Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fglenn View Post
    Update,
    The service guy talked to MasterCraft and says MC doesn't make the 49 1/2 anymore. Told me again to just cut the strut but he will give me a refund on the 49 inch shaft I purchased.
    So I ordered the 49 1/2 from InboardGaradge. Thanks Stig,
    That too would have been my decision.

Did the guy (maybe) mention that he asked MC about cutting on the strut? I could not imagine doing that and have never heard of it but.....

Keep us posted on the repair and the results.

93 190
    (safe click)

Comment

Having same problem, same boat model. Shop had one with pn for boat's serial number, was 49". Looked up alternate pn, ordered shaft-had 49.5" on box, shaft measured 50". Dealer ordered another, same thing. Decided to reuse original shaft after discussion with shop, as I had replaced bent strut which cured original problem(was hard to turn shaft). Per shop, if there is no vibration, shaft is ok. Now having difficulty putting prop back on, only goes on 1/2 way(same almost new prop and shaft). fglenn: was the shaft you received from InboardGarage correct? May order one for spare, or if original causes vibration.

Comment

Originally posted by grimsweeper View Post
        Having same problem, same boat model. Shop had one with pn for boat's serial number, was 49". Looked up alternate pn, ordered shaft-had 49.5" on box, shaft measured 50". Dealer ordered another, same thing. Decided to reuse original shaft after discussion with shop, as I had replaced bent strut which cured original problem(was hard to turn shaft). Per shop, if there is no vibration, shaft is ok. Now having difficulty putting prop back on, only goes on 1/2 way(same almost new prop and shaft). fglenn: was the shaft you received from InboardGarage correct? May order one for spare, or if original causes vibration.
        Make sure you have the prop properly oriented. The prop may very well be a tapered hub to fit a tapered shaft.

Or you may have a splined shaft...thus a moot point.

Have you tried Elbert's shop?
        93 190
        (safe click)

Comment

Yes, splined shaft, same prop and shaft removed to replace strut. Tried spare prop, same thing. Usually 10-15 minute job.

Comment

Just put the original shaft back on and go. Some wear on the shaft is fine and normal with debris and style of bearing this is.

Comment

All back together, will try it out Sunday. Original shaft, new strut. Finally got prop back on, took some persuasion with large hammer. Never going to Lake Livingston(East Texas) again. Thanks ya'll.

Comment

Originally posted by grimsweeper View Post
                All back together, will try it out Sunday. Original shaft, new strut. Finally got prop back on, took some persuasion with large hammer. Never going to Lake Livingston(East Texas) again. Thanks ya'll.
                Drive it like you stole it.

93 190
                (safe click)

Comment

Working...
                X