Shaft problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaft problem

Hi guys. Recently I have been doing some prop testing. That means taking props off and on. Well my puller puts a small dent in the back of the shaft. Now I have done it enough that the dent has went and pushed into my cotter key hole. Now the cotter pin wont fit. I have been running metal safety wire which works but I would like to do it right. I tried drilling the cotter hole out but just broke the bit. Can I drill out the hole in the back of the shaft that the puller has made?

Thanks guys.
    Btw Im running a nylon nut not a castle nut.

some pics would help here....
    Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843

Comment

Drill it. to clean up cotter pin hole
      . Imo
      sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Thanks do you mean drill the back of the shaft where the dent is or the actual cotter pin hole?

Comment

I believe I would just use a smaller cotter key. If you drill anything all you'll be doing is making it weaker. If you do so, the next time you use your puller, it'll only make it cave in easier. May want to try using a 1/4" nut or a few washers stacked between puller and shaft to even out the pressure. Most shafts have been center drilled to accept the puller. That's why the puller is pointed. Also remember to change the nut every two or three uses. The nylon gets worn by the threads and becomes non effective.

Comment

I would like to drill out the back to accept the pointed puller.

Comment

That's why I suggested stacked washers or a small nut between puller and shaft. Removing any material will make it weaker in that area. I completely understand what you're saying, but just think if it moves anymore you'll likely start damaging the threads on the end of the shaft. It may work, but I'd just hate to chance it on a $300 shaft

Comment

here is a pic. The cotter hole and the dent is behind the threads. I dont think it could damage the threads at all. Its just in that back part of the shaft.
                Attached Files

Comment

Ahhhh... I gotcha, I was expecting it to look like mine. It's threaded to the end and the cotter pin hole is actually in threads. Looks like you'll be OK to drill both ways. Better get a good drill bit though. High speed drill to avoid grabbing and breaking and take your time.

Comment

Yeah thanks. Im hoping from the back will work better because it will always be in contact with metal. In the cotter hole it is only in contact on one side causing it to break.

Comment

Is the broken drill bit still in there? Luckily you can probably punch it out the otherside if so.

Get a harmonic prop puller and forget your woes - You could also probably dull the point of the puller so it sits more on the taper instead of in the bottom of the hole.

For the hole itself - do you have a fine round file smaller than the cotterpin? it needs to be a good hard file - but I think since the shaft is so hard you might do better filing the raised area off instead of drilling.

Don't know this for sure - but the shafts are probably machined, hardened and then ground to finished dimensions. So that metal in there is likely pretty hard stuff.

Comment

Yeah its not my puller so cant do that. Im done pulling props so I will probably get a smaller pin and just leave it.

Comment

Working...
                        X