Upholstery Options For Redoing 2005 X10 Interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upholstery Options For Redoing 2005 X10 Interior

Hi, all. I recently purchased a 2005 X10 (my first boat). The boat has been well maintained mechanically (with records and all) however the previous owner did not do a great job with the vinyl, on top of it having 15 years of use. So it's time to replace it!

I've found an upholstery shop in my area (recommended by local boat shop) that has quoted me $3500 including material to do the whole job and match it to it's original design. However, I'm not sure I'd like to blindly trust the marine vinyl they intend to use so I'd like to look into what my options are for providing the vinyl (or alternative) material myself. I understand I need about 25 yards for the project but I'll need to clarify with the upholstery shop.

I would love to add value and put something a little nicer/newer in but would also be happy if I just get the exact same basic vinyl assuming it's the same quality and durable. I've read a lot of threads on here but don't feel like I've gained much insight to this. What is a reliable / easy option for providing the material to this shop? Recommendations on a specific style, material, point of sale would all be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Well you have the cheapest price I've heard of for a boat that size. They won't even do a ProStar 190 here for that kind of money. I got 2 prices for my 07 X2 from the 2 top shops in the area, both do work for the local MC and Nautique dealer. One was $6500 - $7000 the other was $6000 - $7000.

As far as vinyl goes I've heard anywhere between $25 - $40 a yard. You can get a deal at Great Lakes skipper of they have enough of what you want or try a place like Miami.com and talk to them about what you're looking for.

I don't know if this is the case now but I know for years the company that supplied vinyl for MC wouldn't sell to the general public. I'm thinking GT Industries was doing their interiors for a while. I then heard it was Sprading. Maybe someone else has kept better up to date.

One last place to look might be these guys....

https://fabricwarehouse.com/

Whatever you choose get the best you can. The labor it typically is what costs up here.

Comment

Ask what vinyl. It’s most likely spradling vinyl which is good stuff. Where is this shop located because 3500 is dirt cheap?

Comment

This upholstery guy is about 25 miles north of Austin, TX. I feel okay about the low price since the boat shop said they use him personally. I suppose just asking him what he uses is a good idea, I'll do that and post back. Anyone have an opinion on things like plain vs carbon fiber vs cool touch etc?

Comment

If I were doing a boat now I would go to the dealer, look at as many boats as I could, find one I liked the design on and do my old boat in the new style. Or find any top manufacture and do the same. I personally like the way Nautique does their interiors but that is an "each to their own" type of thing.

As far as materials go.... to me it depends on how long you plan to keep the boat. Everyone seems to like cool feel, I don't know. I've read several threads of issues so for me that would be off the table.

Comment

To give an update here...

I went to the shop and spoke with him about materials. He has access to Spradling and another brand I wasn't familiar with. I was interested in the carbon fiber based on looks but decided against it once looking at the quality specs. This guy had more details (based on what I'm assuming is some sort of supplier pamplet) of the quality tests they run at Spradling on the material compared to what is listed on their website. Anyways, for anyone curious, all of these (products in Spradling exterior marine link below) had the same UV resistance (650+ Hours), but only 3 of the styles had the highest abbrassion (100,000), and stain resistance (what they call PermaGuard) of the lot. Those 3 styles were Beluga, Marlin, and Zander. I opted for Zander just because more color options but all seem to be their 3 best options.
            *Note- The one negative to these 3 styles is that they may be more susceptible to cold cracking. These 3 are rated at 14 degrees F whereas many of the other options (with less stain and abbrassion resistance) are listed at -10 degrees F cold crack rating. So something to consider if you're in the north vs south... luckily I live in Texas

https://spradling.group/en-us/produc...9yTm9kZToxNA==

The guy is ordering the material tomorrow and will go at it from there. I'll post pics when all said and done!

Comment

Originally posted by tdp94 View Post
              To give an update here...

I went to the shop and spoke with him about materials. He has access to Spradling and another brand I wasn't familiar with. I was interested in the carbon fiber based on looks but decided against it once looking at the quality specs. This guy had more details (based on what I'm assuming is some sort of supplier pamplet) of the quality tests they run at Spradling on the material compared to what is listed on their website. Anyways, for anyone curious, all of these (products in Spradling exterior marine link below) had the same UV resistance (650+ Hours), but only 3 of the styles had the highest abbrassion (100,000), and stain resistance (what they call PermaGuard) of the lot. Those 3 styles were Beluga, Marlin, and Zander. I opted for Zander just because more color options but all seem to be their 3 best options.
              *Note- The one negative to these 3 styles is that they may be more susceptible to cold cracking. These 3 are rated at 14 degrees F whereas many of the other options (with less stain and abbrassion resistance) are listed at -10 degrees F cold crack rating. So something to consider if you're in the north vs south... luckily I live in Texas

https://spradling.group/en-us/produc...9yTm9kZToxNA==

The guy is ordering the material tomorrow and will go at it from there. I'll post pics when all said and done!
              Good call on Spradling. They do a ton of OEM supplies for several boat manufacturers here.
              93 190
              (safe click)

Comment

Regarding the Spradling, if anyone knows, which of the vinyls seems to have the smoothest texture?

A damn otter ate my back seat last year and I want it to match as best as possible. 2001 209 Sammy Duval with white interior.

Thank you!

Comment

Upholstery Workshop Ft. Worth

Just got my 2004 X-10 cushions back from Upholstery Workshop in Ft. Worth. Great experience. Just posted this, if you're interested:

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...d.php?t=107568

Great experience throughout. I had them do everything and upgraded the vinyl. $5500 including all labor.
                  2004 X-10

186,000 miles per second - - - not just a good idea, it's the law.

Comment

If i may ask, what did they charge you?

Comment

Just over $5000 which included removing the old vinyl and foam and replacing and reinstalling all new foam and all new vinyl. Not the cheapest I could have found but it was absolutely hassle free. I dropped off the old and picked up what looks like brand new cushions throughout.
                      2004 X-10

186,000 miles per second - - - not just a good idea, it's the law.

Comment

Thank you kindly

Comment

Cushion Underlining

Having my X Star re-upholstered, and wanting to know if the underling is available. I'm looking for the fabric that has the Mastercraft logo printed on it.

Thanks

Comment

"Underlining"

Comment

Hey guys, sorry for the long delay on the update to this post. Here are the resulting photos. Although I'm happy enough with the end result, this particular shop was a pretty big headache. Overall, I give my experience a 7/10 but that is heavily based on how great the price was. $3500 for every piece on the boat with deinstallation / installation. Next best price I found was 5k+. Anyways, this was Upholstery USA (Pablo is the owner and front man) up in Cedar Park, Texas. I wouldn't recommend this shop to anyone. Initially told 6 to 8 weeks for turn-around time ended up being 5 months. I paid half up front and was essentially locked in at that point. The guy does not answer his phone and when he does, he lies to you about how much progress he's made and when he will deliver it to you (I had my boat in storage unit, he had all the pieces in his shop). I surprise showed up one day to his shop to find that 2 months in he had 0 pieces done. Over the next 3 months he stood me up multiple times (after confirming same day and then him not even acknowledging or apologizing after the fact) and made numerous partial deliveries. I did my best to stay composed so he would do a decent job. You'll see in the pics, it looks pretty good, just some minor attention to detail errors. For the price, I'll live.

Comment

Working...
                              X