Let's try this again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's try this again.

Same stupid #%&*, different thread title.

I didn’t answer my phone fast enough for my boss one night this week, so he let someone with little-to-no electrical knowledge take a stab at a problem. When I called back, the boss said “we got it fixed”. I came in the next morning and the machine was down. 2HP AC motor was smoked and the heaters on the overload were toast. I ordered the parts on an overnight and when we turned the machine back on, the new motor stalled and the heaters started to smoke. The machine had a mechanical bind, so the heaters are supposed to trip the overload and drop out the motor contactor…which they didn’t.

The “mechanic” removed just three wires from the contactor to check the overload and the auxiliary contacts. He marked EACH WIRE with a “0” and put them back. With no schematic, it took me an hour to figure out that the black 0 goes on the same terminal with the red 0. Three wires!!!
    Attached Files
    “You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.

Green to ground? Yeah We're good

Comment

Yesssssssss its back!

Comment

Department manager emailed me the fault screen picture. "Main Drive in current limit". The OEM is already going to install a new $12K inverter drive in the machine next month, so we just reset the fault and move on. In our plant, the FIRST step with ANY electrical problem is to put a big *** fan on the electrical cabinet.
        Attached Files
        “You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.

Comment

At least he didn't throw water on it.

Comment

Originally posted by JimN View Post
            At least he didn't throw water on it.
            They only use the water for an over temperature alarm.

Comment

Originally posted by ahhudgins View Post
              They only use the water for an over temperature alarm.
              And it will stay cool if it exceeds the current limit? How does that work?

Never mind, I think I know-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iAS5VaVR5o

Comment

Fuses blow for a reason and putting in a larger fuse does not solve the problem...it creates more problems. I have actually found 5 amp fuses replaced with 30 amp fuses.
                5+ years and nothing ever changes.
                Attached Files

Comment

Fuses blow for a reason and putting in a larger fuse does not solve the problem...it creates more problems. I have actually found 5 amp fuses replaced with 30 amp fuses.
                  In and of itself, that's not so bad. Your real problem is someone had earlier replaced the original 1 amp fuse with a 5 amp fuse!!!

Comment

just think how boring your life would be...
                    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
                      just think how boring your life would be...
                      We just spent over $4M on two new pieces of equipment and additional building space. We were supposed to send at least one person to the OEM maintenance training classes at a cost of around $50K. We sent NO ONE. We'll just wing it!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SkiDaddy View Post
                        In and of itself, that's not so bad. Your real problem is someone had earlier replaced the original 1 amp fuse with a 5 amp fuse!!!
                        You joke, but that is the standard mode of operation.

Comment

Kinda familiar with fuses. Ever seen an ATO fuse with wire wrapped around the tabs after the filament melted?

I worked at a stereo store and at least five years in a row, a woman came in on Christmas Eve, to have her receiver repaired for her party that night. Every time, the AGC fuses were wrapped with aluminum foil, the circuit board around them and the output transistors was burned to crap and we just couldn't get her to buy something that would handle being treated like a farm animal but she wouldn't have it- this was a Pioneer SX-525 and the one I had put out a blistering 13W/[email protected]% THD when it was tested.

Would thus help?
                          Attached Files

Comment

We just spent over $4M on two new pieces of equipment and additional building space. We were supposed to send at least one person to the OEM maintenance training classes at a cost of around $50K. We sent NO ONE. We'll just wing it!
                            At least you have clearly defined walking lanes to keep safe!

Comment

You need a new employer.
                              Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

Working...
                              X