hard steering left under power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard steering left under power

my 95 maristar 200vrs is very hard to turn left under any power. ive replaced the steering cables this summer. i am now wondering if the rudder is bent? any advice would help!

turn left from steering position - or when you let go o steering wheel?
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Have you greased the rudder?

Comment

Another thing to consider is the prop. My 95 200 MariStar came with a 3 blade. I didn't like the way it handled or pulled. I switched to a 4 Blade OJ and it was night and day both in performance and handling. You may want to consider calling Eric at OJ and seeing what he recommends for your boat.

Comment

i did put a oj 4 blade on it. it didnt seem to make a difference tho

Comment

i can let go of the wheel and it'll go in the direction it was heading. if im driving straight and want to turn left its hard to steer

Comment

Left hand rotation inboards are naturally a little harder to turn left. They normally turn right with ease. You might have a problem with rudder bearing/bushing. I'm not exactly sure whats in there. You could try greasing and if that doesnt fix it, i would say it needs a rebuid. http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1123 here are the kits, i would call, they'll get you what you need.

Comment

I had the same issue and found the rudder box bone dry and zerk rusted shut. If you have a zerk, can you grease it to the point where it purges out the weep hole in the bottom?

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58370
                -Matt

Comment

Your rudder has probably been ground on the right side trailing edge...this is to create a load on the steering system...this eliminates any slack in the system an makes the boat much easier to drive in a straight line in the course.

To rectify...grind the left trailing edge of you rudder...it doesn't take much...just roughly match what was done on the right side.

Don't worry, if you over do it and get load pulling to the right, just take a little more off of the right trailing edge of the rudder.

If you want a neutral feel...it is just about getting balance.

Comment

Check that the rudder box is not bent. I had issues with my Maristar and replaced the steering cable and greased everything and still had the problem until I realized the rudder box was bent.

Comment

Working...
                    X