Lake House - what would you build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake House - what would you build

Hey guys, im getting ready to build a house on the lake (just closed on the land) but I'm not sure what type style / design to do. Im in upstate NY so I have to think of the elements as well. There are a few things that I need and want in this one that I'm sure off.

1. Partly covered big front porch - good for BBQ's watching the sunset drink some cold beverages with friends
    2. Indoor Fire place
    3. Around 1500 sq feet

Other than that I'm open to idea's what have you guys found out that works well............ohh yeah and I'm a single guy in my late 20's, what would you do if you were me?

Hey,

Congrats! That will be a fun experience!

Me, I really like screened/covered porches. I also really like post and beam, and log structures.

One nice thing about log cabins, is although more expensive in terms of the shell structure, the interior walls are finished once they are up.

One more tip...storage, cheaper to build it while you are in the process...can never have enough storage at lake house !

Best of luck, and have fun!

Comment

Drainage, drainage, drainage!!!

Make sure the landscaping keeps water flowing around your house rather than against/under it...
      2006 X-45, L18, slate gray/white

Comment

Originally posted by ccowell View Post

Other than that I'm open to idea's what have you guys found out that works well.
        Teak just ask #1

Comment

Originally posted by coz View Post
          Teak just ask #1

Nothing like the smell of linseed oil in the morning!
          Charter Member Number 1

Quote: 2RLAKE,
          At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Comment

Lots of options in the general sense. Depending on your layout it might narrow up your best suited options for the site.

What kind of property did you buy? level lot for a ranch style home? sloped for a walk-out? Narrow and deep? Wide and short?

Good Luck and don't forget the golden rule...Post Pictures!
            2002 ProStar197 Tournament Team Edition (yes it's Red)
            *LQ9, Powerslot,Perfect Pass,Zero Flex tower,Heater

Comment

Big garage

Possibly a 3 season porch, with removeable windows and or screens?

ability to sleep quite a few..

Comment

Go and sit on your lot for several days...even weeks. See where the sun come up and sets. Any major wind coming from a certain direction? Trees preventing the sun to hit certain spots? Best location for a deck with regards to morning or evening sun? Certain views you want to look out vs. others?

I like larger style homes....open floorplan. With 1500 sf, it would be nice to have the kitchen open to the living room. That will make you and your guests feel like there is more room to stretch out. Fireplace definitely! Unfinished basement for storage or future growth if possible.

My sister got married to a guy who built a house. He did the same thing....actually got a trailer and lived on the property for 6 months before selecting a location. Anyways, my sister said you can definitely tell he was a bachelor at the time.....they basically have NO storage! A really nice house in Wyoming but not a lot of storage. Something to think about.

Just a few thoughts.....
                Last edited by Ski-me; 06-11-2009, 02:47 PM.
                - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

I would build and sleep in a tent if I had too!! You lucky mother!! AWESOME!!
                  If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
                  1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

Comment

Its a old growth hardwood lot 3.25 acres, Im going to have to do some clearing with my motor saw and it has a layout for a walk out basement which I was planning on doing. That way I can use it for storage (motorized things / dirt bikes, jet skis and such). Up stars is the party and what I need help with. Is there anything wrong with having a pool table instead of a dinning room table, or having a Foosball table as a end table? I would keep a trailer on it but it is in such a "community" that I cant keep it there, don't want the riff raff in the area you know.

Let me rephase the question. What would you do for your ultimate blachor pad,

Remember
                    1. 1500 sq feet max
                    2. Wooded lot in the middle of nowhere
                    3. Fireplace
                    4. Big front porch

Comment

Here is what I would do for a lake house...
                      -Covered porch facing the water.
                      -Tons of windows facing the water
                      -Stripper pole in the living room
                      -NO CARPET (hardwood or tile)
                      -Storage, storage, storage
                      -Open floor plan
                      If my words don't make sense, try reading them backwards.

Comment

Personally I am partial to A-Frames because of all of the windows which provide nice views of the lake and let in lots of sun. The only downside is that this style doesn't lend itself well to enclosed porch areas. Ours faces east and there is nothing better than waking up to the sun streaming through the windows and checking the water conditions without even getting out of bed! Here is the place we built several years ago. Oh, and don't forget, leave lots of money in reserve for the dock.
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic1999 Prostar 205 with 330 HP LTR

Comment

Hey guys, im getting ready to build a house on the lake (just closed on the land) but I'm not sure what type style / design to do. Im in upstate NY so I have to think of the elements as well. There are a few things that I need and want in this one that I'm sure off.

1. Partly covered big front porch - good for BBQ's watching the sunset drink some cold beverages with friends
                          2. Indoor Fire place
                          3. Around 1500 sq feet

Other than that I'm open to idea's what have you guys found out that works well............ohh yeah and I'm a single guy in my late 20's, what would you do if you were me?
                          As many synthetic materials as possible, to fight off rot, insects and maintenance. Post and beam would be great- either white oak or Douglas Fir will be more rot resistant than many other species but you may still have some issues with Powder Post beetles. Standing seam metal roof, Hardy Board trim, vinyl windows (I know, but they're low maintenance) and good ventilation.

Comment

Its a old growth hardwood lot 3.25 acres, Im going to have to do some clearing with my motor saw and it has a layout for a walk out basement which I was planning on doing. That way I can use it for storage (motorized things / dirt bikes, jet skis and such). Up stars is the party and what I need help with. Is there anything wrong with having a pool table instead of a dinning room table, or having a Foosball table as a end table? I would keep a trailer on it but it is in such a "community" that I cant keep it there, don't want the riff raff in the area you know.

Let me rephase the question. What would you do for your ultimate blachor pad,

Remember
                            1. 1500 sq feet max
                            2. Wooded lot in the middle of nowhere
                            3. Fireplace
                            4. Big front porch
                            Nothing wrong with a pool table where a dining room table should go just so long as a table can go there in the future (say 8 yrs from now).

2 bathrooms for sure. One in the master and one for the guests. If you made the guest room more like a loft or bunk bead room, that would be great. Just thinking a little down the road for you.

If you had room for a 1/2 bath off the main area, that would be a bonus so guests don't have to go into the other two full bathrooms.

My dad is building a house in Wyoming using "concrete" logs. Basically the forms have all kinds of texture in the forms and then you stain the concrete to a "brown wood" color. They actually look pretty realistic.

He did have the traditional log cabin several years ago and you deal with a lot of expansion/contraction issues as well as sealing. He always had tons of flies in there!!
                            Last edited by Ski-me; 06-11-2009, 03:33 PM.
                            - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

ohh yeah and I'm a single guy in my late 20's, what would you do if you were me?
                              I'ld stay single and fluck them all!!!

Be sure to have a nice view of the lake.Lots of windows and no trees to block your view.
                              Also a "A" frame guy. With a mezzannine room upstair it's a nice set up!
                              Big outdoor patio is a must as it's where your friends and guest will be most of the time.Sometimes you can combine patio and dock depending on local laws.
                              Had my first place on a lake at 30 wich was quite young at the time but you're not even 30 yet...Congrats!!!
                              Keep skiing!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X