X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mastar
    replied
    Originally posted by dvsone79 View Post
    Solid! Especially for 190lbs body weight. Jealous of that squat! Mine is weak...
    Thanks I'm going to have to deload soon with all these summer vacations interrupting. I will try to maintain then get back on it this fall / winter.

Leave a comment:

• dvsone79
    replied
    Originally posted by Mastar View Post
    Currently doing Wendlers 531 program. I have been using it for 6 months, and it's Starting to get really tough.
    All current 1 Rep max
    Deadlift 445
    Squat 410
    Bench 290
    Overhead press 190

6' and 190 lbs
    Solid! Especially for 190lbs body weight. Jealous of that squat! Mine is weak...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• epnault
    replied
    Nice stats

Leave a comment:

• Mastar
    replied
    Currently doing Wendlers 531 program. I have been using it for 6 months, and it's Starting to get really tough.
    All current 1 Rep max
    Deadlift 445
    Squat 410
    Bench 290
    Overhead press 190

6' and 190 lbs

Leave a comment:

• CantRepeat
    replied
    Hit a new PR on deadlift today. 495. Pretty stoked. Been chasing a 5 plate DL for a while...
    https://youtu.be/3afQmXRFi_M
    BRO!! Do you even lift!!!

Leave a comment:

• epnault
    replied
    Nice work!

Leave a comment:

• dvsone79
    replied
    Hit a new PR on deadlift today. 495. Pretty stoked. Been chasing a 5 plate DL for a while...
    https://youtu.be/3afQmXRFi_M

Leave a comment:

• mts205
    replied
    Havent been here for almost 2 years after selling the boat and having a baby. But love that this thread is still around. Been on a strongman based program. New numbers are 410 bench, 475squat, 545 deadlift. Next week going to check my overhead. Stay healthy guys.

Leave a comment:

• jeffbare
    replied
    Thanks for the comments, I look forward to being part of the gym. I have completed 3 of 4 one on one training sessions they require before joining the group. I can really see how it becomes a community, a lot different from wearing earbuds at the gym, doing my own thing.

Leave a comment:

• dvsone79
    replied
    Originally posted by Tookeymonster View Post
    If you do a weight gain take it slow slow slow. The faster you try to gain weight the more fat you will gain. Eat 1.5 grams of protine per pound of your current body weight and adjust your carbs and fat accordingly to put your self in a slight surplus of calories. YOU NEED CARBS. Adjust your proteins up as your lean body mass increases. As for the lifts don't max out more than every 6 weeks. Don't totally focus one the big 4 lifts, do lots of supporting muscles strength exercises.

For building up your squats work on some slow 4 and 6 second negatives pause at the bottom and explode up. If you have access to a nice rack, rack it low (bottom of your squat) and get under it and explode up and bring it back down and let all the weight rest on the rack before you explode up. Also get a good realistic 6 week goal weight (add 20 lbs to the goal) on the squat and practice un-racking it and just holding it for a few seconds and re-racking it, increase the hold time weekly.
    Definitely going to try this. I was doing Smolov Strong Lifts programming and ended up hurting my left knee. I think the volume was just too high for me. It had me squatting 5-6 days per week.

I have a squat rack in my garage so I’ll give those negatives a try for sure.

For accessory work I’ve been doing reverse hypers and hip thrusts with a barbell, as well as occasional front and overhead squats. Any others you’d recommend? Hip thrusts in particular seem to help. Only started those recently.

Leave a comment:

• dvsone79
    replied
    +5 on CrossFit. Once I’m done with this push to get 225/315/405/495 on shoulder press/bench press/squat/deadlift, I will go back to more CF programming. And what Tookey said about finding a good gym is very good advice. It becomes a community, and the affiliate owner, coaches, and other members really can make it or break it.

Leave a comment:

• Tookeymonster
    replied
    Those are great numbers. You are my height plus about 35 lbs. Maybe I need to gain some weight! I know it isn’t that easy, but it has been REALLY slow making gains on my squat. I’d take on 30+ lbs of body weight if it meant 30+ lbs added to my squat!
    If you do a weight gain take it slow slow slow. The faster you try to gain weight the more fat you will gain. Eat 1.5 grams of protine per pound of your current body weight and adjust your carbs and fat accordingly to put your self in a slight surplus of calories. YOU NEED CARBS. Adjust your proteins up as your lean body mass increases. As for the lifts don't max out more than every 6 weeks. Don't totally focus one the big 4 lifts, do lots of supporting muscles strength exercises.

For building up your squats work on some slow 4 and 6 second negatives pause at the bottom and explode up. If you have access to a nice rack, rack it low (bottom of your squat) and get under it and explode up and bring it back down and let all the weight rest on the rack before you explode up. Also get a good realistic 6 week goal weight (add 20 lbs to the goal) on the squat and practice un-racking it and just holding it for a few seconds and re-racking it, increase the hold time weekly.

Leave a comment:

• Tookeymonster
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffbare View Post
    What are your thoughts on CrossFit? I just turned 45, and joined a local CrossFit gym. I want to get back in shape, but not too concerned (at this point) with big lifting numbers. I also don’t want to do more damage to my knees, joints, and back, throwing the javelin until 30 already did.
    If its a good CF gym and they are not pushing you to do RX and give you options if you have old injury's, then CF will be good for you if you like it and the community. As long as the community is a good one.

Leave a comment:

• snobinge
    replied
    +3 for CrossFit. I’m almost 42 and have been involved...various levels of commitment...for 5ish yes. PM me as well with questions.

Leave a comment:

• 76S&S
    replied
    It took me a while to adopt crossfit but, now that I've been doing it a while I like it. I'm 55 so I rarely lift heavy anymore and crossfit gives me a good whole body work out. I've also dropped 17 lbs, so that is a big plus but, that's more related to diet than exercise.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X