Dont look now but here comes hunting season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pmkkdx View Post
    will be heading to my lease in NE Texas this weekend to plow & plant food plots, then pray for rain. This lease is MLD level 3, so our season starts Oct. 3 and goes thru Feb. 28.

My son and I are planning on an over the counter DIY elk hunt in SW Colorado during the 2nd rifle season. I have started picking up my step count but have a long ways to go in preparation for hiking at 10k feet.
    MLD is nice for sure!!

Elk hunt is my dream hunt one of these days!!!
    2017 XT23

2021 Lone Star Master Bash - June 11-13 - Lake Travis, TX
    Instagram: @lonestarmasterbash

Comment

• you are welcome to join my son and I ... I've been up many times over the past 40 years with fair success with those in our party having taken 3 bulls and about a 8 MD bucks. Most of those were in the late 1970s thru mid 1990s and mostly on public national forest lands, so no outrageous prices for hunting locations. I took a long break due to family and work but my son (adult) and I went back with a group of about 7 others from around TX and 1 from OH 5 years ago. We saw cows, calves and a few MD (we were bull only hunting) and one guy saw a decent 6x6 across a canyon but never could get within shooting distance. We will be camping out in the NF, just the two of us going so far this year, really only cost is getting there (we drive) and price of tag, so fairly cheap for the experience.

Comment

you are welcome to join my son and I ... I've been up many times over the past 40 years with fair success with those in our party having taken 3 bulls and about a 8 MD bucks. Most of those were in the late 1970s thru mid 1990s and mostly on public national forest lands, so no outrageous prices for hunting locations. I took a long break due to family and work but my son (adult) and I went back with a group of about 7 others from around TX and 1 from OH 5 years ago. We saw cows, calves and a few MD (we were bull only hunting) and one guy saw a decent 6x6 across a canyon but never could get within shooting distance. We will be camping out in the NF, just the two of us going so far this year, really only cost is getting there (we drive) and price of tag, so fairly cheap for the experience.
        You can buy a bull elk tag over the counter?
        2017 XT23

Comment

• Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
          You can buy a bull elk tag over the counter?
          yep, for 2nd and 3rd season in many hunt units ... tags can be good in multiple units as well, we hunt in unit 71, 74, 751, 77 and a couple of times in 78 all along the southern portion. I know the tags we bought last time were good in 71 and 74, possibly others. I am not finding the costs for the 2020 tags, but 2019 was $660 for a bull tag over the counter.

https://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/...seOptions.aspx
          Last edited by pmkkdx; 09-15-2020, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• woah, a bit tired. plowed and put out oats and wheat in 7 food plots, 30 bags of corn, rebuilt an awning over the slide of the travel trailer, replaced batteries & timers ...Thursday thru Sat. (400 miles), today plowed and put out more oats at my place in central Texas before the rains that are projected this week. Also took a dive from the bed of my truck to the ground from a missed step, sack of potatoes drop from the bed rail, landed middle of my shoulders. a bit sore after all the miles, steps and hitting the ground. The things we do for hunting but been above 15k steps the past 5 days preparing for our CO elk hunt in 4 weeks.

Comment

• finally, the week is here. My son and I worked all weekend getting things loaded and prepped for our CO elk hunt. We loaded/attached an old cabover camper on my gooseneck trailer and got it all strapped down, put wheel chocks behind it to load my son's CanAm Defender for easier getting around in the National Forest. Went thru all our camping gear, camp box with camping kitchen, Coleman stove/lanterns/heaters, easy-up canopies, all hunting clothes loaded in totes. We both got our rifles dialed in a few weeks back along with dope on ballistics at various distances. We just have to load the ice chests and food, hook on and load Defender ... pulling out mid morning on Wed. in hopes to have camp set up by mid day on Thursday after stopping in Durango for licenses and last few essential items, so we can do some scouting Thursday afternoon and Friday.

With all the fires up in the north part of the state, the NF may be overrun with displaced hunters, which could mean tough hunting conditions unless we dare get farther in than the majority.

Comment

finally, the week is here. My son and I worked all weekend getting things loaded and prepped for our CO elk hunt. We loaded/attached an old cabover camper on my gooseneck trailer and got it all strapped down, put wheel chocks behind it to load my son's CanAm Defender for easier getting around in the National Forest. Went thru all our camping gear, camp box with camping kitchen, Coleman stove/lanterns/heaters, easy-up canopies, all hunting clothes loaded in totes. We both got our rifles dialed in a few weeks back along with dope on ballistics at various distances. We just have to load the ice chests and food, hook on and load Defender ... pulling out mid morning on Wed. in hopes to have camp set up by mid day on Thursday after stopping in Durango for licenses and last few essential items, so we can do some scouting Thursday afternoon and Friday.

With all the fires up in the north part of the state, the NF may be overrun with displaced hunters, which could mean tough hunting conditions unless we dare get farther in than the majority.
                Good Luck and be safe!!
                2017 XT23

Comment

• I am just now getting in the mood still a little too warm for me but worked on one of the deer blinds this weekend until the welder took a poop!!

Gona try and put an arrow in the cull six point this weekend.
                  Attached Files
                  2017 XT23

Comment

• Not too warm here...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Headed to Aberdeen this weekend to pheasant hunt....cold and snowy.....forecast keeps getting colder.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
                      Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843

Comment

• Got a doe tonight, so I'm on the board for the year. Got pictures of these two battling it out. Camera is on a scrape in a clover plot.

Comment

• bcd, white tail? I guess I never thought about WT being in IA, figured Muleys or black tail only ...

Comment

• Originally posted by bcd View Post
                            Got a doe tonight, so I'm on the board for the year. Got pictures of these two battling it out. Camera is on a scrape in a clover plot.

Those look like some good ones!!! Supposed to get cold early next week that must be what ya'll are getting right now.
                            2017 XT23

Comment

bcd, white tail? I guess I never thought about WT being in IA, figured Muleys or black tail only ...
                              My buddy has family in Estherville and she says there are places with some big deer.
                              2017 XT23

Comment

bcd, white tail? I guess I never thought about WT being in IA, figured Muleys or black tail only ...
                                Are you confusing IA (iowa) with ID (Idaho)? Iowa is the land of giant white tails. No gun season during the rut and plenty of corn to eat.

My buddy's son just shot a 169" during youth season. His first deer, 20 minutes into his hunting career. He's ruined for life...

Comment

Working...
                                X