Rudder port puller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudder port puller

The rudder port on my boat has been leaking for a while. Finally took the time to pull it so it could be rebuilt.

I'd read all the posts about using heat and beating on the port until it broke free. I tried that for a bit but wasn't crazy about the process and it wasn't budging. There was zero clearance between the port and the hull so wedging something in there wasn't happening either.

I rigged up the puller seen below. Used a piece of threaded rod and some stout c-channel scrap. Ran a 4x4 post across and under the trailer beams. Put 2 large C clamps on it and it popped right off. I actually couldn't believe how easy it was. No gel damage at all. Thought it might be a useful tip for someone in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BrianS; 12-07-2020, 09:39 PM.

Interesting and thanks. I'll make note of that.

One other thing to consider...if I may? No room for anything to get behind the plate? I have used a 1" wide wood chisel which is tapered on one side, quite sharply. With the beveled edge away the hull, tap on it. Hammer size is your decision. So far I have had good luck with several. No gel damage.

93 190
    John 14:6
    2 Peter 1:3–8
    Matthew 6:1-4

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
      One other thing to consider...if I may? No room for anything to get behind the plate? I have used a 1" wide wood chisel which is tapered on one side, quite sharply. With the beveled edge away the hull, tap on it. Hammer size is your decision.
      I tried a very thin putty knife which I sharpened to a knife edge. Tapped with a hammer and couldn't get it to slide under. On my boat the port is recessed up in a pocket and you really only have access to the one side at the rear. A wood chisel may have worked, the putty knife was too flimsy. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Nice!!!
        09 214 Prostar with MCX

Comment

Pretty good idea. I built a slide hammer out of some weights and pipe. Came off in seconds.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ***MUH1x0

Comment

Getting ready to reinstall my rudder port. Anyone have a good tip for removing the leftover sealant that is stuck to the hull? Going to attack it with a razor blade but wondering if there is a better way?

Comment

Wd 40 or vinegar.. spray on wait till it softens.. you can try accetone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
              sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Where did you find the port ? Part # ?
                If she don't shine , she ain't mine

Comment

Originally posted by mike koen View Post
                  Where did you find the port ? Part # ?

Just send the old one back to OJ. They rebuild it and send it back to you. I think it was like $75.

Comment

Well, got it done. Used a razor blade to scrape the majority off, then used a nylon wheel on the Dremel to remove the rest. Tried acetone but it just smeared it around.

Couple pics below. No play in the rudder now, hope this resolves the leak as well.

Comment

I need to get this done . MCOCD.
                      If she don't shine , she ain't mine

Comment

Originally posted by BrianS View Post
                        Well, got it done. Used a razor blade to scrape the majority off, then used a nylon wheel on the Dremel to remove the rest. Tried acetone but it just smeared it around.

Couple pics below. No play in the rudder now, hope this resolves the leak as well.

Nice work! I couldn’t bring myself to try this myself, mainly due to fear of Gel coat damage, so I had dealer for it at end of season. I used the boat once or twice before it was winterized, but it seemed to fix our leak from the port. Hope it did yours as well!

Comment

Glad I've found this thread as I'm having the same issue on my boat.

Comment

Working...
                          X