No announcement yet.

Dont look now but here comes hunting season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the weather was awesome the deer plenty. We were able to limit out on Sunday morning way earlier than I like to but what do you do...
    My daughter got her first deer after watching them for about an hour... now she has the bug big time.. can't wait till next years adventure! Son in-law got one too, it was one my daughter missed so he almost got out shot by a girl!

Comment

• Originally posted by curver900 View Post
      the weather was awesome the deer plenty. We were able to limit out on Sunday morning way earlier than I like to but what do you do...
      My daughter got her first deer after watching them for about an hour... now she has the bug big time.. can't wait till next years adventure! Son in-law got one too, it was one my daughter missed so he almost got out shot by a girl!
      What is your limit where you are?

My county in Texas is a 5 deer county with a regular license. 3 bucks and 2 does no more than 3 bucks I should say.
      2017 XT23

Comment

• Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
        bcd that is a bruiser!!!

I hunted this past weekend saw lots of deer but nothing that gave me an itchy finger! I did sight in my gun on a couple of pigs! It is on btw!!

This is looking down one sendero there are two more had about 40 plus deer at one time.
        looks like ya'll need to thin the doe herd with that many in one Sendero, but I do enjoy watching that many in hopes of a bruiser to cruise thru

Comment

• Originally posted by pmkkdx View Post
          looks like ya'll need to thin the doe herd with that many in one Sendero, but I do enjoy watching that many in hopes of a bruiser to cruise thru
          Ya we have been not all those were does lots of little bucks mixed in. Believe it or not when I first starting hunting this place about 12 years ago I would see 50 to 60. We have been shooting at least 10 each year. We have right at 300 acres but lots of land around us that hold deer as well.

We have been shooting them early I think I want to wait this year and shoot them later in the season to see if we can entice a big one in.
          2017 XT23

Comment

• Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
            What is your limit where you are?

My county in Texas is a 5 deer county with a regular license. 3 bucks and 2 does no more than 3 bucks I should say.
            no bonus this year just one per gun... we have had years where you can take up to 5.. only one antlered... and years where you can only take antlered... but under 17 you can shoot either or regardless plus a early season if you so choose for the young ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by curver900 View Post
              no bonus this year just one per gun... we have had years where you can take up to 5.. only one antlered... and years where you can only take antlered... but under 17 you can shoot either or regardless plus a early season if you so choose for the young ones.
              Wow ok fluctuates each year based on numbers I guess.

Our with a regular lic hasn't changed in years.

Now if you have an MLD permit you can shoot whatever the biologist says needs to be shot each year. Those don't count towards your lic. This is for low or high fenced places doesn't matter.

For instance my cousin works on a 1,000 acre high fenced ranch and they have to kill 154 deer, so in theory he could by himself kill all 154 deer himself. If your place is low fenced and you have the MLD it is the same way whatever the biologists says goes. MLDP is what is actually called Managed Deer Land Program. And with that program you have two extra months to rifle hunt. October 1st to the end of February.
              2017 XT23

Comment

• Originally posted by bcd View Post
                I was out on my public land spot all day yesterday. Checked my cameras there for the first time and had this guy on there. I passed this 9pt and a couple other ts yesterday. Had good action up until noon, then it got warm out. Highs in the upper 60s all the way through the weekend, so not looking good for hunting.

Saturday morning I had a big 8 pt corralling a doe in front of my for 4 hours. He chased off a couple of other bucks also. He never got farther than 100 yards, but never got closer than 45 yards. I had to leave him there

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                Got back out today, and I nailed the big 8. Here he is. I measured him at 140 1/2". 1.25 miles back in steep hill public land. I cut him up in the field and packed him out in two trips. It was better than dragging, but still sucked.

Comment

• Originally posted by bcd View Post
                  Got back out today, and I nailed the big 8. Here he is. I measured him at 140 1/2". 1.25 miles back in steep hill public land. I cut him up in the field and packed him out in two trips. It was better than dragging, but still sucked.

That is a great deer congrats!!!
                  2017 XT23

Comment

• Nice buck! 4 pointer in CO.

Comment

• Taking this week off in KY .... great week so far ... seen a big 160-170 inch buck that last two morning down by the river which is a big deer here .... heading back out in the morning and hopefully he will cooperate!

Spending the noon break working on the hunting cabin ... have the LG ductless HVAC system ... what a difference having heat and air now!

Comment

• Originally posted by 2RLAKE View Post
                        Taking this week off in KY .... great week so far ... seen a big 160-170 inch buck that last two morning down by the river which is a big deer here .... heading back out in the morning and hopefully he will cooperate!

Spending the noon break working on the hunting cabin ... have the LG ductless HVAC system ... what a difference having heat and air now!
                        Good Luck!!!
                        2017 XT23

Comment

• Me and the boy took care of some corn thiefs the other day.
                          Attached Files
                          2017 XT23

Comment

• I don't get a lot of time to hunt these days, so I wasn't being to picky when this little guy came by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• I don't use corn.... instead perfer to use my legs and lots of cameras....

Maybe not Texas sized, but a darn nice non-typical by Michigan standards.
                              Last edited by 86Skier; 11-20-2020, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• cool looking deer! I wouldn't compare to Texas deer, as most of ours are about the size of a big German Shepard for the most part. Central Texas likely has the largest population per sq mile but finding a buck that field dresses over 120 lbs is not the norm. I know the northern WT are MUCH bigger bodies, which in turn makes the antlers not look as impressive as the same rack on a much smaller bodied deer. The place I hunt in east Texas has been properly managed to let the bucks grow to more of their full potential but the 10 point (150ish b/c score) field dressed about 155 lbs which was one of the largest body deer I have killed in TX.

rumor has it the rut is starting to really kick in at my east TX place, so I am heading there mid day today for the weekend before family comes in Sunday for the week of Thanksgiving. I'm sure there will be some lead flying at hogs (already taken 11 since Oct.) and any mature bucks that I can age past 5.5 years old, maybe a few does ...

Comment

Working...
                                X