No announcement yet.

Dont look now but here comes hunting season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish I knew this thread was here sooner.. This was about a month ago. Good ol' Montana black bear. Dumped him at 530yds cross canyon. Too bad the bigger one never showed himself.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
      Nice shooting. Crazy that yall are hunting right now. I'm getting everything prepped at my fields and fighting off hogs.

I have one hogs that comes to one of my spots daily. Went and hunted the spot and he was a no show. He has been back ever since.....
      That sounds about right! Love the sound of your hunting though. Pics please when you nail him.

Comment

• Originally posted by 406planker View Post
        Wish I knew this thread was here sooner.. This was about a month ago. Good ol' Montana black bear. Dumped him at 530yds cross canyon. Too bad the bigger one never showed himself.

awesome picture ... what did you shoot hi with?

Comment

• Originally posted by 2RLAKE View Post
          awesome picture ... what did you shoot hi with?
          Sako Finnlight 300WSM topped with a Vortex HSLR 4-16. It's a sweetheart with a punch.

Comment

Wish I knew this thread was here sooner.. This was about a month ago. Good ol' Montana black bear. Dumped him at 530yds cross canyon. Too bad the bigger one never showed himself.

Wow that is awesome. Do you plan on having him mounted?

A good friend of mine has a black bear that they killed mounted in his house and it is standing on its hind legs. It looks so cool and scary, they even placed it by the front door.

Highly illegal to shoot black bear in Louisiana.

Comment

Congratulations and nice Bear good shooting on the target to.
              1989 Prostar 190 351 sold
              2008 Prostar 197 LY6

Comment

• How far out was the target on that grouping? I just got a Savage 300 win mag in hopes of hunting out west. Haven't gotten to put many rounds through it yet to see what it's (and I'm) capable of at long range.

Comment

• Originally posted by bcd View Post
                  How far out was the target on that grouping? I just got a Savage 300 win mag in hopes of hunting out west. Haven't gotten to put many rounds through it yet to see what it's (and I'm) capable of at long range.

That was 100yds. .37" 3 shot group. Held true MOA out to 600yds, 2" group on steel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
                    Wow that is awesome. Do you plan on having him mounted?

A good friend of mine has a black bear that they killed mounted in his house and it is standing on its hind legs. It looks so cool and scary, they even placed it by the front door.

Highly illegal to shoot black bear in Louisiana.
                    Not gonna mount this one. He squared out at 5'4", but his hide was rubbed pretty bad. I do my own European mounts, the skull picture is an unfinished product.

Comment

• Here's a couple of the finished products. Takes a lot of time and elbow grease, but it costs me about $5 a head as compared to $150 at a taxidermy.

Comment

Here's a couple of the finished products. Takes a lot of time and elbow grease, but it costs me about $5 a head as compared to $150 at a taxidermy.

Looks good I still have a nice nontypical white tail I need to have that done on.
                        1989 Prostar 190 351 sold
                        2008 Prostar 197 LY6

Comment

• that looks great

I have a Sako 30-378 that is a tack driver ... they made great rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by 2RLAKE View Post
                            that looks great

I have a Sako 30-378 that is a tack driver ... they made great rifles
                            Yeah, I had some issues with mine at first. Ejection angle was kinda funky so fired brass would bounce off the scope and land back in the action. And I to this day have not been able to build a hand load that holds their 5 sub inch claim. Barnes Vor-Tx has been the ticket though. Made a head shot at 225yds a couple years ago on a young whitetail. Dropped like a hammer and slid on the snow to the bottom of the hill... Could have planned that one better. 😕

Comment

• Here are some more hogs pics and a few bucks in velvet still.

Look what this one hogs has done to my field. They really tear up some food plots. The times I have tried hunting him he has been a no show. Traps are coming soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, I had some issues with mine at first. Ejection angle was kinda funky so fired brass would bounce off the scope and land back in the action. And I to this day have not been able to build a hand load that holds their 5 sub inch claim. Barnes Vor-Tx has been the ticket though. Made a head shot at 225yds a couple years ago on a young whitetail. Dropped like a hammer and slid on the snow to the bottom of the hill... Could have planned that one better. 😕

I find Barnes hand loads are tricky ... still my favorite .. but you have to get the overall length correct. I talked to the Barnes baliistician when I could not get my 270 weatherby to group and he told me to load a bullet in an empty case long, use a black sharpie and color the bullet, load it in the rifle and see where the lands engage the bullet ... then back off 0.050"

It worked perfectly!

Comment

Working...
                                X