New Vibrations (not the good kind)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Vibrations (not the good kind)

I have a 2001 ProStar 190 that I acquired January of 2021 and it has run smooth as butter. The other day, I clipped a submerged log with the prop. Made a fair amount of noise and saw some chunks of wood in the prop wash. Figured I dinged my propeller as I seemed to notice some increased vibration but the water was a little rough so not really sure. When I got home, I inspected the prop strut, rudder and found no damage. Skied again a couple days later and could not say for sure there if it was vibrating pulling my buddy at 28 MPH, he wanted to try 34 MPH just for kicks which is where I really noticed increased vibration in smooth water.

I figured my shaft was bent but after reading another thread here where the strut was bent but the shaft not, Iā€™m not sure of my diagnosis.

So, what would the trouble shooting steps be to determine where the vibration is coming from?

Thanks for your help,

Kent

You can have a slightly bent prop blade without actually being able to see physical damage. Props are more likely to give before anything else. If you have a spare prop, I'd throw that on first. Easiest thing to check (if you have a spare around - which, and I know this might be 20/20 hindsight, is a really good idea).
    Last edited by Jeffer; 10-09-2021, 01:52 AM. Reason: typo
    Jeffer

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

"5 out of 4 people have a problem with statistics..."

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffer View Post
      You can have a slightly bent prop blade without actually being able to see physical damage. Props are more likely to give before anything else. If you have a spare prop, I'd throw that on first. Easiest thing to check (if you have a spare around - which, and I know this might be 20/20 hindsight, is a really good idea).
      ^ ^ ^ this

93 190
      John 14:6
      2 Peter 1:3ā€“8
      Matthew 6:1-4
      Romans 10:9

Comment

Thanks guys, I’ll give that a try and report back. I guess I’ve never had a damaged prop that didn’t look damaged.

Comment

i did the same thing this year.. new prop and strut.. i bet your strut is bent too.. take a pick of it straight on from the back...

Comment

Tried a different prop and the vibration is gone! ��

I’ll take the original the the prop shop and see if they can fix it.

Kent

Comment

Awesome! Even though that was the easiest thing to try, seems the easiest thing usually isn't THE thing. At least not in my world (but I'm always hopeful).

So glad that was the case for you for sure! Sure saved a lot of time, headache, and money.
              Jeffer

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffer View Post
                Awesome! Even though that was the easiest thing to try, seems the easiest thing usually isn't THE thing. At least not in my world (but I'm always hopeful).

So glad that was the case for you for sure! Sure saved a lot of time, headache, and money.
                +1 ^ ^ ^

For those following, this is a good point and case, where an evidently and seemingly unscathed prop can throw a vibration. Takes very little for this scenario to creep in for unsuspecting issues.

93 190
                John 14:6
                2 Peter 1:3ā€“8
                Matthew 6:1-4
                Romans 10:9

Comment

Just to polish off the thread, got my original prop back from the shop and did a test outing to confirm the repair. Running smooth just like before, Perfect Pass recalibrated and ready to ski tomorrow!

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Kent

Comment

Very glad you dodged a bullet there on repair - easiest exit without having to dump out your wallet. BUT, I will say, I'm in Southern California and my boat is in the mountains and I took it out for the last time last week. You are a trooper skiing in the Pac NW now! Enjoy. Be safe, stay warm. Post a pic up here from being on the water!
                    Jeffer

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

Comment

Jeffer, yea, super stoked that it was just a $145 prop straitening.

It's dry suit weather for sure, the course comes out first weekend of November so gotta get my final licks in.

Here is a look at fall skiing in Oregon:

Here is my boat when I picked it up last winter:
                      Last edited by 503Kento; 10-23-2021, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Nice carve, and even more kudos to your photographer! That is a beautiful shot against the foliage, and a beautiful boat to boot!
                        Thanks for the share, sorry I was gone and didn't check the pic out sooner. I have a customer in Bend, OR, and it's one of my favorite places to visit, btw.
                        Jeffer

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

Comment

Working...
                        X