Dont look now but here comes hunting season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pmkkdx View Post
    you are way ahead of me! I've been swamped with work and honey-do stuff ... finally went out to my east TX lease a couple of weeks ago to rearrange some stands and feeders, shredded some and did a bunch of clearing around what used to be our camp area. Had a fire get out of hand on adjoining ranch, burned thru a large portion of our place including our camp. Total loss of several travel trailers (mine included), shelters, skinning shed, several stands and also torched all wiring to the various camper locations. Ugh! I am heading out this weekend with new travel trailer and all my electrical stuff to put back in several 30 amp and 50 amp service connections, and getting power back over to where we will rebuild our skinning shed. Haven't had time to think about plowing/planting at any of my hunting locations. On the place in east TX, we are MLD3, so Oct. 1 season opens.
    Oh man that is not good!! Geez sorry to hear hope you get it all figured out. Ya your season is gona be here fast. Hec I haven't even dove hunted this year and bow season starts soon. I really find it hard to get in the mood to hunt anything when it is this hot.
    2017 XT23

Comment

• I jacked my shoulder up 3 or 4 weeks ago and still can't pull my bow back. Not sure I'll be able to hunt when the season opens next weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by bcd View Post
        I jacked my shoulder up 3 or 4 weeks ago and still can't pull my bow back. Not sure I'll be able to hunt when the season opens next weekend.
        Ya I just had back surgery Friday so i have done for a few weeks also.
        2017 XT23

Comment

• spent several days out in the woods of east Texas last weekend. Picked up 800 pounds of corn while in town, then out to camp to get the a/c going, loaded up my road feeder on my Kubota RTV and passed by our hunting location spinning the gold. My son's set up is in a large field with some really long shots possible (450+ yards), so I corned all those for him, then over to my new set up to corn there and replace feeder batteries if need (had corn out since Aug.) then over to my other area to corn, batteries, etc. I went thru about 450 pounds of corn out of my road feeder. Headed out early Sat. morning to a nice cool breeze (51 degree) and sat at my new location until about noon, mainly just seeing what might be coming in. We didn't get cameras out until last weekend. Saw a few does and several young 2.5-3.5 year old bucks. To camp for lunch, then back to the same spot till well past dark. One feeder never went off, but doesn't really matter as the deer showed little to no interest in the areas I put out the fresh corn, I am guessing way to many acorns and fresh growth native plants from the rains a few weeks back.

Sunday, I decided to try out my 2nd spot. saw 4 bucks pass thru, 3 being 2.5-3.5 y/o and one more mature 8 point I suspect might push 4.5. again, sat till noonish, camp for lunch, then back out early afternoon. It was pretty brutal, showed 96 degrees in the stand. only saw a couple of young does and a couple of young bucks and none paid any attention to the feeders or corned lanes. Monday, I went back to this same spot. I had 2 young bucks graze down the lane between the stand and main feeder, come within about 20 yards of the stand, then circled to my left passing 2 more corned lanes. I sat until about noon and had to get loaded up, fill travel trailer water tank, and head home.

had fund, saw a few deer, a couple of pigs and likely won't have a chance to hunt again until the first weekend/week of Nov. I will spend 3-4 days in East Texas, come home and repack, then head to west Texas to do my game counts and surveys, fill feeders & pull SD cards to see what we have this year.

Comment

• I only have one good buck on camera so far. Scrapes have opened up and I put out some cameras on my public land spot, so hopefully more show up. I jacked my shoulder up before Labor Day, so I haven't shot my bow much. I'm able to pull it back and shoot it finally, but it's painful. I've only been doing 1 arrow a day every 2-3 days for practice. I put out a ground blind hoping to take my 7 year old daughter with me last weekend, but it was warm and east wind, which was completely the wrong direction for that spot. Weather looks more promising this weekend to get out with her.

Comment

• First hunt of the year in Sunday night. It was pretty warm, but that made it nice for my daughter. We had a little 8 pt come in twice and saw 3 does up in the woods but they stayed up in the woods. The 2nd time this 8 pt came in, he cut all the way around the blind at 10 yards before he caught my daughter moving. She had a lot of fun, but really wanted me to shoot the 8 pt. It's not the best picture, but I got her and the buck in the same shot. There was only 15 minutes of legal shooting left, so my phone camera was lighting up the inside of the blind and I had to shut it off.

Comment

First hunt of the year in Sunday night. It was pretty warm, but that made it nice for my daughter. We had a little 8 pt come in twice and saw 3 does up in the woods but they stayed up in the woods. The 2nd time this 8 pt came in, he cut all the way around the blind at 10 yards before he caught my daughter moving. She had a lot of fun, but really wanted me to shoot the 8 pt. It's not the best picture, but I got her and the buck in the same shot. There was only 15 minutes of legal shooting left, so my phone camera was lighting up the inside of the blind and I had to shut it off.
                That is awesome!! Looks pretty green up there still?
                2017 XT23

Comment

• Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post

That is awesome!! Looks pretty green up there still?
                  That's my clover plot, which is the greenest thing around right now. The leaves are nearing peak color now. The beans are all coming out now and are very brown/dry, along with some corn. Weeds are browning up. We've had a couple of frosts so far, but next week there is a hard freeze in the forecast. That should take away some green.

Comment

That's my clover plot, which is the greenest thing around right now. The leaves are nearing peak color now. The beans are all coming out now and are very brown/dry, along with some corn. Weeds are browning up. We've had a couple of frosts so far, but next week there is a hard freeze in the forecast. That should take away some green.
                    I am ready for it to cool off soon, since our lake is dried up. Supposed to be 93 here this weekend. I think a cool front will come Monday supposed to be high of 72, but we won't see a freeze until mid November if lucky.
                    2017 XT23

Comment

• I had this guy at 70 yards tonight but couldn't get him to come in.

Comment

I had this guy at 70 yards tonight but couldn't get him to come in.
                        Nice heavy horned deer.
                        2017 XT23

Comment

• Nine year old grandson bagged his first doe over the weekend. He was a happy boy
                          Attached Files
                          If for some reason you start to believe you are a person with influence, just try ordering somebody else's dog around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slinkyredfoot View Post
                            Nine year old grandson bagged his first doe over the weekend. He was a happy boy
                            That's good stuff right there!!
                            2017 XT23

Comment

• Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post

That's good stuff right there!!
                              Glad you think so because it is, memory of a lifetime and he is so good with his crossbow
                              If for some reason you start to believe you are a person with influence, just try ordering somebody else's dog around.

Comment

• awesome ... that is terrific ... you must be proud

Comment

Working...
                                X