1994 MC Non-Carpet Replacement on the Cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 MC Non-Carpet Replacement on the Cheap

First off, hopefully this is the correct thread, didn't know if it should go here or in the Refurb thread.

So, I bought my 94 Prostar 190 in 2011 it had been ridden hard and put up wet to say the least. I have been skiing the snot out of it ever sense i got it. I have always planned on refurbishing the upholstery and the carpet. Well, Baby number 2 is due in July and I figure I should probably show the boat some love.

Here's a pic from 2011, and i've put 4 really good seasons on it sense then averaging 100 hrs a season.

The carpet was tattered, torn, and disgusting.

I did my research, i wanted to go with Deckadence, but with a 21 year old boat with almost 2000 hours on it, i figured that i would get a poor return on my $1400 flooring. Then I looked at Skideck, it was also too pricey, so I found hydroturf. I figured if it would hold up to duck hunters, it would be fine for me. But it was still going to be 300 bucks, and if i was going to spend that much I was going to toss carpet in.

So, I found Sears anti fatigue mats.
    http://www.sears.com/best-step-antif...p-00914118000P

it cost me $80 shipped. Obviously if i had a really nice boat or planned on a full restoration project, this is not what i would do... but in my circumstance it made sense. It is plenty non stick enough. All the carpet up in the hull. and on the sides is still good, so i just replaced the wear areas. here are some pics, check it out.

Notice i had to pull the raw water pump to get the front panel in and out, seems like a silly design. Also, my neighbor just replaced the back lid on his xstar from the 1 piece design to the three so i lucked out and he gave me the aluminum honeycomb. I cut it with a circular saw, taped up the edges then used a garage door seal strip to hold it in place (as opposed to the original wrap the carpet design).

Currently I'm just using the engine cal and the panels (tucking under the edges) to try it out for a little while. I didn't want to glue right away because i want to see how it holds up. This project went quick, started demo on Saturday after skiing and buttoned it up Sunday afternoon.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has used this or heard of using this? I've read other forums where boarders use it on the fiber glass swim steps.

Looks like it turned out nice......good way to cover your floor on the cheap.

Just curious though.....isn't it going to be really hot on your feet?
    I was njskier on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerseydave View Post
      Looks like it turned out nice......good way to cover your floor on the cheap.

Just curious though.....isn't it going to be really hot on your feet?
      No, surprisingly the closed cell foam is really light weight, water proof, oil resistant, and i left a sheet in the sun, just to test that theory it doesn't hold any heat at all.

Comment

I like the idea of just replacing the flat part of the flooring.
        sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Last edited by mgs96ps; 05-13-2016, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mgs96ps View Post
            What size does the material come in? Obviously you can not hide all the seams...but you did pretty good. Also, are you cutting with box knife?

Edit: Just now clicked on link.
            It was easiest to form fit the curves with a Box Knife, the seams were cut with scissors or the knife and the Tee Square. Went through about a gallon and a half of acetone and about 10 blades.

Took 3 sheets, i'll update better pics of the seam areas... essentially the entire back (skier prep area) is one piece, then one seam on either side of the engine cover (where the first piece reached to. I left it long towards the gas tank, just set the carpeted tank cover on top of the foam it helps hold it in place.

This is a trial run, if it stays in place pretty well i'll just leave it... it if it comes out in a couple of places i tucked it, then i will end up gluing it in. Just want to make sure it holds up cause i ski 3-5 days a week for as long as the lake lasts.

Comment

Great job! And for only 80 bucks, I think you definitely already helped the resale!!!

Comment

This is one thing that has gotten me confused recently with ideas like this and the anti-skid that you can get with something like line-x why people are not doing this more? Heck Line-x is even doing entry way's to local businesses any more with anti skid aggregate in their product color matched to the floor. Why not in a boat?

Comment

Originally posted by h_2_o View Post
                  This is one thing that has gotten me confused recently with ideas like this and the anti-skid that you can get with something like line-x why people are not doing this more? Heck Line-x is even doing entry way's to local businesses any more with anti skid aggregate in their product color matched to the floor. Why not in a boat?
                  I thought about a bed liner material, but its hard on skis and it gets Really HOT on the feet. I've got a couple of buddies in the boat mfg industry (grew up south of Knoxville near MC and Supra/Moomba). Carpet is still being used on the sides but no one is using it on any walking surface unless its a rug that you can pull out. There are a lot of materials out there that stay cooler, are more stain resistant and tougher than carpet. Unfortunately all of those materials are expensive... So i thought i'd give this a shot... I found it via a duck hunting forum. Some loved it and some were complaining because when they used a 2500 psi pressure washer, the material tore a little bit. I don't think that will be an issue for me.

Comment

Sea Dek is doing the interior of almost every boat ive seen recently...

Comment

Originally posted by PurdueSkier View Post
                      I thought about a bed liner material, but its hard on skis and it gets Really HOT on the feet. I've got a couple of buddies in the boat mfg industry (grew up south of Knoxville near MC and Supra/Moomba). Carpet is still being used on the sides but no one is using it on any walking surface unless its a rug that you can pull out. There are a lot of materials out there that stay cooler, are more stain resistant and tougher than carpet. Unfortunately all of those materials are expensive... So i thought i'd give this a shot... I found it via a duck hunting forum. Some loved it and some were complaining because when they used a 2500 psi pressure washer, the material tore a little bit. I don't think that will be an issue for me.

not to question you but have you been on a bed sprayed with line-x lately? they can texture it to a much softer finish than previously thought. Also the coloring of it does not need to match i've even seen white which would should help out a lot with the heat. not pushing line-x just that product that i've seen them do some fun stuff with. plus they are the only ones i know that either has or can add a uv inhibitor.

Comment

Originally posted by h_2_o View Post
                        not to question you but have you been on a bed sprayed with line-x lately? they can texture it to a much softer finish than previously thought. Also the coloring of it does not need to match i've even seen white which would should help out a lot with the heat. not pushing line-x just that product that i've seen them do some fun stuff with. plus they are the only ones i know that either has or can add a uv inhibitor.

I haven't that sounds like something to look into. I think the hatch seems could be interesting but I'm sure you could make it work. Soft line-x. Sounds awesome.

Comment

I put this in my duck boat as a hydroturf alternative, it has survived 2 seasons and still looks great. I have thought about doing this too if I ever have to pull my carpet.

Comment

the Flooring looks great man, I should have done that instead of redoing the floor with new carpet.

I got carpet from Overton's, it was about $190-$200ish.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...0&swatch=LTGRY

I got Liquid nail from Home Depot and guled it down and that was in late 2011 earlier 2012 and it looks great still. took about 2 gallons to do the entire floor and the sides.
                            1993 ProStar 190 351 Windsor
                            Red White & Blue
                            4x 7.7 JL , 10in JL sub
                            44.3 MPH

1989 Sanger O/B 1990 Yamaha 225
                            Grey & Blue
                            Pro X Series Tower w/ Super Fly High

1991 Barefoot 200 1996 Mercury 200 EFI
                            Black & White
                            63 MPH (GPS Speed)

SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by kellett5261 View Post
                              the Flooring looks great man, I should have done that instead of redoing the floor with new carpet.

I got carpet from Overton's, it was about $190-$200ish.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...0&swatch=LTGRY

I got Liquid nail from Home Depot and guled it down and that was in late 2011 earlier 2012 and it looks great still. took about 2 gallons to do the entire floor and the sides.
                              Thanks,

I was thinking of using cut down contact cement through a cheap paint sprayer hooked up to an air compressor. right now its just laying in there, but i dont think that is going to last long. i think i'm going to have to glue it.

Comment

Working...
                              X