Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New / used Snowmobile Purchase moving north to SD

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New / used Snowmobile Purchase moving north to SD

    Hey guys need your expertise in getting a new / used snowmobile moving to Rapid City SD in the black hills .... I like the Ski Doo product but I'm sure this convo can go just like a mastercraft vs malibu or nautique argument. I have been on a bunch of trips in northern us and canada. I just haven't been up in the product specs I'm 6' tall 220 lbs.. like a little trail but like back country better. Yes I will be buying electric start. what size track should I really be getting and model ride.. anyone offering reverse or am I just being greedy ?!?! haha..

  • #2
    Long track, without question. Why you moving north Jesse?

    Comment


    • #3
      Jesse PM me

      You should be looking at a 155 length track minimum and a 800cc 2 stroke engine. They all come standard with reverse these days and you can get electric start.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by epnault View Post
        Jesse PM me

        You should be looking at a 155 length track minimum and a 800cc 2 stroke engine. They all come standard with reverse these days and you can get electric start.
        agree, go with a long track 800 if you are going to be riding off trail. As far as brand I am a ski-doo guy (currently have 3 etec renegades) and have been very happy with them, but all the top brands make very nice sleds anymore, so it's all just personal preference.
        [SIGPIC]

        Comment


        • #5
          Scott.. With the occurrences of the theft in the house etc. It just sped up an inevitable move. The wife wants to get closer to family an there are some good opportunities as far as a small town move can go business wise. It will also be nice to get up north and central we are out doors people so It'll be nice to be only 6 hours from colorado, 8 hours from the border family and friends in canada. We have a 3-4 year plan before kids so this is the time to get our 1-2 week truck camping trips, snowmobile trips,hiking. There is a lake cabin 200 yards from the lake and a ski cabin 10 min from the lift in the family. So just a good time to be selfish for the two of us I guess..Florida is great but been here for 32 years time to shake it up don't want to have any regrets not trying something new.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by gsxrjtt View Post
            Scott.. With the occurrences of the theft in the house etc. It just sped up an inevitable move. The wife wants to get closer to family an there are some good opportunities as far as a small town move can go business wise. It will also be nice to get up north and central we are out doors people so It'll be nice to be only 6 hours from colorado, 8 hours from the border family and friends in canada. We have a 3-4 year plan before kids so this is the time to get our 1-2 week truck camping trips, snowmobile trips,hiking. There is a lake cabin 200 yards from the lake and a ski cabin 10 min from the lift in the family. So just a good time to be selfish for the two of us I guess..Florida is great but been here for 32 years time to shake it up don't want to have any regrets not trying something new.
            Sounds like a positive move, good for you guys!

            Comment


            • #7
              Can I trade you? It's getting colder here in Rapid City and Florida sounds pretty darn good now that life is spent in a hockey rink watching kids instead of on a lake watching kids. But Rapid City is a great place to live! Been here for many, many years.

              Not sure how familiar you are with snowmobiling in the Black Hills, but there haven't been many great years of snow lately for these toys. Now, go 3 hours west and you can ride for days and days! But I am not part of that sport, so don't listen too closely to what I say. I'm hoping it's a very MILD winter up here this year - last year was WAY too cold for us people who only dream of liquid water!

              Welcome to SD!
              2013 X-Star - 7.4 Ilmor

              Comment


              • #8
                Snowmobile

                Sledding is my wintertime sport for sure! I ride a 2011 Ski doo XP 154. If i was to buy a new sled it would be a 2013 Ski Doo XM - XM is the new version of the chassis and get the ETEC engine - fuel injected versus carb on my XP. All the newer sleds are good - like you said its a MC vs Malibu arguement. If you have any ? PM me and i will help if i can

                Comment


                • #9
                  Snowmobile

                  2013 or newer i meant to say sorry

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    As mentioned before if wanting to spend time off trail, 800 2 stroke is a must and 154/155 in track length I'm a skidoo guy my self but a lot are going with the new axys from polaris

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Head north Jessie? What about the dealership????
                      OH-IO!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I am a midwest/UP rider on a cat. When I upgrade, I will likely go Ski doo etec 800. What is off trail like in the black hills? How deep of powder is typical? if you are 100% off trail, might be 154. If you are mixing off and on trail maybe 144?
                        Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

                        2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JohnnyB View Post
                          I am a midwest/UP rider on a cat. When I upgrade, I will likely go Ski doo etec 800. What is off trail like in the black hills? How deep of powder is typical? if you are 100% off trail, might be 154. If you are mixing off and on trail maybe 144?
                          With mountain riding so close I would be going 154 and trailering west :p
                          Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

                          2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Best sled I've ridden is the Polaris Switchback Assault, I ride 100% in MN so trails and fields are the norm. If I rode in Montana/Colorado I'd opt for a longer track but for the pack between Hinkley and Duluth the 144 is hard to beat. Now if they just made the Switchback in with the graphics of the old Rush Retro!!!
                            Attached Files
                            www.waterskis.com
                            http://www.facebook.com/waterskis

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              had them all...best sled on the market right now is RMKPro 800...light, responsive, lots of power, comfortable - of course Im strictly off trail now, but sounds like you'll be doing plenty of that now. I also ride SB Assault, which is much better trail machine and good for light duty off trail. All depends if you're planning on doing 200 mile trail days or not - then the Doo or Cat might be better choices...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X