leaking rudder issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaking rudder issue

2010 x15 the rudder has play and leaks water - im reading about a bushing and o-ring
    anyone have experience with this repair - I know I can send it off but looking for the easy way so I can hit the lake.

If you have excessive play in the rudder shaft a seal or grease is not going to fix it. I went that route several years ago with no joy. Unfortunately there's no quick fix. Either replace the port or get it rebuilt. When you pull the rudder make sure you check it as well. The shaft on mine was bent which was the root cause to the bushing in the rudder port wearing out.

Comment

thank you, guess ill check with local dealer about parts.

Comment

O.J. will rebuild your rudder port for $75, just had mine done. My rudder was sloppy in the bore. It is a pain to get out. On a V-drive it might be a real mother to get to.
        Attached Files
        https://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/302328.png
        1988 prostar 190 SOLD
        2001 Prostar 209 SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by zsqure View Post
          O.J. will rebuild your rudder port for $75, just had mine done. My rudder was sloppy in the bore. It is a pain to get out. On a V-drive it might be a real mother to get to.
          Nah it’s easy to get out. Just got to make a slide hammer.

Go to YouTube and search this.

How to remove a rudder port box on a mastercraft

Comment

My friend had a Ski Nautique with about 1/4" play (side to side) and leaking water. Replaced the packing material inside (same as for a prop shaft), and the play and leak went away. Took all of two hours and about $20 for the packing.

Comment

Originally posted by zsqure View Post
              Z -I’m thinking I have to do this same thing on my 08 x-14. How did you determine yours needed it. I have a post in the x-14 thread with video of mine I took.

Comment

Originally posted by jpete View Post
                2010 x15 the rudder has play and leaks water - im reading about a bushing and o-ring
                anyone have experience with this repair - I know I can send it off but looking for the easy way so I can hit the lake.
                I have a 2010 x15 as well. I might be having the same issue. I'm not sure why there's not a zerk on this rudder like my 205 did. Did you figure out a fix?
                2010 X-15
                SOLD 1994 205
                2011 Pathfinder
                2016 Ford Flex
                3 kids, a wife, and a boat dog
                1 kid in college

Comment

check my posts regarding replacing the sleeve in your rudder box without removing the whole box

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...=100588&page=3

Comment

Working...
                  X