Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please advise: 2003 197 with 1:1 transmission at mile altitude

Hi Smart Boat Peeps,

We are looking at a 2003 197, it is a couple states away and trying to figure out if a 310 hp engine with 1:1 transmission will work at high altitude or if we may need to adjust anything. Need a family boat with some good skiers. All advice appreciated.

Originally posted by levine5 View Post
    Hi Smart Boat Peeps,

We are looking at a 2003 197, it is a couple states away and trying to figure out if a 310 hp engine with 1:1 transmission will work at high altitude or if we may need to adjust anything. Need a family boat with some good skiers. All advice appreciated.
    I have the LTR in a 2000 205V (330 HP), not exactly the same motor but close. I can't image yours would struggle at elevation. We pull multiple skiers at the same time (not high altitude) no problem. Plenty of power.

Comment

It will work fine IMO. It may not have the holeshot of a gear reduction or the larger engine, but on a nearly 20 year old boat, condition would be my first consideration. If this were 2003 and you were ordering, I'd say "no way, get the MCX and the powerslot".
      Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

Unless you are pulling 36, maybe 34, mph skiers in the course with a short / quick setup I think you would be fine. Or if you are pulling jumpers.

I would think you Need to provide more description of your intended usage other than “good skiers” for answer.

I’ve seen chatter about some guys being happy with the 5.7 / 320HP in salt lake area in the new hull so would think 197 is ok since it’s smaller / less drag.

A few high elevation guys will likely chirp in too.

Comment

Working...
        X