Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to cut or not to cut

2004 197, 1,000 hrs, original owner
    I replaced my cutlass bearings (about time) and the prop shaft had some wear at the cutlass bearing location so i decided to replace it since I had everything apart.
    Called my local MasterCraft service department to get a new one. Told him it was 49 1/2 inches long, 1 1/8. splined at bothe ends. also gave him my hull number.
    No problem, have them in stock, $500 plus shipping.
    So I get the shaft and it's 49 inches, not 49 1/2.
    Check it out on the boat and the prop would butt up against the strut. no clearance. you need the 1/2 to get a prop puller behind the prop.
    Called up the service guy and he says that is the correct shaft length, 49 inches, for that hull number. Maybe someone changed out the strut or shaft. told him i am the original owner and its original equipment.
    He says to cut 1/2 inch off the strut and make it work. He is currently going to contact MasterCraft and inquire about the 1/2 inch.

We ski the course religiously and am worried about the wake changing if i move the prop 1/2 inch back

so cut or no cut the strut? And why didn't i get a 49 1/2 inch shaft?
    Attached Files
    CHEERS, Where we skiing tomorrow?

04 X7
    99 205 ProStar LT1 sold

Love the color of the boat.
    I’d want same as what i took off and would not want to cut the strut unless I had email from someone at MC engineering saying that was right answer. Seems really weird.
    Hard to believe it would change the wake much but you never know.
    The prop puller point is very valid.
    Where are your motor mounts in the adjustment range? Can you slide the whole engine / trans back 1/2”?
    Good luck. Curious what you hear from MC.

Comment

I believe, you are correct, on changing boat performance.

As the top of the prop, would be closer to the bottom of the boat, and prop would have slightly less leverage, to plane the boat properly.

I'd call DIY, ask them. I believe they order to length. They offer, emergency service.

To cut the strut, would mean removing the strut, then possible future cutlass bearing issues.

Since, you have the old shaft to measure, that's the correct length. Unless, there are different length couplers, available. That year (mid year parts change)
      sigpic Ayyyy!

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.

Comment

I wouldn’t cut it.

Comment

I’m guessing here, but I think MC consolidated some shaft lengths because your not the first to run into this. Someone else on here recently had their shaft replaced and found it to be 1/2 inch shorter than original. They discovered it because they went to replace the propeller with a bigger one (that should have fit) and found it was too close to the hull.
          There may be better ways to relax than being on a boat...I just haven't found one yet!

Comment

Do not cut the strut. That advice is a crock of doo doo from someone ill-informed. It's a shame they said that because that is what they are also willing to butcher someone else's boat as well...not to mention yours.

Get the correct length shaft.

Call Elberts (dot com) in Oregon and find out the straight skinny on the available lengths. That is from where they (the A.R.E. shaft product) are distributed.

Your call. I could be wrong but that is just not a practical solution.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 08-12-2019, 05:03 PM.
            93 190
            (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
              Do not cut the strut. That advice is a crock of doo doo from someone ill-informed. It's a shame they said that because that is what they are also willing to butcher someone else's boat as well...not to mention yours.

Get the correct length shaft.

Call Elberts (dot com) in Oregon and find out the straight skinny on the available lengths. That is from where they (the A.R.E. shaft product) are distributed.

Your call. I could be wrong but that is just not a practical solution.

+1 on that waterlogged
              There may be better ways to relax than being on a boat...I just haven't found one yet!

Comment

Not a chance you should cut, something is not quite adding up here on this one. Eberts had replacement shafts … quick call to them to weigh in on your model.
                Ski in snow, ski in water, and always have fun!

2008 Prostar 214 MCX
                1995 Prostar 190 "Evil Minion"
                Previous 93 Prostar 190 1.5:1 GT40

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
                "Do you have Flake on that boat?"

Comment

Thanks for the posts,
                  Called Elberts first, He said he can make one for $700 but it would be tapered at the hub end. OEM is splined. I'm mcocd so id like to keep it that way, splined not so much the ocd.
                  I was surprised that the MasterCraft one was cheaper, never thought i'd see that day'.

Have a call into the shop manager to see if he found out anything more from MasterCraft.

I liked the idea of moving the motor back but don't think that's an option.
                  Thanks again for the input.

04 X7
                  99 205 ProStar LT1 sold

Comment

You move the motor and you will change the engineered LCG(longitudinal center of gravity) of the boat - don't do that either. The shift in LCG would be CG'(prime) and if you wanted to keep the LCG as built, you would have to place a weight in front of the boat somewhere, equal to the Moments you created. W x D = M; but you need to know the displacement of the boat to get the formula right. Your displacement would remain the same on the engine shift but LCG would increase AFT(negative)
                    1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

found this as the 1st hit on google, so they are out there
                      https://inboardgarage.com/underwater...5-x-1-1-8-x-4/

Comment

@bret.
                        If you assume motor is pretty close to CG of boat (which seems to be true of you look at motor position vs axle centerline when on the trailer), +/- 5 gal of gas would potentially make more of a difference than 1/2” motor move.

Comment

Originally posted by stig View Post
                          found this as the 1st hit on google, so they are out there
                          https://inboardgarage.com/underwater...5-x-1-1-8-x-4/
                          Never heard of this company. Looks like, they have a bunch of small parts and such.
                          sigpic Ayyyy!

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.

Comment

Originally posted by MIskiboat View Post
                            Love the color of the boat.
                            I’d want same as what i took off and would not want to cut the strut unless I had email from someone at MC engineering saying that was right answer. Seems really weird.
                            Hard to believe it would change the wake much but you never know.
                            The prop puller point is very valid.
                            Where are your motor mounts in the adjustment range? Can you slide the whole engine / trans back 1/2”?
                            Good luck. Curious what you hear from MC.
                            You won't want to do this as it can/will change the wake. If you want your boat to ski the same, the engine has to be in the same spot. Just ask malibu about this. When they had their hydrophonic dampening box in the mid/late 90's the way they put their boats together gave tolerance to engine placement since they had a slot for the prop shaft to leave the bottom of the boat instead of a fixed location. Two boats off the line in the same day could ski different because there was tolerance in engine placement.

Oh, and don't cut your strut. That advice is ca-ca.
                            2003 ProStar 197, MCX and Powerslot.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson
                            "Freedom is beneficial to everyone equally" - Ron Paul
                            Taxation = Theft

Comment

Update,
                              The service guy talked to MasterCraft and says MC doesn't make the 49 1/2 anymore. Told me again to just cut the strut but he will give me a refund on the 49 inch shaft I purchased.
                              So I ordered the 49 1/2 from InboardGaradge. Thanks Stig,

04 X7
                              99 205 ProStar LT1 sold

Comment

Working...
                              X