Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Physical Ballast and trim switches not working but touchscreen works?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot to mention that when I disconnected that green connector on my PDM, that I got a zero air temp reading on the screen. I'm curious was your air temp zero when the connector was disconnected?

One more thing you should check is the PDM diagnostics screen in the settings menu. Here is a picture of my diagnostic screen. The diagnostic screen is an active screen, so you can press the switches and the color of the inputs should change on the diag screen. I was pressing center tab and fwd ballast switches when I took this picture. If the inputs for the switches are red or orange, try the reset button. I think the PDM is reset on each power up, so I wouldn't expect this to fix a long-term problem like this, but if I'm wrong about that then it'll be a very simple fix.

Beyond this, I can't think of anything else that can be done to prove the PDM is the issue other than replacing it. I'm assuming these switches have worked in the past, and nobody has changed the software version on the display since it's worked. I guess you could check you have the latest firmware running on the screen, and if not upgrade that before replacing the PDM. If you can post a picture of the software version page, I can tell you if you have the latest firmware for your boat. You could even reload the same firmware and that does reinitialize all the long-term memory on the screen. I doubt any of this would fix the issue, but just trying to think of anything else that could be done.

You could send me the PDM and I can bench test it for you. But that would involve having the boat out of commission while that happened.

-----------------------------------
    Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
    Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
    Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

My PDM diagnostic screen shows a bit different than yours. I do have gen 1 trim tabs but a pic of the software is below. Your diagnostic screen shows a 2nd PDM (PDM2) that I don’t have and mine has analog inputs. I only have 1 PDM and it shows red. Nothing changes color when I activate the manual trim and ballast switches and none of the grey dots changed to indicate that they were responding.
      When I activated the ballast fill/drain from the screen the PDM shows those inputs as active in green. Then they turn to grey once they pumps shut off. I could not switch between screens fast enough to show if the trim tabs change color when activated from the computer screen.

I unplugged the green input connector from the PDM but nothing changed with the temperature. When I plugged it back in, the temperature did reset to 97.5 from 101.1. I think the temperature probe must be sending a reading and it is registered with the computer but then it is inactive in sending updates. So now it’s stuck at 97.5 after leaving the compartment open to air out for an hour. It probably is close to that temp down in the compartment where the probe is located.
      I also tried unplugging the other input connectors with no change or drop reading to zero on the temp or anything else. All 3 PDM connectors were disconnected and the screen still worked albeit none of the computer switches for ballast or trim worked.

Since the diagnostic screen has a red dot next to the PDM is that a pretty good indicator of a bad PDM? Should I have a PDM2?
      Thank you!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by dpalms; 07-12-2022, 01:30 PM.

Comment

The firmware on my screen supports a 2nd PDM, but my boat doesn't have one. That's why it's red. A few of the really large models of MasterCraft have 2 PDMs. Your boat has 1 PDM.

The fact that your PDM is showing red does imply the screen understands something isn't right with the PDM. Did you try the reset faults button?

Here's the reference for latest supported firmware for each boat model. The firmware version number is basically a date code. If you have Clarion audio, then your firmware is actually newer than the reference. I don't think that's a problem. If your boat has fusion audio, then there is a newer version available. I have a fair number of the firmware update files, but I don't happen to have that one. If you post on the forum what version you're looking for, often someone will have it. But I'd only update if you have fusion audio.

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/att...hmentid=170846

At this point, if this were my boat I'd go ahead and replace the PDM. I think you've done all the diagnostics that can be done, and everything points to the PDM. I doubt there is much more a dealer could do either at this point other than replace the PDM. There are no guarantees but I'm pretty confident it's not the main screen/computer, so there is not much else it could be.

Comment

Awesome! That’s about what I figured and when I saw the PDM shows red that was reassuring. I did try and reset the diagnostic screen but it wouldn’t respond to me trying to touch/push the button. I figured because there wasn’t anything showing a fault. Sorry I meant to include that info in the last post and forgot.

I have clarion audio so it sounds like I won’t be updating the firmware.

I also responded to your PM and will send the PDM when I replace it. I really appreciate all the diagnostic info and guidance through this that you offered and provided! I will update when I get the PDM replaced.
          Thank you!

Comment

Bad news. I got a new MC PDM. Plugged it in and still no function from the switches😑. I get the same red dot next to PDM on the user menu listing all the faults. Unfortunately the problem doesn’t seem to be the PDM. Not sure where to go from here. Unless there are any more suggestions I will probably be taking it into the dealer.

Comment

Have you verified power and ground at the PDM harness? If so, what other wires are there in that harness? There should be a CAN hi and low, but not sure what color they would be. Typically they are yellow and green. You can ohm them out to see if the resistance is correct. I'd have to look up what that resistance should be.

Comment

Originally posted by bcd View Post
                Have you verified power and ground at the PDM harness? If so, what other wires are there in that harness? There should be a CAN hi and low, but not sure what color they would be. Typically they are yellow and green. You can ohm them out to see if the resistance is correct. I'd have to look up what that resistance should be.
                I’ll check and see if I can get a pic.

Comment

Seems like the only thing left is a software issue. Which seems odd if the software hasn't changed since the switches last worked, but maybe I'm making an assumption here looking back at your original post. Have these switched worked since you've had the boat? If they have, has it been anywhere the software could have been changed since the switches worked? Such as to a dealer for service?

Also, check your Factory Settings. I'm wondering if it's something like the boat model is set to a boat w/o switches or a boat with a different PDM configuration.

You could also try factory resetting the main screen on that screen. But if you're going to do that, record any info you want from how the screen is setup now. Such as any Profile you have.

I'm also wondering about the software version on your screen now. As I mentioned earlier, it's not the final version MasterCraft recommends for the X2.

Comment

I don't think it can my a CANBUS communications issue, because if that were the case the tabs wouldn't work from the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by jpwhit View Post
                      I don't think it can my a CANBUS communications issue, because if that were the case the tabs wouldn't work from the screen.
                      I’ll check the settings and reset the factory settings although I’m pretty sure I did reset the factory settings. Yes the switches have always worked and may have worked when I first de-winterized the boat this spring but I may be wrong about that. They definitely worked at the end of last season tho. I try to do my own maintenance oil changes impeller spark plugs winterization etc. myself. The last time it was at the dealer I was well before this issue started and I’ve never seen any changes to the software. With the new PDM is there something I should have done when swapping the old for the new? Or is it plug in and go.
                      I’m more than willing to update the software to see if that helps anything.
                      How do I go about getting a hold of the latest software update as well as installing the latest software? Thanks
                      Last edited by dpalms; 08-06-2022, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Replacing the PDM should be plug and play, but it can't hurt to press the reset faults button on the diag screen.

Comment

I posted in the General Section of the forum asking if anyone had that version of firmware they could send, but nothing yet.

Comment

Working...
                          X