Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'09 F150 5.4L Engine Tune Chip

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • '09 F150 5.4L Engine Tune Chip

    Has anyone put an aftermarket programmer or chipped the 5.4L.


    I'm considering doing my KR but don't know what brand is the best. Will I feel a good butt dyno or not? Will my gas mileage go from 14 to something better.

    I have cleaned the throttle body, installed a K&N filter element (not cold air) and thats it. I want to change the plugs in the near future. 94k miles.


    Thanks
    Rollin' Gangsta Style

    Originally posted by Thrall
    "Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
    Originally posted by thatsmrmastercraft
    If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

  • #2
    Oh and I want one that I can read and clear codes.
    Rollin' Gangsta Style

    Originally posted by Thrall
    "Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
    Originally posted by thatsmrmastercraft
    If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

    Comment


    • #3
      I had (get to that in a minute) the SuperChips Microturner in my 1999 Expedition with the 5.4L engine. It worked really good for what it is. It also read and cleared codes. I didn't everything possible in aftermarket add-ons to that engine:

      - Western Motorsports Cold Air Intake
      - K & N Filter
      - SuperChips Microtuner
      - BBK Underdrive Pulleys
      - Dual 16" Electric Fans

      Now, the engine is in the process of being removed and replaced with a 450hp Ford Lightning crate engine with a polished and ported Eaton Supercharger. Therefore, I no longer need the Microtuner.

      Good luck - they are good for the money and I did notice a change in performance when I had it programmed. However, you'll have to use superunleaded gas once you install the program. Finally, remember to put everything back to stock when you take it to the dealer for service or they will flash the OEM stock program right over your Microtuner and you'll never get it back.
      2002, X30, L-18, Red Metal Flake (the possessed boat)

      Comment


      • #4
        I think the super chips has a 87 and 91 octane setting.


        Do I still have to run 93 in either prigram
        Rollin' Gangsta Style

        Originally posted by Thrall
        "Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
        Originally posted by thatsmrmastercraft
        If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

        Comment


        • #5
          Be careful changing the plugs, they can get stuck with carbon on the electrode and break at the porcelain. I changed mine at 60k to curb this. I think they changed design in 2007 so you should be ok, but if they start to squeak while removing stop and soak it down with carb cleaner so it wicks down to soften the carbon, give them a good soaking for awhile then carefully remove them. They also take a special 14 mm (9/16)socket a standard 14 mm will not work. Apply some nickle anti seize to threads and where the threads and the electrode tip meet, if they do break matco has a special removal tool so the heads don't have to come off. I did a salesman truck awhile back and every f*! ing plug broke even after soaking. An hour job turned into 4 hrs of *¢¡¤€... My local Ford dealer charges $450 labor plus plugs and an extra $100 for every broken one...

          socket http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/pr...SPK-PLUG-SOCK/

          broken plug remover http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/pr...rce=igodigital

          I'm sure you can find the equivalent online somewhere
          Last edited by Spork; 04-25-2013, 11:51 PM.
          /spôrk/
          a spoon-shaped eating utensil with short tines at the tip

          Comment


          • #6
            Well geese I guess I'll shop for a tool now.

            James, do you have a recommendation on the tuner.

            Diablo, superchips, etc
            Rollin' Gangsta Style

            Originally posted by Thrall
            "Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
            Originally posted by thatsmrmastercraft
            If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

            Comment


            • #7
              If your going to leave truck mostly stock, I'd go with the edge evolution, otherwise if your doing cat back and cai I'd go diablo sport. Just about every programmer out there will do engine trouble codes and adjust speedometer for tire changes.
              /spôrk/
              a spoon-shaped eating utensil with short tines at the tip

              Comment


              • #8
                I've had superchips before.

                Don't they all do the same?
                Rollin' Gangsta Style

                Originally posted by Thrall
                "Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
                Originally posted by thatsmrmastercraft
                If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Just passing on what some of my ford buddies say, edge for stockers and diablo for modified, I personally have not programmed my Lariat 5.4L 4x4, although I do have a Magna flow cat back and SLP black wing CAI, I get about 12mpg no matter towing or not.
                  /spôrk/
                  a spoon-shaped eating utensil with short tines at the tip

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                    Just passing on what some of my ford buddies say, edge for stockers and diablo for modified, I personally have not programmed my Lariat 5.4L 4x4, although I do have a Magna flow cat back and SLP black wing CAI, I get about 12mpg no matter towing or not.
                    I'm not opposed to the other upgrades.

                    Just scared that loud pipes on a king ranch would be ghey.

                    I'm also not opposed to a CAI


                    I'm just worried that if I drop 1k in upgrades that I would be disappointed.
                    Rollin' Gangsta Style

                    Originally posted by Thrall
                    "Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
                    Originally posted by thatsmrmastercraft
                    If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                      I'm not opposed to the other upgrades.

                      Just scared that loud pipes on a king ranch would be ghey.

                      I'm also not opposed to a CAI


                      I'm just worried that if I drop 1k in upgrades that I would be disappointed.
                      my magnaflow is not loud, nice deep tone under accel and almost stock quiet at idle (not flowmaster sounding), but overall I think you would be disappointed in the performance level or rather non performance for 1k bucks. best to save another 4k to the first thou and put a supercharger on it. I actually lost about 2mpg when I put this stuff on my truck, I mean honesty if everything goes as advertised its at best 50 hp you won't feel that in your seat dyno, other than maybe crisper throttle response.
                      Last edited by Spork; 04-26-2013, 12:23 AM.
                      /spôrk/
                      a spoon-shaped eating utensil with short tines at the tip

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                        my magnaflow is not loud, nice deep tone under accel and almost stock quiet at idle (not flowmaster sounding), but overall I think you would be disappointed in the performance level or rather non performance for 1k bucks. best to save another 4k to the first thou and put a supercharger on it. I actually lost about 2mpg when I put this stuff on my truck, I mean honesty if everything goes as advertised its at best 50 hp you won't feel that in your seat dyno, other than maybe crisper throttle response.
                        Thanks James.

                        I kinda figured the seat dyno would be pathetic.
                        Rollin' Gangsta Style

                        Originally posted by Thrall
                        "Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
                        Originally posted by thatsmrmastercraft
                        If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Agree with the comments regarding the $1K spend. You won't feel much of anything but a better throttle response and quicker, firmer shift points.

                          I sold my motor for $650 on Craigslist and will be installing the supercharged Lightning crate engine next week.
                          2002, X30, L-18, Red Metal Flake (the possessed boat)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                            Has anyone put an aftermarket programmer or chipped the 5.4L.


                            I'm considering doing my KR but don't know what brand is the best. Will I feel a good butt dyno or not? Will my gas mileage go from 14 to something better.

                            I have cleaned the throttle body, installed a K&N filter element (not cold air) and thats it. I want to change the plugs in the near future. 94k miles.


                            Thanks
                            I changed my plugs in my 5.4L at 83K and when I seen them it could have stood being done earlier. Just my experience.
                            I love to travel, but hate to arrive. ~~ A. Einstein
                            ---
                            Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
                            ---
                            My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me
                            ---
                            It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                              Be careful changing the plugs, they can get stuck with carbon on the electrode and break at the porcelain. I changed mine at 60k to curb this. I think they changed design in 2007 so you should be ok, but if they start to squeak while removing stop and soak it down with carb cleaner so it wicks down to soften the carbon, give them a good soaking for awhile then carefully remove them. They also take a special 14 mm (9/16)socket a standard 14 mm will not work. Apply some nickle anti seize to threads and where the threads and the electrode tip meet, if they do break matco has a special removal tool so the heads don't have to come off. I did a salesman truck awhile back and every f*! ing plug broke even after soaking. An hour job turned into 4 hrs of *¢¡¤€... My local Ford dealer charges $450 labor plus plugs and an extra $100 for every broken one...

                              socket http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/pr...SPK-PLUG-SOCK/

                              broken plug remover http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/pr...rce=igodigital

                              I'm sure you can find the equivalent online somewhere
                              Interesting method to remove the plugs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIQevez-DG0
                              I love to travel, but hate to arrive. ~~ A. Einstein
                              ---
                              Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
                              ---
                              My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me
                              ---
                              It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X