Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot get the prop off the shaft (2006 X-30)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot get the prop off the shaft (2006 X-30)

Question for the hive mind:

I bought a ACME 1285 to replace the factory prop on my 06 X-30;

Got this far:

removed cotter pin and nut.

Harmonic puller (superb btw - effortless) broke the seal on the taper and the prop is free.

Gently wiggled the prop down the shaft and now NO MATTER what attack angles/rudder position/trying gently/trying brute force I cannot for the life of me get the prop the last few mm to clear the end of the prop shaft.

I don't think I've missed anything, and I have milked youtube to death but I cannot find a solution.

Do I REALLY have to remove the rudder to do this?

Thanks for any and all input.

I’ve found that cocking the rudder to one side works to free one edge then spin the steering wheel to the other direction allows the other side to come off. Ive never heard the rudder needs to be removed. Good luck man!! And Happy Easter!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maristar210 View Post
      I’ve found that cocking the rudder to one side works to free one edge then spin the steering wheel to the other direction allows the other side to come off. Ive never heard the rudder needs to be removed. Good luck man!! And Happy Easter!!
      Thanks - I did try that but maybe didn't persevere long enough?

I will definitely have another go. Nothing else to do as the lakes are closed Grrrr.

Thanks for the tip and Happy Easter as well!

Comment

I have laid under there and said “what the hell” more than once but it WILL come off..

Comment

Just a little bit of heat will help too

Comment

I did it a few weeks ago and if you slowly spin the prop around the rudder. The rudder is offset so you can get the prop off.

Comment

Yea it’s crazy.... you wiggle for an hour give up stand up then it falls off....

Comment

First lightly screw the driveshaft nut back on a few turns. Get a small block of wood like a 10” long 2x4 and a hammer. Place the wood on the backside of the inner hub and give the block a good 5-6 hard whacks then rotate your prop and repeat. Prop should break loose.

Comment

Originally posted by gwozhog View Post
                  First lightly screw the driveshaft nut back on a few turns. Get a small block of wood like a 10” long 2x4 and a hammer. Place the wood on the backside of the inner hub and give the block a good 5-6 hard whacks then rotate your prop and repeat. Prop should break loose.
                  He’s got the prop loose - he can’t get it past the rudder.
                  Keep trying - it does come off without removing the rudder. I swap my a couple times each year (different props depending on altitude of the lake).

Comment

I found that; tail of the rudder all the way to port, twist the prop counter clockwise while sliding it back and allow the blades to go around rudder while tilting the prop down and to the starboard got it to come clear of the rudder.

If all else fails disconnect the rudder cable from the tiller arm and swing the rudder farther to the port.

Owned an 06 X30 for many years.
                    -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Originally posted by Skyskiguy View Post
                      He’s got the prop loose - he can’t get it past the rudder.
                      Keep trying - it does come off without removing the rudder. I swap my a couple times each year (different props depending on altitude of the lake).
                      Oh I misread. Sounds like someone’s replaced that drive shaft with a longer one. I would remove the 4- 5/8” bolts on the transmission coupling and slide the driveshaft forward. Then the prop should come off. Much easier than dropping the rudder

Comment

Working...
                      X