No announcement yet.

Help me pick a MX Motocycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just want to say one thing after reading through this thread...BRAAP!
    1985 19 Skier (Stars & Stripes) - “Twinkle”
    2007 X2 - "The Sun Squirrel" - Sold
    2000 PS195 - Sold

Comment

• This past weekend was my first MX race. A while back I joined the Over the Hill Gang (OTHG) which is a VET (30+) MX organization. I had to do two Eval races which I got the second one in last month. So this was my first timed race. Saturday was practice day and Sunday was race day.

Got my number plates:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	27b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	2364148

Results of the 1st of 2 races. I finished 2nd in my class (Beginner, 52+) in a field of 2 - LoL. The two evals in the race are not timed and don't count. Actually my times were not bad if you look at the times of the other classes that were racing at the same time. I looked at some of the other races - had I been in the 30+ Novice I would have had a 1st place time. So I'm happy about having enough speed to be in the game.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	1stRaceResults.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	2364149

A video of the first race: https://youtu.be/WGOEOIkwx7Y
      Beginners are hard to pass. They have such unpredictable lines at times. They tend to ride in group up especially right after the start. The second race was even worse about this. BTW, the goPro was set to narrow field of view; I'm not as close to some of the other riders as it appears in the video. The guy (red/black/yellow shirt/pants) who took first: I passed him in the first turn at 0:39. Then he passed me at 5:36.

I really wanted to not fall during the race so I held back a bit. On practice day I was running a lot faster but dumped the bike a couple of times in the turns. I'm learning that I'm a lot faster if the bike is not laying on the ground. I did not take any of the sharper inside rutted turns during the race. I've been practicing those lines a bit lately but I'm going to start focusing on them a bit more to get more comfortable with them. It would be so much easier to take the inside line to scoot around some of the slower riders.

God, I love riding my thumper. BRAAP! BRAAP! BRAAP!
      Last edited by GoneBoatN; 07-11-2016, 05:24 PM.
      I love to travel, but hate to arrive. ~~ A. Einstein
      ---
      Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
      ---
      My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me
      ---
      It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

• Wow, nice work. Super impressed and happy for you. Think about where you've come from in such a short time. Congrats!

Originally posted by GoneBoatN View Post
        This past weekend was my first MX race. A while back I joined the Over the Hill Gang (OTHG) which is a VET (30+) MX organization. I had to do two Eval races which I got the second one in last month. So this was my first timed race. Saturday was practice day and Sunday was race day.

Got my number plates:
        [ATTACH]146668[/ATTACH]

Results of the 1st of 2 races. I finished 2nd in my class (Beginner, 52+) in a field of 2 - LoL. The two evals in the race are not timed and don't count. Actually my times were not bad if you look at the times of the other classes that were racing at the same time. I looked at some of the other races - had I been in the 30+ Novice I would have had a 1st place time. So I'm happy about having enough speed to be in the game.
        [ATTACH]146669[/ATTACH]

A video of the first race: https://youtu.be/WGOEOIkwx7Y
        Beginners are hard to pass. They have such unpredictable lines at times. They tend to ride in group up especially right after the start. The second race was even worse about this. BTW, the goPro was set to narrow field of view; I'm not as close to some of the other riders as it appears in the video. The guy (red/black/yellow shirt/pants) who took first: I passed him in the first turn at 0:39. Then he passed me at 5:36.

I really wanted to not fall during the race so I held back a bit. On practice day I was running a lot faster but dumped the bike a couple of times in the turns. I'm learning that I'm a lot faster if the bike is not laying on the ground. I did not take any of the sharper inside rutted turns during the race. I've been practicing those lines a bit lately but I'm going to start focusing on them a bit more to get more comfortable with them. It would be so much easier to take the inside line to scoot around some of the slower riders.

God, I love riding my thumper. BRAAP! BRAAP! BRAAP!
        86' 19 Skier, 351 PCM (sold)
        2008 197 ProStar, LY6 (sold)

Comment

• Looking good. Wide Open out of the turns my man. You can clear those humped back doubles

Comment

• Dang a 450R for $5,999.00. 2016 so has air forks before they screw it up and go back to springs...
            http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/W...450R-115519667

I rode again this past Sunday. Thought I rode for a hour but felt like I was a bit more spent than usual. Changed the oil this morning. Logged the hour meter reading in my spreadsheet and realized I rode 2 hours of track time - yep, that will make you feel a bit spent.

Maybe I can hold out until this December. But I want to get a 2016 before they are gone. Most people are not fond of the air forks; nice thing is that can be anything you want them to be without having to change springs. The track I go to they groom and water heavily the day before and morning before the first run. First run I stiffen up the front forks; second run, after track packs down a bit, I put them back to normal for the rest of the day.

I wish I could change the title of this thread to "Oh no, not again"... LMAO.

I really only post this because I think it will put a smile on a couple faces and that is not a bad thing.
            ---
            Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
            ---
            ---
            It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

• I've been practicing the tight inside ruts. In the races, all the beginners take the outside lines. My plan is to take them on the inside and not look back. I helped make that inside one this past Sunday. There were actually a couple sharper and nastier ones (braking and acceleration bumps on entry and exit) I'm able to do (with caution). Still a bit of a challenge for me but I'm working it...

I've started working my suspension more. Thinking that the "standard" settings on the forks was OK was pretty FUBAR thinking on my part. Softened the spring rate (Air fork so just pressure adjustment) and also made compression a little faster. Amazing how better the bike handles in the turns now that the front is better balanced with the rear. Side effect is that even the jumps are better - bike wants to be more even all by itself and I have to work less to keep the front end from going too high.
              Attached Files
              ---
              ---
              ---

Comment

• I've been hitting the track recently as well. So much different than my typical woods riding. Defiantly been working on line selection and getting out of the way of faster riders. My local tracks has one jump called the intimidator. And yes I'm intimidated. Sand whoops been fun. Clearing and landing most of the doubles and table tops. And most of all trying to adapt to the always changing conditions.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Covi View Post
                  I've been hitting the track recently as well. So much different than my typical woods riding. Defiantly been working on line selection and getting out of the way of faster riders. My local tracks has one jump called the intimidator. And yes I'm intimidated. Sand whoops been fun. Clearing and landing most of the doubles and table tops. And most of all trying to adapt to the always changing conditions.
                  Ride safe, and ride on! Your track looks nice and picturesque. Mine is next to a major interstate so when you don't hear the roar of the dirt bikes, you hear the roar of the highway.

Hear you about line selection and always changing conditions. The one turn where I like to ride the berm gets really sketchy with acceleration bumps on the exit later in the day. Plus last time, there was this narrow and deep rut along the edge of the berm at the exit. I messed up and took a spill there last time. Come to realize that late in the day the berm as well as the inside rut get nasty, but the center is just smooth as can be. This week when it got that way I simply went into the berm, squared up and exited through the smooth part. Had that "dah" feeling as I was able to get plenty of speed for the double that follows that turn, landing nicely on the down ramp rather than taking the pounding from coming up short when I don't get enough speed exiting that turn.

Braaaap, Braaaaap!
                  ---
                  ---
                  ---

Comment

• Yes, for a track it is a pretty setting. The property in its day was an old petting zoo. My grandparents use to take me there when I was a kid. I get all nostalgic once in awhile. Lol

Squaring up the corner is a move that I'm not great at but, works awesome when done right. Good on you man for getting that down. I always get a bit scetched out when the cross rut happens during that move. I am lucky for one that this track is considered sandy. So in that situation a hard whack of the throttle will typically get you through the rut. My track will close mid October so safe to say I'll be trying to get in as many laps as I can In between boating.

Comment

• I wish I had time to ride, but we have a baby due next month.

I rebuild my motor and had a quick ride:

https://youtu.be/qz-0oTHSZd0
                      -Matt

Comment

• Congratulations on the baby to be! Nice video, bike sounds like it's running strong. I love the tshirt and no gloves, letting hang out. Lol

Originally posted by bochnak View Post
                        I wish I had time to ride, but we have a baby due next month.

I rebuild my motor and had a quick ride:

https://youtu.be/qz-0oTHSZd0

Comment

• Originally posted by Covi View Post
                          Congratulations on the baby to be! Nice video, bike sounds like it's running strong. I love the tshirt and no gloves, letting hang out. Lol
                          Thanks, this will be child #4.

That riding vid was a shake down ride after motor break in. I was also doing some plug chops for main jet tuning. So minimal gear and I was just taking it easy...LOL.

Hope to get a weeknight in of riding maybe next week before baby comes.
                          -Matt

Comment

• wow great thread. I can not beleive how you have improved. Way to go! I have been riding for along time and my only advice as you start to build your skills is be careful of riding alone. Things can go wrong fast.

With that said dirt bikes can take you to amazing places. Third world countries are amazing for dirt biking. Riding in Baja you are a rock star and you can go anywhere. I am working in south east Asia and went to Bali with my daughter for 10 days of surfing. After wake surfing we thought it would be easy. It was not. After 5 days of getting trashed surfing we took a day to do something we were good at. Dirt biking. We toured the island, rode up to a volcano in the back ground. Awesome single track. The best way to vacation.

Once you get your skills dialled, tour the world, you will see amazing things.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Your Honda is super sweet. I am really interested in the new 2017 crf450 rx. I had a 2002 crf 450 when it came out and, of the Japanese bikes, it was one of the best I have had. The Husaberg fe450 is still my favourite. The 350 rental in Baja was pretty sweet.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• First of all, thanks for documenting the journey!

On the "rebuild every XX hours" issue, I have found over the years that it's better to "listen" to the bike and monitor performance. I ride hard but I don't ride it like I have a sponsor, which means I rarely hit the rev limiter. YMMV, but I rebuilt my current Yamaha yz450f at 750 hours. It finally started burning a little oil (only about 1-2 ounces a day) and the compression started to get lower (valves and ring). On the other hand, my 2003 CRF450r needed a new set of valves every 40 hours, so I only had that bike for a about 3 years. They will let you know when they need some internal maintenance.

I find keeping the air filter and oil clean to be the critical factor. I have 6 air filters, it gets a clean one every time it's in the garage (1-3 days riding) and oil every other. I get 40+ days of riding a year which is why I have so many filters.

BTW - I think I know that track you were on, just outside Livermore? I grew up in Castro Valley, boating on the Delta before coming down to SoCal for school and the desert.
                                Don't take life too seriously, it's not permanent!

Comment

Working...
                                X