Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 NXT20 single axle trailer undersized?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 NXT20 single axle trailer undersized?

Since I had a tire failure I've been tire shopping which brought me to wonder what the actual GVWR was on my trailer. According to MC the NXT20 single axle trailer has a gross combined weigh rating of 5660 lbs. The boat weighs 3970 lbs, the trailer weighs 1100 lbs, fuel 287 lbs, batteries 88 lbs, so that's 5445 lbs total before I add any gear. I only have 215 lbs left for my gear, which is ridiculous. The tires that come from the factory have a rating of 2860 each, a total of 5720 counting both, I think this is cutting it pretty close to the tire's max rating. I wonder since the tires are damn near capacity it's leading to failures.

Wow, that is right at all maximum limits. You could start by upgrading the tire capacity rating to an F or G rated tire. Carlisle, Maxxis or Goodyear Endurance only in my opinion

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

I had good luck with the Maxxis tires on my previous boat trailer and was considering buying them for this trailer. What's crazy is that my previous boat weighed 1000 lbs less than my NXT20 and it was on a tandem trailer. I trailer my boat and had my other boat for 10 years and never had a tire issue. I have less than 500 miles on the MasterCraft trailer and already had a tire issue. After looking up the ratings I can't see myself ever being comfortable trailering the MasterCraft. I haven't found a F or G rated tire in 225/75/15.

The Maxxis has a rating of 2830 lbs and the Goodyear Endurance has a rating of 2833.

Comment

That's a lot of weight for a single axle. My X1 dry weight is ~800 lbs less, and I still feel it's a lot for a single axle. You should see how much the tires squish when I go over bumps. The dealers aren't delivering these with single axle trailers, are they?

Comment

Carlisle CSL16, 3080 lbs, 12 ply. There is an off brand tire with a 14 ply rating. Not sure the name.

Last edited by ONTHECOAST; 06-24-2021, 08:21 AM. Reason: Wrong information

Comment

Originally posted by Ripler View Post
            Since I had a tire failure I've been tire shopping which brought me to wonder what the actual GVWR was on my trailer. According to MC the NXT20 single axle trailer has a gross combined weigh rating of 5660 lbs. The boat weighs 3970 lbs, the trailer weighs 1100 lbs, fuel 287 lbs, batteries 88 lbs, so that's 5445 lbs total before I add any gear. I only have 215 lbs left for my gear, which is ridiculous. The tires that come from the factory have a rating of 2860 each, a total of 5720 counting both, I think this is cutting it pretty close to the tire's max rating. I wonder since the tires are damn near capacity it's leading to failures.

I went through all that after my blowout .
            check out this thread if you haven't already
            https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...d.php?t=108293

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            2012 GT205
            2011 X25
            2019 NXT22
            2020 NXT20

Comment

Originally posted by jewbacca View Post
              That's a lot of weight for a single axle. My X1 dry weight is ~800 lbs less, and I still feel it's a lot for a single axle. You should see how much the tires squish when I go over bumps. The dealers aren't delivering these with single axle trailers, are they?
              Yes, single axle trailer is standard. When I was following my salesman to the lake for the demo I noticed how much the trailer was bouncing and asked if the tires were underinflated.

Comment

Yes, single axle trailer is standard. When I was following my salesman to the lake for the demo I noticed how much the trailer was bouncing and asked if the tires were underinflated.
                Crazy. I mean, the axle on my old Reliable trailer is rated for ~5000lbs, but still. The tires are definitely the weak point in the single axle setup.

Comment

mine started bouncing bad before the blowout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  2012 GT205
                  2011 X25
                  2019 NXT22
                  2020 NXT20

Comment

That's because the tread separates just before it blows. Try those Carlisle CSL16 I suggested, I have the 16" version on my living quarters horse trailer which can gross 14,000 lbs. They have a 15" which is the only one I would trust in your situation. A little pricey but piece of mind is worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by ONTHECOAST View Post
                      That's because the tread separates just before it blows. Try those Carlisle CSL16 I suggested, I have the 16" version on my living quarters horse trailer which can gross 14,000 lbs. They have a 15" which is the only one I would trust in your situation. A little pricey but piece of mind is worth it.

I'm looking into them, thanks

Comment

Sorry, I haven't figured out how to share a link on my phoneClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210626-133020.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	2411109

Comment

You are not accounting for the % of weight that is on the tongue. General rule would be 10-15% of the load is transferred to the hitch.

so in your case the max the trailer/boat/goodies can be 5660. Of that number approx 566 to 849lbs is on the hitch leaving you with...

5094lb to 4811lb on the axle... you can find out what that number really is by going to a CAT scale.

What is the axle limit?
                          What brand of tires ? china bombers?cheap is bad...
                          Is the trailer in alignment? do the tires wear funny? cupping?
                          do you balance the tires?
                          what is the speed rating of the tires and are you exceeding that number? most trailer tires except for a few mentioned have a speed limit of 67 mph.. endurance tires are 87mph...

and lastly how old are the tires that failed not when they were put on but when they were made? 5 years is the expect life of a trailer tire....

Comment

Originally posted by curver900 View Post
                            You are not accounting for the % of weight that is on the tongue. General rule would be 10-15% of the load is transferred to the hitch.

so in your case the max the trailer/boat/goodies can be 5660. Of that number approx 566 to 849lbs is on the hitch leaving you with...

5094lb to 4811lb on the axle... you can find out what that number really is by going to a CAT scale.

What is the axle limit?
                            What brand of tires ? china bombers?cheap is bad...
                            Is the trailer in alignment? do the tires wear funny? cupping?
                            do you balance the tires?
                            what is the speed rating of the tires and are you exceeding that number? most trailer tires except for a few mentioned have a speed limit of 67 mph.. endurance tires are 87mph...

and lastly how old are the tires that failed not when they were put on but when they were made? 5 years is the expect life of a trailer tire....
                            The boat and trailer are brand new, I pick the boat up last fall and it went directly into my garage. I estimate less than 500 miles on the new trailer.

The tires were the tires that came on the trailer from the factory, Trailer King RST.

I drive 20 miles to and from the marina on roads that have a speed limit of 40 MPH, the only time I may have exceeded the speed limit of the tires was when I brought the boat home from the dealer and when I took it back for the 25 hour service, about 100 miles each way.

Comment

Working...
                            X