Is the boat bubble about to pop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the boat bubble about to pop?

I have noticed that the dealers here in Houston currently have more used boats on their lots than I have seen in the last 5 years. With that being said though I was talking with a salesman at the Nautique dealer and he told me they have already sold 112 new boats out of 120 build slots for the 2022 season. New sales are still booming. Just seems odd though the imbalance of used boats

At this point we can only speculate but I am interested to see what things start to look like once winter comes to a close.
    Previous Boat- 1983 Stars and Stripes

Comment

It’s only because you’re paying attention. Boat market is cyclical, this happens every year.
      Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
      Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
      2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
      For Sale:
      2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

I'd be surprised if it wasn't. I went to the in house boat show at Action yesterday then dropped by Silver Spray to have a look see at the Nautiques while I was in the area. Action had open build slots and was taking orders. Silver Spray (which is a much smaller dealer) said they still had a couple build slots open for orders. Last year both dealers were done in November for orders.

So what does this mean? I think there are a finite number of buyers for $150K+ boats and whereas you'll always have the guys that upgrade every 2 or 3 years I'm thinking we're getting close to capacity on that front. On the used market many of us have been predicting if not the collapse of the market then at least the return to a more normal market. I'm really surprised it went this long. I figured that after a full season of boat ramp bloopers and failed learning curves many would have already left boating. Now after 2 years of new boater fun times and the wonderful job Brandon is doing with gas prices and inflation I think things are going to tapper off. Let's face it, if you're on this site a dollar a gallon price increase for gas is not going to stop you from boating. That's this market. The market in general though is getting stressed by inflation. Not just gas but everyday, general life items like food and fuel to keep the house warm. IMO boat prices are not going to kill off this run, Brandon and his financial policies will. Things are starting to look a lot like the 80s again in this old man's eyes. Glad I got all my toys paid for. Got a feeling there's going to be a bumpy ride not too far down the road.

Comment

I can't see how it continues like it has, but I'm not smart enough to make predictions. I limit myself to commenting on my opinion of what's taken place. Sure wish I'd have kept the '18 one more year back in 2020
          Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

I agree: what goes up, must come down. Just not sure if we will see it soon or not? I do believe the rise in interest rates next month will have something to do with it. If the Fed comes out swinging with a substantial raise, it might slow it quickly.
            OH-IO!

Comment

i know that the concensus here is that most buyers for new MC's are writing a check that they won't even notice,but my local dealer has told me (a year or so ago) that it's astounding the number of customers that aren't even putting down 20% and are financing. I'm sure our market isn't representative of everywhere, but that has to factor in at some point. Or maybe it just frees up a boat for the cash buyer...
              Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

If anyone thinks that selling a used boat for more than you paid new for it is sustainable, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Comment

Originally posted by Footin View Post
                  I agree: what goes up, must come down. Just not sure if we will see it soon or not? I do believe the rise in interest rates next month will have something to do with it. If the Fed comes out swinging with a substantial raise, it might slow it quickly.
                  Losing 12k a day in retirement accounts agrees with your statement; stupid market!
                  -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

cheer up...I'm down a $100k this month.

Comment

Working...
                    X