Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dont look now but here comes hunting season

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by 2RLAKE View Post
    I find Barnes hand loads are tricky ... still my favorite .. but you have to get the overall length correct. I talked to the Barnes baliistician when I could not get my 270 weatherby to group and he told me to load a bullet in an empty case long, use a black sharpie and color the bullet, load it in the rifle and see where the lands engage the bullet ... then back off 0.050"

    It worked perfectly!
    Barnes are the only bullets I haven't loaded yet. I've pumped out dozens of accubonds, a few various hornadys and some Sierras. Unfortunately the magazine doesn't allow me to load to the lands. But everything that I've read about 300WSMs they like to jump the lands and seating depth isn't as touch and go as some other rounds. When I do get around to loading some up I think I am going to start at OAL from the factory ammunition, hopefully that eliminates one variable.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • Originally posted by 406planker View Post
      Barnes are the only bullets I haven't loaded yet. I've pumped out dozens of accubonds, a few various hornadys and some Sierras. Unfortunately the magazine doesn't allow me to load to the lands. But everything that I've read about 300WSMs they like to jump the lands and seating depth isn't as touch and go as some other rounds. When I do get around to loading some up I think I am going to start at OAL from the factory ammunition, hopefully that eliminates one variable.

      Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      i am a huge Barnes fan ... their load data on OAL is really good

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
        Here are some more hogs pics and a few bucks in velvet still.

        Look what this one hogs has done to my field. They really tear up some food plots. The times I have tried hunting him he has been a no show. Traps are coming soon.

        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Those pics are great, what a great setup your have there! Is there a season for the various animals or is it anytime of the year like it is here?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by MCKiwi View Post
          Those pics are great, what a great setup your have there! Is there a season for the various animals or is it anytime of the year like it is here?
          I wish I could hunt year round...... but then again its nice that I have a break to get out on the boat. Deer don't move much during the day when its 90 degress and 100% humidity.

          Hogs can be hunted year round. They are considered a nuisance animal in Louisiana and Mississippi and I think in other states as well.

          We have specific hunting periods for deer (Late Oct. to late Nov is Bow season and late Nov to Mid Feb is Gun) and turkey (Mid Feb to May).

          Its completely different hunting in the South Mississippi where my lease is located due to our short winters, the deer sometimes don't change there feeding habits like you see in the north.

          This past year we maybe had two weeks of weather in the 30s at night and it really didn't force the deer to feed during the day because it would get in the low 60s. I didn't kill anything this past year because I killed 3 does the year before. I was chasing bucks in the woods and was very selective on what I was and wasn't shooting.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by 2RLAKE View Post
            i am a huge Barnes fan ... their load data on OAL is really good
            Yeah, they're super accurate for me and this bear is the first critter I've dumped with them, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. He was DOA at 530yds, point of impact was probably within an inch of point of aim. It was pretty unbelievable.

            Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • Hunting season is quickly approaching for us in the south. Any of you guys up north get any big animals?

              Comment











              • Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                Comment


                • heading to two of my hunting leases this weekend (wife is heading to daughters to help before the new baby arrives in mid Sept.) ... tractor in tow to shred all my food plots at the one closest (~30 miles) and fill feeders (4x). Then heading to east Texas (~200 miles) Friday afternoon to fill feeders (6x), trim shooting lanes, stand repair/wasp killing, checking game cams, RV repairs (frozen faucet last winter) and sitting a bit to see what is around along with slaying feral hogs & coyotes. My son has been keeping tabs on the east TX place, filling feeders and checking cams... been seeing quite a few nice up and comer bucks (3-4 year old) with a few older shooters & culls.

                  heading to feed store for 2000 lbs of corn Thursday after work. I'm ready for cooler temperatures!!!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by pmkkdx View Post
                    heading to two of my hunting leases this weekend (wife is heading to daughters to help before the new baby arrives in mid Sept.) ... tractor in tow to shred all my food plots at the one closest (~30 miles) and fill feeders (4x). Then heading to east Texas (~200 miles) Friday afternoon to fill feeders (6x), trim shooting lanes, stand repair/wasp killing, checking game cams, RV repairs (frozen faucet last winter) and sitting a bit to see what is around along with slaying feral hogs & coyotes. My son has been keeping tabs on the east TX place, filling feeders and checking cams... been seeing quite a few nice up and comer bucks (3-4 year old) with a few older shooters & culls.

                    heading to feed store for 2000 lbs of corn Thursday after work. I'm ready for cooler temperatures!!!
                    The work that you put into the kill is the best part about it. We have out work days the first and last weekend in September.

                    I have been going to me lease every other week to fill feeders and checking cameras. The good thing about my lease is it is 10 minutes from the river!!

                    Sounds like you have a great setup with two leases to hunt.

                    What are you paying for a ton of corn? The grain elevators here in South Louisiana will sell a 1 ton bag for 175. Only problem is that you need to have drums to store the corn.

                    Comment


                    • LOL, the two places this weekend are only about half of my hunting areas. I have another way out in west Texas near Ozona (5.5 hours drive one way) but that's a full hard day drive to fill feeders (4x), one up in the panhandle (7+ hours drive) that my BIL handles feeders and another small place in central Texas (about an hour drive) but filled those 3 weeks ago (3x). I buy from a local feed store that does their own bagging from corn hauled in by rail car, 50 lb bags for $5.00 a bag
                      up to 20 bags, then 10 cents discount over that ... or $196/ton but give $0.10/bag credit if I bring my bags back for them to refill.

                      my wife tells me I am feeder poor since I maintain 17-18 feeders year around

                      Comment


                      • That's serious commitment right there
                        Aric


                        LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                        Register Here

                        2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                        2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                        For Sale:
                        2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

                        Comment


                        • yep, slightly over 20,000 lbs of corn last year and over 25k miles maintaining ranches and hunting. Call it a passion or an obsession

                          Comment


                          • Makes having 4 boats seem reasonable lol
                            Aric


                            LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                            Register Here

                            2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                            2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                            For Sale:
                            2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by pmkkdx View Post
                              yep, slightly over 20,000 lbs of corn last year and over 25k miles maintaining ranches and hunting. Call it a passion or an obsession
                              Man if only I had that amount of time. I know what it takes to have one lease much less 4. I'm also the president of my club so that adds some more responsibilities.

                              Texas is a whole different ball game when it comes to hunting. Yall have some great and big deer. We don't have much of that around me. The deer are smaller but the hogs are big.

                              Comment


                              • That is a lot of corn. I thought I had a lot to keep up.

                                Dave those hogs love your place. Are they there year round or only portions of the year? Late summer/early fall is when the come on my place. HOGS ARE THE DEVIL!!!
                                Where we're going, we don't need no skis. Cheeto

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X