Best stereos you've experienced...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best stereos you've experienced...

I know; this is super random. Though after a little experience I had tonight, I am all of a sudden really interested in crazy home stereo setups.

I would somewhat consider myself an audiophile- I do enjoy a good stereo (who doesn't?). Just for reference, I would say I have pretty nice audio gear; Sonos, AirPods max, Cadillac AKG, and Klipsch are all a part of my day-to-day life. The thing I listened to tonight blows them all out of the water.

What was it? It was a freakin JBL Paragon and it was unlike anything I had ever heard! She was powered by a Mcintosh MC2105 and C28 (preamp) - such a beautiful combo. The funny thing is, it is in my step grandpas living room and I have never really thought to ask about it. I had always thought it was just a cool-looking wall table or something. Well, tonight I asked about it, and much to my surprise, he said it was a speaker! He got all excited and gave me a demo. I was initially thinking it was a cool storage cabinet with a couple of speakers on the sides and would sound kind of dry and lack real sound. He popped POCO (their first album) onto his record player and skipped ahead to "Anyway Bye Bye." It started playing and chills instantly shot up my spine. I realized (and confirmed) that this whole 9ft long JBL thing was a whole speaker unit. It had so much power and confidence behind it. It was like somehow a band was shoved inside this cabinet and was playing live for you. The Paragon, with the Mcintosh amp, with some original 70s vinyl (POCO Anyway Bye Bye, Herbie Mann Cajun Moon, Elton John Curtains), was unbelievable.

JBL started making them in 1957 and stopped production in 1983- the longest run in JBL history. They built somewhere around 1,000 units. I guess he bought his back in the 70s for $3k and has had it ever since. The only one I could find for sale right now is listed at just under 39k... so crazy. This thing is kind of a unicorn and is apparently sought after in the audio world. Super cool.

*last 2 pics are of the actual setup*
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TolCarMan; 12-22-2021, 03:35 AM.
    -Tolman
    '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
    '06 X30 (Sold)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Their set up looks similar to the wave architecture that Bose uses on their big speakers. I have no doubt this makes a beautiful, full, warm sound.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fMERyRz498
      -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

I would love to get some McIntosh items some day but for now I have NAD equipment (amp, pre-amp, Pro Technics turntable with carbon fiber arm) with Klipsch Heresy's. The Heresy's have the 28 degree wedge on the bottom so they point up a little rather than sit flat on the floor. Best I've heard was also McIntosh amp, an older Kenwood reel to reel, with Klipsh Cornwalls, also hooked in some Advent studio monitor speaker - the Advent produced the lower power level sounds but then around half volume, the Cornwalls just took over.

That's pretty cool speaker, I've never seen it before.
        1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

I have some Mark Levinson equipment and pretty amazing. They are now in boxes, along with some Carver items and Dahlquist Speakers. Just can't get rid of them....sound stage was amazing!
          - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

Originally posted by bret View Post
            I would love to get some McIntosh items some day but for now I have NAD equipment (amp, pre-amp, Pro Technics turntable with carbon fiber arm) with Klipsch Heresy's. The Heresy's have the 28 degree wedge on the bottom so they point up a little rather than sit flat on the floor. Best I've heard was also McIntosh amp, an older Kenwood reel to reel, with Klipsh Cornwalls, also hooked in some Advent studio monitor speaker - the Advent produced the lower power level sounds but then around half volume, the Cornwalls just took over.

That's pretty cool speaker, I've never seen it before.
            I heard a pair of Heresy's a long time ago and was impressed but I have no idea what they were hooked up to or anything. Klipsch makes some awesome stuff though. I have never heard of the Cornwall before... it's pretty cool! No doubt it sounds good. I REALLY want to get my hands on a Klipschorn or the Paragon thing one day...
            -Tolman
            '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
            '06 X30 (Sold)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

That's pretty cool!

I love music, but I would not consider myself an audiophile. I have a pair of Cerwin Vega XLS-215. They are insanely loud.

Comment

Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
                Thats a real toe tapper song

Comment

Originally posted by gwozhog View Post

Thats a real toe tapper song
                  Needs more cowbell!
                  -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Working...
                  X