"The Vault" failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Vault" failed

Just wanted to share this so others can be aware.

Let me set a stage I own a 2018 NXT22 with the low pro trailer. My trailer has 1550 highway miles the remainder is local around a small lake town between our place, storage and gas stations probably less then a 100 miles or so.

Saturday I towed my boat home 2 hrs north in preparation for a trip the following week 8hrs west to Lake Havasu.

Sunday-around 8 pm I discovered my port side hubs were leaking.

Monday- My dealer is closed on Sunday and Monday so I called MC directly hoping for some help on which seal the hubs take i specifically asked for same day help cause the dealer was closed. They took the my info and created a ticket and sent it to the dealer. In the mean time on Monday I tracked down the correct vault seal and cross referenced the dimensions to national seal 470460. Purchased seals and regular marine grease, bearing buddy caps and bras then tore the 1st hub apart and discovered the outer bearing was trashed. So I replaced the outter race, outer bearing and seal and repacked everything put it all together and then did same on the second wheel. The second didn't need bearings as it appears water had not got in like the first. I did find the spindle was loose from the axle the spindle could slide in and out by a quarter inch. I was able to re torque that and solve it, but potentially pretty dangerous. Also on the first hub the leak was bad enough that the brakes are caked in grease. Which I did my best to clean

Tuesday morning called the service manager at my dealer to ask him to get the parts ordered so they could replace everything under warranty when I take it in to be winterized in 2 weekends. Couple hours later I get a call back that its a hard no mastercraft will not cover the repair or parts. They sited the ticket created where I asked for help identifying the seal as evidence that I had fixed my trailer on my own.

Wednesday evening I plan to get on the rode with my family in the tow vehicle and drive 8 hrs to our final destination.

What would you have done?
    NXT22guy
    TT Regular
    Last edited by NXT22guy; 10-16-2021, 11:37 PM.
    2018 Mastercraft NXT22
    2001 Stingray 200lx-sold
    2006 Honda Aquatrax F12x-sold
    2004 Honda Aquatrax R12x-sold
    1980 EBKO Cobra-sold
    1995 Macgregor 26s
    1998 Macgregor 26x-sold
    2001 SeaDoo GTI-sold
    1995 SeaDoo GTX-sold
    1995 SeaDoo XP-sold
    1981 Macgregor 25-sold

Let me start with, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I understand why you did what you did and probably would have done the same thing myself in the same situation.

That said once you "opened the box" and started working on the trailer yourself you pretty much void the warranty. You also replaced components with non OEM components (grease, seals, bearings, race, etc.) which would void warranties with just about any product from any manufacture I'm aware of. That and doing so is probably clearly stated in their warranty declaration. None of this is unique to MasterCraft. I work for a server manufacture and if you replaced memory, a power supply, fan or a processor with one sourced from anywhere else but us (and in many cases not replaced by us) your warranty claim would be revoked.

Based on your note it would seem clear to me you know what you're doing and effected a good repair but somewhere in there with all your experience you had to know what you were doing had a good chance of voiding the warranty claim. I mean you knew you where using the wrong grease and cross referenced bearings and seals. Do that with something like a BMW and see what the dealer experience and results are.

Again, would I have done the same thing to save the vacation? Most likely. Would I expect the dealer to put everything back to stock for me or pay for my parts afterward? Probably not. I honestly don't think your results would have been any different with another vendor car or boat.

Comment

The magnuson-moss act I believe is what you need to site.

Dealer and MC must prove what you did caused more damage.

Depending on what you spent, your time may be more valuable than demanding review by MC.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Here are images of the worst hub for reference.
        Attached Files
        NXT22guy
        TT Regular
        Last edited by NXT22guy; 10-16-2021, 11:39 PM.
        2018 Mastercraft NXT22
        2001 Stingray 200lx-sold
        1980 EBKO Cobra-sold
        1995 Macgregor 26s
        1998 Macgregor 26x-sold
        2001 SeaDoo GTI-sold
        1995 SeaDoo GTX-sold
        1995 SeaDoo XP-sold
        1981 Macgregor 25-sold

Comment

i think the bigger bummer here is that an almost new trailer failed like this to start with.

id have done the same as you did - fix it and dont ruin your vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
            i think the bigger bummer here is that an almost new trailer failed like this to start with.

id have done the same as you did - fix it and dont ruin your vacation.

100% wild for it to be having these issues. The repair parts were under 100 dollars which is negligible and I certainly am not interested in a refund on that all I was hoping for is MC to put it back to stock and resume the warranty.
            NXT22guy
            TT Regular
            Last edited by NXT22guy; 10-16-2021, 11:44 PM.
            2018 Mastercraft NXT22
            2001 Stingray 200lx-sold
            1980 EBKO Cobra-sold
            1995 Macgregor 26s
            1998 Macgregor 26x-sold
            2001 SeaDoo GTI-sold
            1995 SeaDoo GTX-sold
            1995 SeaDoo XP-sold
            1981 Macgregor 25-sold

Comment

Originally posted by NXT22guy View Post
              Just wanted to share this so others can be aware.

What would you have done?
              I would have done as you did... the parts are relatively cheap and TBH now you know it is put together right... every 2 years you should repack anyway... you find issues when you take it apart...

warranties are great when you have trouble at home M-F during working hours... sadly stuff breaks outside those windows most times...

and a great example of time or money...

be happy you were able to fix it relatively cheap !

Comment

Originally posted by curver900 View Post
                I would have done as you did... the parts are relatively cheap and TBH now you know it is put together right... every 2 years you should repack anyway... you find issues when you take it apart...

warranties are great when you have trouble at home M-F during working hours... sadly stuff breaks outside those windows most times...

and a great example of time or money...

be happy you were able to fix it relatively cheap !
                Check this out! Supposedly nothing is required for these. Update this warranty is non-transferable from first owner per dexter.
                Attached Files
                NXT22guy
                TT Regular
                Last edited by NXT22guy; 10-16-2021, 11:45 PM.
                2018 Mastercraft NXT22
                2001 Stingray 200lx-sold
                1980 EBKO Cobra-sold
                1995 Macgregor 26s
                1998 Macgregor 26x-sold
                2001 SeaDoo GTI-sold
                1995 SeaDoo GTX-sold
                1995 SeaDoo XP-sold
                1981 Macgregor 25-sold

Comment

When I bought my 2019, 1 year old, there was grease on inside of the wheel, rear seal had failed. Upon inspection the wheel nut was loose, not torqued to spec, thus causing the failure. So new brake pads, seals, and of special note used the special Oil+Grease specifically for the vault. I went though all 4 wheels and repacked/torqued all of them. Sometimes it's just easier and less time to do it yourself as at that time was taking the boat 4 hours to Ft Worth to get it worked on.

Comment

Sometimes it's just easier and less time to do it yourself as at that time was taking the boat 4 hours to Ft Worth to get it worked on.
                    ^^ Amen to this ^^

DIY and you know it's done right

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
                      The magnuson-moss act I believe is what you need to site.

Dealer and MC must prove what you did caused more damage.

Depending on what you spent, your time may be more valuable than demanding review by MC.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                      Nice try but the owner modified the trailer and now wants the company to put it back to stock and at their cost. Once he used parts/materials that didn't meet spec there's no way this one passes the sniff test.

Again, not saying he didn't have an issue that should have and would have been covered by a warranty claim, that to me is not the issue. The issue is he used non OEM components including grease that didn't even meet spec and now wants the manufacture to put it back to stock for him. Not Ga Da happen unless they do it for customer satisfaction.

As to the Vault system in general. I'm 4 seasons on mine and I have 2 friends with the same system one with 5 seasons the other with 7. No issues and no one has touched them. Do things go wrong with anything built by man? Ask any of the 1500 that died on the Titanic and I think you'd get a resounding yes. Do I think you had a valid claim before you fixed it? Absolutely. Do I think they owe it to you to back out your work and bring it back to stock? Sorry, I don't.

So the next question I have is do you plan to put the system back to stock? I'm sure you have a very different opinion of the system based on your skills but I personally would be hard pressed not to "fix it right" and by that I mean back to original specs. But that's just me.

Comment

You might be better off leaving the parts you installed on. I've seen a lot of vault failures recently on low mileage/age trailers. If you want to put it back to factory, here's the catalog and procedure:
                        https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...708-00ufp).pdf
                        http://www.loadrite.com/wp-content/u...-02-15.psd.pdf

I'd check out waymires.com to order parts from. They will probably be cheaper than buying them from your dealer (assuming MC doesn't change their stance on paying for the parts).

Comment

Originally posted by Mystic3D View Post
                          Sometimes it's just easier and less time to do it yourself as at that time was taking the boat 4 hours to Ft Worth to get it worked on.
                          True.... And TXMC has actually worked with me on replacing a crank position sensor once so it didn't ruin our weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by allzway View Post
                            True.... And TXMC has actually worked with me on replacing a crank position sensor once so it didn't ruin our weekend.
                            TXMC Best Dealer Experience ever, cars, boats, bikes, never had any dealer take care of me like they do.

Comment

Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
                              Nice try but the owner modified the trailer and now wants the company to put it back to stock and at their cost. Once he used parts/materials that didn't meet spec there's no way this one passes the sniff test.

Again, not saying he didn't have an issue that should have and would have been covered by a warranty claim, that to me is not the issue. The issue is he used non OEM components including grease that didn't even meet spec and now wants the manufacture to put it back to stock for him. Not Ga Da happen unless they do it for customer satisfaction.

As to the Vault system in general. I'm 4 seasons on mine and I have 2 friends with the same system one with 5 seasons the other with 7. No issues and no one has touched them. Do things go wrong with anything built by man? Ask any of the 1500 that died on the Titanic and I think you'd get a resounding yes. Do I think you had a valid claim before you fixed it? Absolutely. Do I think they owe it to you to back out your work and bring it back to stock? Sorry, I don't.

So the next question I have is do you plan to put the system back to stock? I'm sure you have a very different opinion of the system based on your skills but I personally would be hard pressed not to "fix it right" and by that I mean back to original specs. But that's just me.
                              I am pending to see the outcome. My dealer is trying a different angle. The owner has already offered to get me anything I need to put it back to stock at his cost. However... I would make the argument it is fixed right. The only reason I want it back to stock is so the warranty can resume incase there is something else going on here. To have to hub seals fail with as few miles as I have I just can't wrap my head around that. Standard marine grease and standard seals have been the tried and true solution on trailers for many years for a reason.
                              NXT22guy
                              TT Regular
                              Last edited by NXT22guy; 10-16-2021, 11:51 PM.
                              2018 Mastercraft NXT22
                              2001 Stingray 200lx-sold
                              1980 EBKO Cobra-sold
                              1995 Macgregor 26s
                              1998 Macgregor 26x-sold
                              2001 SeaDoo GTI-sold
                              1995 SeaDoo GTX-sold
                              1995 SeaDoo XP-sold
                              1981 Macgregor 25-sold

Comment