the boat bouncing on trailer, would cause more stress. Attached to the trailer, the boat would ride up and down, with the trailer...springs doing their job.

I use to not, tie-down, my transom...in the past. Until, I was following a guy pulling a Tige, on an Oklahoma state highway. Boat was bouncing on the trailer, after hitting a pothole.

Also note, winch strap, is subject to UV radiation...causing the strap to deteriorate.

Just putting that, out their.
                              sigpic Ayyyy!

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.

Comment

Working...
                              X