Invisible dog fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invisible dog fence

I'm looking to install a 2 acre invisible fence at home for my two labs ... and there is a strong rumor that i might have a silver lab puppy coming in 4-5 weeks!

Looking on Amazon at several ... Extreme Dog Fence DIY kit about $600

Just had a quote from invisible fence, fully installed, training, services ... $2500

What have y'all used?

Thanks much

Dave

I use the pet safe system that is completely wireless. Forget what it’s called. My 2 dogs are contained to about 1 acre. I know there is a way to use 2 systems together to extend your range. It was the best thing we did for the dogs. You have to have the right set up to be able to use the wireless system. You need a flat yard and the ability to plug the transducer in the middle. I have a business partner who paid the big money and had invisible fence do his. He says it was worth it for their warranty. I also have another friend who bought a no name brand on amazon and installed it himself. He also loves his. He did rent the machine to burry the line which made it pretty easy to install. I don’t think you can go wrong either way. I will never go without having a dog or dogs and I will never go without them being on some type of electric fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought 1000 ft of wire from amazon plus the pet safe controller. The rented the cable sneak machine from Home Depot. Did about 800ft in about 2 hours with one driveway crossing.

Comment

Bought a kit online for my dogs and installed myself. Rented a trencher which made it super easy. Big savings that way as you can see. I ordered from FlexPetz.com
        If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
        1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

Comment

Hey let me know what you need we have a friend who is an invisible fence rep. Might be able to get you all the stuff if your installing by yourself.

Comment

The only thing I recommend is not going cheap on the wire. I have had cheap wire before and had to fix it constantly. With my new fence I have solid copper core wire, I forget what gage, and I have had no problems in 5 years.

Comment

petsafe system for 2 acres here....been in use for 8 years!! Over that course of time, two labs, a Bernese mtn dog and a great Pyrenees

bought off of ebay

bought heaviest guage wife offered (14 awg I think) and also bought a spool of pre-twisted wire (PITA to twist yourself, did that at my last house )

Rented a bed bug with a cable attachment from Ace hardware. Basically you pull it backwards and it digs the trench, lays the wire and covers it back up.

did the perimeter of my yard in under 2 hours

Lesson learned...buy the lightning arrester, too
              Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843

Comment

If you do not want to buy pre twisted wire... just put the two ends in a drill and... it twists up very easy.

Comment

Originally posted by gsxrjtt View Post
                  Hey let me know what you need we have a friend who is an invisible fence rep. Might be able to get you all the stuff if your installing by yourself.
                  PM'd ya

Comment

We have had one that was installed by Dog Watch for about 10 years. We love it. It works really well. My husky is an escape artist. He tests it regularly (there is a zone where you only get a warning beep). Pretty sure I could just take the collar off my shepherd and she probably would never know the difference. My husky has gotten out during power outages before. And once when his collar battery went dead.

Comment

We went with invisible fence because my male is very bullheaded and I didn't trust that the diy kits would work for him since it only hits them when they cross it. The invisible fence continues to hit them until they get back in the containment zone which makes it so that they don't figure out to just run through it fast, get one quick jolt and be free. The default setting is for 10 seconds but for very stubborn dogs that will wait it out, it can be programmed for up to 60 seconds. We have been happy with the service we have received, although as you mentioned it is substantially more money.

Comment

^^ This. We also have the system that continues to shock until they return inside the perimeter. Best system ever!

Comment

I would recommend if you have a stubborn dog (IE a husky) get the real invisible fence. The endless boundary shock is well worth it where as right now with the Pet Safe fence I have two strides and they are beyond the shock and on an adventure. Don't get me wrong they will stay in the fence line but if something catches their attention (such as small prey) they are gone.

Comment

Originally posted by lakedrum03 View Post
                            I bought 1000 ft of wire from amazon plus the pet safe controller. The rented the cable sneak machine from Home Depot. Did about 800ft in about 2 hours with one driveway crossing.
                            Aw, just train her. She is a smart dog and you have plenty of free time. Morgan learned the yards of both of the houses we lived in while she was alive.
                            2003 ProStar 197, MCX and Powerslot.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson
                            "Freedom is beneficial to everyone equally" - Ron Paul
                            Taxation = Theft

Comment

I bought the Pet Safe system for "aggressive dogs" 9 years ago. It still works perfectly today. I installed it myself. I used my Honda Rubicon, a 3/4" piece of threaded rod, a piece of bent conduit, and piece of round stock steel to install the system to enclose 5 acres.

I have been extremely happy with the system.

Comment

Working...
                              X