North Georgia trip this weekend questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Georgia trip this weekend questions

About 10 of us grown ups are getting away from the kids this weekend and headed to north Georgia for a little trip. We are staying in Ellijay,GA, this Thurday thru Sunday. Going white water rafting on the Ocoee on Saturday. Any suggestions for Friday? We were thinking of tubing down a river close by or maybe going to the Nantahala.

Thanks for any input.
    Where we're going, we don't need no skis. Cheeto

Take the boat along and ski
    Carter's Lake in Gilmer County - North Georgia Mountains

Carters Lake is the deepest man-made lake east of the Mississippi. It offers over 62 miles of uninhabited shoreline.
    This Corps of Engineers lake offers sites for sight-seeing, hiking, picnicking, camping, swimming, boating, water skiing, and fishing.

Lake Blue Ridge

Or Lake Burton in Clayton GA.

NEW SKINS ...
    Jim - "Upholstery Guy"
    (865) 995 0607 Hm (BSURE 2 LVMSGE)
    (865) 679 2246 Cph (ANYTM UPTO 9PM EST)
    [email protected]

sigpic
    I've got badass '93 MC BF 200 w/ a Yahamie ProV 200.
    M O S T A W E S O M E C R A F T E V E R B U I L T
    'Luv'n life behind a Barefoot 200'
    atlfootr

Comment

#1 option is to get on Lake Blue Ridge
      There are tubing operations that operate on the Toccoa above Lake Blue Ridge, can't miss the signs on Aska Rd

Downtown Blue Ridge has a variety of restaurants including very nice ones as well as a bar or two.

Edit: When I say "above" I mean south. (closer to ellijay). The Toccoa flows north into Lake Blue Ridge, and then when the tailwaters cross the state line into Tennessee it is called the Ocoee.
      Last edited by CruisinGA; 08-25-2015, 02:45 PM.
      Bailey
      '02 X-9
      Lake Blue Ridge

Comment

Not taking the boat. Would love to, but I would be the one making sure everything was taken care of. I want to relax a little. Those lakes look awesome. We are doing all of our own cooking at the cabin. Just looking for something to do on Friday to get out of the cabin for a few hours.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Smith House

GOTTA DO THIS --- BEST FOOD EVER!
          http://smithhouse.com/dining/

Welcome to The Smith House!
          The Smith House, located in the quaint Appalachian town of Dahlonega, Georgia, has had it’s doors opened to visitors since 1899. One things for sure, there’s no shortage of Southern Hospitality around here. Come sit back and enjoy our home-cooked country cooking in the family-style dining area and you’ll see what we’re talking about. Or come kick back for a weekend in one of our comfortable yet luxurious rooms and enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells of Dahlonega. Take a hike. Ride a bike. Take a vineyard tour. Shop around in the unique shops of our quaint town, which is located just one block from our doorstep. Come see what our little town has to offer. We’re sure you’ll have a great time!

Serving Hours & Dining Rates

Tuesday-Friday lunch 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
          Tuesday-Friday dinner 3:30-7:30
          Saturday 11 a.m.-8 p.m.
          Sunday 11 a.m.-7:30 p.m
          Closed Monday
          **Call for hours of operations 706-867-7000 ext 0
          Hours for Labor Day Weekend starting September 4-8, 2015
          Friday lunch 11 a.m.-3 p.m. dinner 3:30-7:30 p.m.
          Saturday lunch and dinner 11 a.m.-8:00 p.m.
          Sunday lunch and dinner 11 a.m.-7:30 p.m.
          Open Monday, September 7, 2015 from 11 a.m.-7 p.m.
          Closed Tuesday, September 8, 2015 all day
          NEW SKINS ...
          Jim - "Upholstery Guy"
          [email protected]

sigpic
          atlfootr

Comment

That's all I have, unless you want to go the LARGEST AQUARIUM in the world ...
            Cruising GA call me check pm
            NEW SKINS ...
            Jim - "Upholstery Guy"
            [email protected]

sigpic
            atlfootr

Comment

Check out the sites in Down town Chattanooga

Comment

Lots of mountain biking in the area if you do that.
                Blue Ridge Marina offers pontoon rentals if you just want to explore the lake and swim
                Bailey
                '02 X-9
                Lake Blue Ridge

Comment

We vacation there every year and love the area (have only taken the boat once in four trips). There are some nice hiking trails in the area with waterfalls and some terrain. We have gone horseback riding on a couple of visits and have also driven over to some nearby parks and scenic drives. We always go tubing down the Toccoa.

When we haven't rented lakefront, we alway go for a cabin "high up" and just enjoy the hell out of the long distance views, quiet time, reading, barbecuing, playing board games and early afternoon cocktailing. So much the better if you have an outdoor fireplace and/or hot tub on the deck (many rentals do).
                  "This one goes to eleven." 2007 ProStar 197 TT w/MCX and Powerslot.

Comment

Originally posted by Kweisner View Post
                    We vacation there every year and love the area (have only taken the boat once in four trips). There are some nice hiking trails in the area with waterfalls and some terrain. We have gone horseback riding on a couple of visits and have also driven over to some nearby parks and scenic drives. We always go tubing down the Toccoa.

When we haven't rented lakefront, we alway go for a cabin "high up" and just enjoy the hell out of the long distance views, quiet time, reading, barbecuing, playing board games and early afternoon cocktailing. So much the better if you have an outdoor fireplace and/or hot tub on the deck (many rentals do).
                    Tell me more about the Toccoa tubing? Who did you rent from? We are really laid back. Can you take a cooler of beer on that tubing adventure?

Thanks

Comment

please update us on your trip afterwards. ellijay isn't too far from us in the 'ham and i'd love to hear some 1st hand experience as we've thought about taking the kids up there. have a great trip.

Comment

Originally posted by supreme112279 View Post
                        Check out the sites in Down town Chattanooga
                        if you guys are doing the Ocoee, Chattanooga is prob the biggest city closest to you with most stuff to do.
                        Sold my '89 PS190

'07 PS197 TT w/PP & ZO

club boat '12 PS197 TT

Comment

Tell me more about the Toccoa tubing? Who did you rent from? We are really laid back. Can you take a cooler of beer on that tubing adventure?
                          We always go to the Toccoa Family Campground which is the "pink tube" place. Ironic to your question, they have a sign posted "No Alcohol" at the campground, so I assume that carries over to the tube rental business too. Not a big hardship--plenty of other places to enjoy a cool one afterwards! I can't say if there's an actual prohibition about coolers/beer on the river itself since we never tried. I think there is one other outfit that rents tubes but never used them.

On a totally different note, last time we were there (April) we had a lunch at Joe's Barbecue and it was excellent. Great food and prices and clearly a family run operation which shows. And they have beer!
                          "This one goes to eleven." 2007 ProStar 197 TT w/MCX and Powerslot.

Comment

I will post about trip next week when we get back. We have some great cooks going, and plan on doing all our eating at the cabin. This is just a relaxing trip for us (except the Ocoee part). Thanks for all the advise.

Comment

I float the Toccoa at least once a year. I always have a cooler with me, we always DIY it and don't use an outfitter.

There is no general rule against drinking on the river, must just be a rule with Toccoa Family Campground. The one thing you can get nailed for is not having a lifejacket with you.
                              Bailey
                              '02 X-9
                              Lake Blue Ridge

Comment

Working...
                              X