Upholstery Cleaning- My Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upholstery Cleaning- My Method

I've been asked by a few people how I clean my upholstery, so I took a few pics last night of my method and the results. To start things out, I guess I will give you a list of items I use.

-Porter Cable 7424 DA Polisher
    -Grey Upholstery Brush for Porther Cable
    -Spray Bottle of Malco Plastic and Upholstery Cleaner or LA Totally Awesome
    -Spray Bottle of Fresh Water
    -Bucket of Fresh Water
    -Car Wash Mitt
    -Towel

A quick disclaimer, I had my transhield cover on the boat in the storage unit, so the pics of the vinyl do not really pop like they do in the sun. I'll take some better pics with the cover off and boat outside later.

To Start things out, I spray the Malco or Totally Awesome on the vinyl.

Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	2443675

Begin scrubbing with the Porter Cable.

Name:	022.jpg
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	2443676

After scrubbing, I dunk the brush into a bucket of fresh water to get rid of the cleaner and spray fresh water onto the upholstery, paying close attention to the embroidery and stitching.

Name:	023.jpg
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	2443677

Once completed, I take a wash mitt with fresh water and wipe everything down and finally dry it off with a towel.

Name:	024.jpg
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	2443678
    -Cameron
    2007 ProStar 197
    1996 ProStar 190

Just as a comparison, I did the right half first and left the left side untouched.

For those guys who swear by Babe's or Hot Sauce or the other million products out there, I can assure you that you will get the same results using this method. The method above is an annual cleaning and between, I use the aforementioned products after every use. However, body oils and sunscreens get embedded in the vinyl and those products do not work well for a DEEP cleaning. They are great for everyday use to clean and protect, but a deep cleaning every year is really needed to get the interior to return to "like new".

Once I complete my annual cleaning, I always apply 303 to protect the vinyl and aid in every day cleaning for the following season.

Name:	019.jpg
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	2347915
    -Cameron
    2007 ProStar 197
    1996 ProStar 190

Comment

Here is the link for the 7424 brush. I use the grey brush with good results. The Blue soft carpet brush works well on large panels of vinyl, but based on my testing, it will slightly fray the stitching if used.

http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-brushes.html
      Attached Files
      -Cameron
      2007 ProStar 197
      1996 ProStar 190

Comment

Is that the grey brush you're using with the porter cable?

Comment

Great write up. Looks great

Comment

Looks fantastic Cam.

Comment

There you go, again, Cam, one upping the field!!!

Now I have to buy new tools! If you get hate mail from my wife just ignore it!
              -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Good info here!
                We defy the mafia!

Comment

I bought the Porter Cable 7424, brush, and Malco cleaner. WOW!!!! Talk about clean with a POP! I highly recommend this setup.

Comment

Cam thanks for posting. Especially the link. I just ordered the brush and a gallon of 303. I look forward to trying it when it comes in.
                    Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

Question: Does the Malco cleaner turn the stitching threads back white? I know LA's doesn't but I've found Oxy Clean does.

Comment

Malco turned my threads white.

Comment

Thanks Cam! I just ordered a Porter Cable and brush......good thing my birthday is in 2 weeks and my wife needed something to buy for me with my money...haha!

Going to try it first with scrubbing bubbles......then if not happy I'll get some Malco cleaner.
                          I've got 4 boats to try this on.......
                          I was njskier on here.

Comment

Here's a few pics which represent how the entire boat looks, a 2006 X2 (10 years old!). I am a far cry from having MCOCD, if you guys could see my kids on the boat I'm sure you'd cringe, but this cleaning method makes it look like I'm a full blown case!

Comment

Great work Sodar! I'd be glad to bring my boat by, and have you clean it

Comment

Working...
                              X