Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dont look now but here comes hunting season

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
    Same here. I killed 4 does the year before last and didn't kill anything last year when I was letting stuff walk while tracking one buck. Im in the need for some meat...
    I know right…? A few schools of thought…

    1. Does are buck bait, don’t kill.
    2. Kill the doe early and get meat n freezer
    3. Wait till after the rut to kill a doe

    Problem with #3, deer hunting after the rut gets much harder, mainly because the chase is over and they’ve all been impregnated.
    The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

    Comment


    • Originally posted by slalomjunkie View Post
      I know right…? A few schools of thought…

      1. Does are buck bait, don’t kill.
      2. Kill the doe early and get meat n freezer
      3. Wait till after the rut to kill a doe

      Problem with #3, deer hunting after the rut gets much harder, mainly because the chase is over and they’ve all been impregnated.
      Yep - I've yet to be consistent with following the same school of thought. Some years I'll take a doe early and some years I'll hold off. Not sure any of the three is right/wrong.

      What bow are you gents shooting? With the 18 lineup being released in the next couple weeks, I've got my eye out for sales on the 17 models. The Mathews Halon 32 is pretty attractive to me.
      Tyler
      2014 MasterCraft ProStar

      Comment


      • Originally posted by slalomjunkie View Post
        I know right…? A few schools of thought…

        1. Does are buck bait, don’t kill.
        2. Kill the doe early and get meat n freezer
        3. Wait till after the rut to kill a doe

        Problem with #3, deer hunting after the rut gets much harder, mainly because the chase is over and they’ve all been impregnated.

        up here ... if it's brown... it's down

        Comment


        • Originally posted by slalomjunkie View Post
          I know right…? A few schools of thought…

          1. Does are buck bait, don’t kill.
          2. Kill the doe early and get meat n freezer
          3. Wait till after the rut to kill a doe

          Problem with #3, deer hunting after the rut gets much harder, mainly because the chase is over and they’ve all been impregnated.
          Here's the problem with South Mississippi hunting. It never gets cold enough, long enough for the deer to change their eating habits. Early in the season, not much is moving during the day. There is a time period between Thanksgiving and Christmas when the deer are moving more so taking a doe then is ideal.

          The shootable bucks aren't coming out during the day until Rut which for us is the end of January til the middle of February, so our window if very small and I had a handful of day time pictures of the monster walking on my lease last season during this time.

          I truly think that the rut for us is a lot later that what the Wildlife and Fisheries is claiming as the does we have on camera have very young fawns with them right now. Which based on that, Im not killing many does right now because Im not taking them away from the babies especially with the hogs we have running around. Its a very weird hunting we have down here.

          Its a catch 22 because it will be 85 this weekend so we can still be out on the water....

          Comment


          • Originally posted by tylerprostar View Post
            Yep - I've yet to be consistent with following the same school of thought. Some years I'll take a doe early and some years I'll hold off. Not sure any of the three is right/wrong.

            What bow are you gents shooting? With the 18 lineup being released in the next couple weeks, I've got my eye out for sales on the 17 models. The Mathews Halon 32 is pretty attractive to me.
            I have switched to a cross bow. I purchased a Barnett Crossbow last year and its so awesome.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by tylerprostar View Post
              YWhat bow are you gents shooting? With the 18 lineup being released in the next couple weeks, I've got my eye out for sales on the 17 models. The Mathews Halon 32 is pretty attractive to me.
              I’m currently on an older Browning (model name I cannot recall)… Browning was bought out by PSE, I bought off a buddy that has taught me everything I know about hunting... It’s a nice bow. I had it resized to my shorter arms, 70# draw, new string, custom arrows with stinger broad heads.

              At least tomorrow I won’t need the warmhands foot and hand warmers… 
              The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
                Here's the problem with South Mississippi hunting
                Try Panola county - brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

                Originally posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
                Its a catch 22 because it will be 85 this weekend so we can still be out on the water....
                I'm skiing after my hunt saturday hahaha
                The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

                Comment


                • i'm going bow hunting saturday afternoon or sunday morning ... they rifles opens up next saturday the 11th. My son and I will each take a doe typically that morning and then can concentrate on the bucks ... always have time for more does later. We went through 5 deer last year, still have a little meat left

                  Comment


                  • The weekend I winterized I goose hunted in the AM, then skied, the winterized, then bow hunted.

                    Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
                    Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

                    2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843

                    Comment


                    • What an amazing day Saturday. Hunt in the AM, ski in the PM. I picked up a gun for the 1st time in 5 years. Seven point bruiser cruising the feeders, decides to stop for a snack. Bad idea. A perfectly placed shot to the neck dropped him where he stood, no meat wasted. Craziest thing is, it did not look like there was an entry or exit wound. Bullet passed so fast, there was literally zero damage.

                      Remember what I said about a gun hunt having no challenge? I almost felt guilty for cheating on my bow.





                      The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by slalomjunkie View Post
                        What an amazing day Saturday. Hunt in the AM, ski in the PM. I picked up a gun for the 1st time in 5 years. Seven point bruiser cruising the feeders, decides to stop for a snack. Bad idea. A perfectly placed shot to the neck dropped him where he stood, no meat wasted. Craziest thing is, it did not look like there was an entry or exit wound. Bullet passed so fast, there was literally zero damage.

                        Remember what I said about a gun hunt having no challenge? I almost felt guilty for cheating on my bow.





                        Super Jealous... Nice take down.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by slalomjunkie View Post
                          What an amazing day Saturday. Hunt in the AM, ski in the PM. I picked up a gun for the 1st time in 5 years. Seven point bruiser cruising the feeders, decides to stop for a snack. Bad idea. A perfectly placed shot to the neck dropped him where he stood, no meat wasted. Craziest thing is, it did not look like there was an entry or exit wound. Bullet passed so fast, there was literally zero damage.

                          Remember what I said about a gun hunt having no challenge? I almost felt guilty for cheating on my bow.





                          huge congrats ... cant wait for Saturday!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by slalomjunkie View Post
                            What an amazing day Saturday. Hunt in the AM, ski in the PM. I picked up a gun for the 1st time in 5 years. Seven point bruiser cruising the feeders, decides to stop for a snack. Bad idea. A perfectly placed shot to the neck dropped him where he stood, no meat wasted. Craziest thing is, it did not look like there was an entry or exit wound. Bullet passed so fast, there was literally zero damage.

                            Remember what I said about a gun hunt having no challenge? I almost felt guilty for cheating on my bow.





                            Congrats, SJ ! Several deer for me this weekend, but nothing worth flying the arrow.
                            Tyler
                            2014 MasterCraft ProStar

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
                              Super Jealous... Nice take down.
                              Originally posted by 2RLAKE View Post
                              huge congrats ... cant wait for Saturday!
                              Originally posted by tylerprostar View Post
                              Congrats, SJ ! Several deer for me this weekend, but nothing worth flying the arrow.
                              Thank you. Biggest deer I've ever killed. Weighed so much, I had to use the winch to load it on my 4wheeler.

                              I'm going back to my bow this weekend. I REALLY WISH I had taken that buck with a broadhead. There are at least 2 spikes coming in I can still kill (one is 3/1, the other is 1/0 antler)... Plus theres 5-7 sluts coming in.
                              The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by slalomjunkie View Post
                                Thank you. Biggest deer I've ever killed. Weighed so much, I had to use the winch to load it on my 4wheeler.

                                I'm going back to my bow this weekend. I REALLY WISH I had taken that buck with a broadhead. There are at least 2 spikes coming in I can still kill (one is 3/1, the other is 1/0 antler)... Plus theres 5-7 sluts coming in.
                                Best of Luck. Im still trying to get in the woods and hunt. Been way to hot here in Louisiana/Mississippi.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X