No announcement yet.

Instant Pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone had success with doing rice in an instant pot?
    -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
      I have not tried this yet, so I'll be curious to see what the response to this is.

Comment

No, tried a couple of times, however if I were trying to make glue, then it would have been a huge success.
        Being on the water is best, but when I'm not on the water I'm on TT.

2002 X Star
        Sold - 76 S&S

Comment

Due to this thread, I pulled the Instant Pot out and last night I made Mongolian beef which I served along with white rice and fried rice and some pot stickers, none of which were made in the instant pot.

recipe for mongolian beef: https://theblondcook.com/instant-pot-mongolian-beef/

really good, tender, tasty

Comment

Originally posted by 76S&S View Post
            No, tried a couple of times, however if I were trying to make glue, then it would have been a huge success.
            Yup, that's about what I got out of it. The chicken in the pot turned out great. It just wasn't a good showing of chicken and rice. Flavors were on point.
            -Tim

Comment

I MEAL Prep with it and make rice all the time. The trick is use a ratio of 1 to 1 with rice and liquid and always rinse the rice thoroughly before putting it in. If you don't do this step you will get glue. I cook my chicken or pork then strain the broth and use that to make the rice for way better flavor. cook it for 4 min and let it Natural pressure release for 10 min and it's perfect

Comment

Originally posted by BRADP43619 View Post
                I MEAL Prep with it and make rice all the time. The trick is use a ratio of 1 to 1 with rice and liquid and always rinse the rice thoroughly before putting it in. If you don't do this step you will get glue. I cook my chicken or pork then strain the broth and use that to make the rice for way better flavor. cook it for 4 min and let it Natural pressure release for 10 min and it's perfect

I'm very familiar with rice cooking and prep work. I have a rice cooker and I always rinse the rice. I did so for the instatpot as well. The 1-1 ratio might be what I'm missing.
                -Tim

Comment

Here are a couple recipes we love.

https://addapinch.com/one-pot-penne-pasta-recipe/

https://thisoldgal.com/instant-pot-c...arlic-chicken/

Also, (garlic) mashed potatoes are very easy and very good in instant pot.

Comment

Very good

Instant pot pork chops with balsamic glaze. On a plate, mix 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, 2 teaspoons of salt, 1 teaspoon of pepper and rub evenly to both sides of the pork chops. Set instant pot to sauté and add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. When oil is hot, brown both sides of the porkchops for 3 minutes on each side. After browning pork chops, remove from pot and set aside, and press cancel on the pot. Add 1 cup of chicken broth to the pot and scrape the bottom with the wooden spoon. Place the trivet in the pot and add the pork chops onto the trivet. Secure the lid and set to pressure cook for 12 minutes. Natural release for at least 10 minutes before removing from pot. For the glaze, in a small sauce pan, mix 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of cornstarch, 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar, 1/2 cup of water, and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce. Heat and stir until the mixture thickens and boils( about 3 to 4 minutes). Brush or drizzle the pork chops with the glaze. Serve immediately. My husband loved it but to me the soy sauce had a strong taste, so next time I’m going to try it with either 1 tablespoon of soy sauce or no soy sauce at all. The porkchops were very tender. Enjoy.
                    2002 Blue Prostar 197, 0 Flex Tower, Perfect Pass, and The Preditor-ADHD Skier

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :

Comment

Here's my recipe for Chicken Chili-I made a ton of this during Football season for my tailgates. The Instapot is great because I can make a batch in an hour and half instead of the 5-6 hours it took using a slow cooker.

1.5 lbs Chicken Breast
                      2 ea 15 oz cans White Chili Beans
                      2 ea 4 oz cans Diced chiles (Hot/Hot, Hot/Mild or Mild/Mild) your choice
                      1 ea 15 oz can Corn
                      20 oz Chicken Broth
                      1 medium Yellow Onion diced
                      2 cloves Garlic minced
                      4 oz Cream Cheese
                      1/4 cup Half and Half or Heavy Cream your choice
                      1 tsp Salt
                      1/2 tsp Black Pepper
                      1 tsp Cumin
                      3/4 tsp Oregano
                      1/2 tsp Chili Powder
                      1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper

Place the Chicken Breast in the bottom of the pot.
                      Sprinkle the spices and garlic over the top of Chicken.
                      Next layer the Diced Onions.
                      Next layer the Corn.
                      Next layer the Chiles.
                      Last layer the White Chili Beans.
                      Finally add the Chicken Broth.

My Instapot has a Chili setting that use for 60 minutes.

After the 60 minutes release the pressure and take out the Chicken Breast.
                      Add the Cream Cheese and Half and Half.
                      Shred the Chicken Breast.
                      Use an immersion blender to break up the Cream Cheese.
                      Do not over blend-I usually do 5 or 6 short bursts.
                      Add the shredded Chicken Breast back in.
                      Give everything a good stir and you're ready to go.

Serve with Shredded Cheese, Sour Cream, Fritos and/or Corn Bread.

It's an easy way to feed a bunch of people. I make 2-3 batches ahead of time and warm the chili up in a couple of slow cookers.
                      Last edited by rgardjr1; 10-02-2019, 12:54 PM.
                      2006 Maristar 200 SS

Comment

So after the ribs I made, thanks for PMks recipe, I decided to try my hand at a brisket.

Here is the recipe and cooking instructions I used:

• 3 lb. beef brisket, flat cut
                        • 1 teaspoon seasoned meat tenderizer
                        • 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
                        • 1/4 teaspoon Lowry’s seasoned salt
                        • 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
                        • 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
                        • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
                        • 1/2 cup water
                        • 1 cup BBQ sauce, plus additional for serving – Jack Daniels Hickory

Cooking:

1. Combine meat tenderizer, celery salt, seasoned salt, and garlic salt in a small bowl. Rub spices into brisket.

2. Put water and BBQ sauce in the pressure cooking pot. Select High Pressure and set the timer for 2 hrs. Quick release pressure. When valve drops carefully remove lid.

3. Carefully remove the meat from the pressure cooker to a cookie sheet

4. Brush healthy amount of BBQ sauce onto the top of the brisket

5. Put brisket into over on the cookie sheet and broil until you get the charred look, door cracked open.

6. Serve with additional BBQ sauce if needed.

Note: the original cooking instructions I found online stated to cook for 60 minutes. I did that and it was still a bit tougher than I wanted. So I cooked it another 30 minutes… So while 1.5 hours was nice, 2 hours I believe would have been perfect.

Also, the original instructions did not call for the oven/broil, I adapted that from PMKs rib recipe.
                        The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

Will be my next meal on the IP

Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup

Ingredients
                          1 Tablespoon butter
                          1 medium onion, diced
                          3 cloves garlic, minced
                          3 cups chicken broth
                          1 can/box cream of chicken soup (I prefer Pacific Foods brand)
                          7-8 medium sized russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes (about 2.5 pounds of potatoes)
                          1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or more/less to taste)
                          black pepper to taste (I like a lot of pepper)
                          1 cup milk
                          1 tablespoon flour
                          2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I use sharp cheddar)
                          Garnish:
                          5-6 slices bacon (cooked and chopped)
                          sliced green onions
                          shredded cheddar cheese

Instructions
                          Add butter to the Instant Pot and turn on the sauté button. Once butter is melted, add in the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft. Add in the garlic and cook for one additional minute until fragrant, stirring constantly so that garlic does not burn.
                          Add the chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, potatoes, salt, and pepper to the pot, and stir well. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the vent valve to "sealing." Cook over manual high pressure for 10 minutes, then quick release the pressure.
                          Meanwhile, stir together the milk and flour in a small bowl to create a slurry. Set aside.
                          Once the steam has completely released and the pin has dropped on the lid, open the lid and stir in the slurry. Turn the pot to sauté and cook the soup for 4-5 minutes, until thickened. Stir in the 2 cups of cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Serve garnished with chopped bacon, green onions, and more cheese. Enjoy!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :

Comment

Some BBQ Sauce you'll kill for!

Ingredients:
                            • 1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar (packed)
                            • 1/3 Tsp Tabasco Sauce
                            • 1/3 Cup White Vinegar
                            • 1/4 Cup Heinz Tomato Paste
                            • 2 Cups of Heinz Ketchup
                            • 4 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
                            • 1/2 Large Onion (minced)
                            • 1/4 Cup Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
                            • 3/4 Cup Molasses
                            • 1/2 Tsp Salt
                            • 1/2 Tsp Pepper
                            • 3/4 Cup Old#7 Jack Daniel's Whiskey

Tsp = teaspoon

Preparation Combine onion, garlic and Jack Daniel's Whiskey in a 3 quart sauce pan. Saute until onion and garlic are translucent, around 10 minutes. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then turn down to medium simmer. Simmer about 20 minutes, stirring bits if you prefer a smoother sauce ( I do, after cooking you can even strain the sauce if you like). This sauce has some very unique characteristic: It taste completely different if you use it as a cold after sauce as apposed to a finishing sauce in your smoker or grill.
                            -Tim

Comment

Got one of these for Christmas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De5htN1MA4E

Comment

Christmas dinner was (mostly) an instant pot meal. Made mongolian beef, cashew chicken and some lo mein in the instant pot. White rice, some fried rice, some pot stickers, spring rolls and orange chicken made outside the pot. Very nice Chinese food meal for Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                                X