Official: "Its College Football Season" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple, because he lost and Tua won!

The spread means nothing unless you're betting on the game.
    -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

• Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
      Simple, because he lost and Tua won!

The spread means nothing unless you're betting on the game.
      That’s not how this works..
      Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
      Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
      2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
      For Sale:
      2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

• I think Kyler is/was deserving. And I'm a Bama graduate. At the end of the day it's a TEAM sport, and Kyler was able to do more with less.

Now, having said that, understand that Heisman trophy is essentially a glorified high school style popularity contest. And that's OK. It is what it is.

Tua took something like 7 snaps the entire regular season in the 4th quarter. As a result, he played 217 fewer snaps that Murray, and had nearly the same statistics. His pinpoint accuracy was back on display last night. His Heisman campaign was derailed on the 4th play of the SEC championship game. So be it.

Last night shouldn't have been surprising to anyone, and while it might have seemed like Okla was getting back in the game, the flip side of that coin was that the Bama offense (2nd only in some categories to Okla) could have scored at will. But that's not just my assesment. Here's some real statistics to show that maybe the Bama offense was more prolific all season than the Sooner O. I think we can all agree that across the board, Bama was tested against better defenses than Okla was. In fact, the Big XII has an optics problem when it comes to D and they need to do something about it.
        Attached Files

Comment

• @Timr71 - nice post. I fully agree that OU is not as good as Bama and I am an OU fan. I was not at all surprised that Alabama won, I even posted that prediction in this thread. They are a very talented team.

I heard on one of the football talk shows that someone was asked what Alabama does better than any other FBS team. The response was “recruit”. I can’t disagree with that at all.

The OU defense definitely needs to get better if they ever want to win another national championship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Thanks @kscrib.

I do think that Oklahoma is going to be fun to watch. And that they really are poised to become a perennial power/contender.

We'll see who Lincoln brings in for his defensive staff. Okla has a clear route to the CFP, having already been there on 3 of 5 occasions.

The Sooners remind me a lot of Spurrier's Fun-n-gun from the 90s. Spurrier developed QBs, Wideouts, and running backs in an offensive scheme that slung the ball all over the yard and put up points at an alarming rate. At the end of the 1995 season, the Gators arrived undefeated and ready to take on Tom O's Cornhuskers. The problem that revealed itself that day was that Florida didn't have much in the way of a defense and suffered a 62-24 defeat at the hands of Nebraska. You may or may not remember this, but Nebraska had shirts that said, "It could've been worse." And the long running joke aimed at Gator fans was: Nebraska just scored again.

So the Gators go back to the drawing board and realize that they must have at least a serviceable defense in order to win it all. This is where the story gets interesting. Enter 1st year defensive coordinator for Spurrier...this guy named Bob Stoops.

The 1996 Gators dropped their season finale out of conference to FSU by a field goal, and managed to with the SEC Championship game against Bama giving up a season high 30 points in the process. That earned them a rematch with FSU in the Sugar Bowl...a game they won by 32 points.

So, you see, there's a sick bit of irony that Big-game-Bob [Stoops] poked a lot in press conferences about the SEC being overrated and over hyped when he was the architect of one of the most prolific defenses in Florida history. He knew first hand how D was played in the SEC.

It was like he was his own propaganda machine. The real question is Why was the Okla D allowed to devolve to the point where it is now?

The race is on, because any team with a top 40 ranked D and a good Offense will mow through the Big XII with relative ease. The biggest problem facing the conference as a whole is recruiting. Currently according to 24/7 composite rankings, the Big XII only has 2 recruiting classes in the top 35. The puts them pretty far behind a couple of major Power 5 conferences.

Anyway, get a decent enough defense and the path to the championship is a 3 game season: 1. The Big XII championship game (a guaranteed rematch) 2. CFP semi and 3. the CFP Championship game.

And, just maybe, stop winning the Heisman trophy. Kyler, Baker, Sam Bradford, and Jason White all lost in the CFP or BCS. Just kidding, but ???

Comment

• Originally posted by MC25 View Post
              That’s not how this works..
              Come on, look at what happened in the game. Blanked for the first half.

Tua didn't play a 4th quarter all year.

If you can take it from Tua because of one game then you can take it from murray for one game. If murray would have played Bama schedule he'd not be any where near Tua's numbers.

End of story.

edit I want to add:

Quinnen Williams should have been tossed from the game. He knew murray had released the ball and then drove him to the ground and once he got his helmet off he continued to smash his head into the turf.
              -Tim

Comment

• Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
                If Murray would have played Bama schedule he'd not be any where near Tua's numbers.

End of story.
                This part I think it actually true. Tua would've lit the Big XII up like a pinball machine, and Kyler might have looked a bit more human against the likes of LSU, Auburn and Georgia. Partly due to his stature. Certainly, he'd have been more dinged up throughout the season.

Interesting story line from yesterday, both Shea Patterson (Michigan) and Kyler Murray were forced to play against SEC Defenses...you know the ones that they would've played against had they not transferred from their original SEC schools.

The Patterson story has always intrigued me...I mean there's a reason why he wasn't the starter at Ole Miss. I understand why he transferred and the desire to play, but what I don't understand is the indictment that it is on the program that he transferred to. You can't recruit a QB that's better than a second string QB from another school?

Comment

• Kyler is completely deserving of the heisman. If it were any other year then Tua would have won. I guess there’s always next year. As for how Kyler would have done in the SEC, just fine. Assuming you just switch the players and not the whole team. If he were Bama’s QB, Kyler would have lit up the same teams that Tua did, and same if Tua was OK’s QB. They’re both incredible quarterbacks. I don’t think I’ve ever seen two QBs this dominant in the same season.

Comment

• Big day for my Buckeye’s today, need wins from Urbie and Pat for the Big 10.

And still smiling over the Army win! Top 20 baby!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                    Ski in snow, ski in water, and always have fun!

2008 Prostar 214 MCX
                    1995 Prostar 190 "Evil Minion"
                    Previous 93 Prostar 190 1.5:1 GT40

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
                    "Do you have Flake on that boat?"

Comment

• Originally posted by 93Prostar190 View Post
                      Big day for my Buckeye’s today, need wins from Urbie and Pat for the Big 10.

And still smiling over the Army win! Top 20 baby!

I agree, they better get to bed early tonight so they are ready for the game tomorrow.

...your calendar broke Prostar?
                      2003 ProStar 197, MCX and Powerslot.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson
                      "Freedom is beneficial to everyone equally" - Ron Paul
                      Taxation = Theft

Comment

• Originally posted by captain planet View Post
                        I agree, they better get to bed early tonight so they are ready for the game tomorrow.

...your calendar broke Prostar?

I guess starting to tailgate now, makes it feel like we play tonight ..... ooops.

2008 Prostar 214 MCX

Comment

• UCF back to back.... wait what?
                          -Tim

Comment

• Ah ... all is well in the world ...... O H !

2008 Prostar 214 MCX

Comment

• Georgia.................W.T.F.?????

Comment

• Originally posted by 03 35th Anniversary View Post
                                Georgia.................W.T.F.?????
                                We're one of the best 4 teams!!!!
                                -Tim

Comment

Working...
                                X