Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jafo9
    replied
    I've owned several sit downs (couches) and several stand ups. Currently have 3 stand ups and and 1 couch in the inventory. As was mentioned above, 6K including trailer won't go that far. From a stand up stand point, you will definitely be getting a 2 stroke. If you try and stay between 2-3K, i'd look for a square nose super jet. The round nose is a newer upper deck but the hull is the same up to 2008. My guess is that a decent round nose will push you above 3K. Don't be tempted by some of the older kawasaki's as they will require a fair amount of work to make them fun. I have an 89 kawasaki 650sx and even with a performance exhaust, upgraded intake/carb, ride plate and scoop grate, it still doesn't hold a candle to my superjet or my SXR. It's great for small kids but not so much for full size adults. For the remainder of the budget, I'd look for a non supercharged yamaha or kawasaki 4 stroke. the kawasaki STX-15 hull is based on the old STX 2 stroke hull from the late 90's. this means that it is a small 3 seater with a pretty fun hull and a super reliable motor. The FX line from yamaha is a great hull, though not as playful. I've seen mid 2000's FX HO's in the 3-4K range. Super reliable motor as well. I can't recommend Sea Doo as I've only had bad experience with them.

As far as what to look for, not much different than buying a used boat. Always water test as the motor can run great on the hose and awful on the water. Especially on the 2 stroke, do a compression test. The number itself isn't as important as each jug being within 10% of each other.

Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• allzway
    replied
    I have owned a few over the years. I think Kawasaki is the only thing I would consider for a standup, but we enjoyed our Sea Doo's more than our Kawasaki sit down types.

My brother-in-law had a Yamaha and it was less fun than either the Kawasaki's or Sea Doo's we owned.

The Kawasaki was much more reliable. Of course these were owned probably 15 years ago and may have no comparison to newer models today.

Leave a comment:

• 73blue
    replied
    Originally posted by Dd24skater View Post
    My standard answer is always, I would buy a seadoo hull with a yamaha motor, since they don't make that......Seadoo! I own 3.

I agree with the first sentiment, but disagree with the conclusion, particularly when buying used. SeaDoos make a great machine, but Yamahas have always been more bulletproof. I usually compare it to a luxury car vs a Toyota. The luxury car (SeaDoo) rides and handles better but it is harder to maintain and more expensive to fix. The yamaha just runs, no matter what you throw at it. I would feel much more confident buying a used yamaha, particularly when you are talking 10 yrs old or more.

Dont even consider other brands than those 2, imho.

Leave a comment:

• zsqure
    replied
    Our first pair of Sea Doos, ( 30hp 80's models) came in a box full of "some assembly required" parts. A buddy of mine and I rebuilt the rotax engines, pumps and assembled them. We had a blast with those things and eventually traded them of on a pair of new '93 XP models. I had a JS550 from 81, or 82 for 10 years and never touched the engine.

Leave a comment:

• Bartnich
    replied
    Thanks all. I'm located in Utah but they will primarily be used on a lake in northern Wisconsin during the summer. The budget is my sisters so it is what it is, although I will likely end up doing the wrenching which doesn't bother me too much as I've owned many motorcycles both 2 and four stroke over the years. I would also much rather deal with the reliability and ease of a nice four-stroke. Maybe we will luck into a good fall/winter deal on a couple of nice four strokes and I can chip in a bit to make it work..... We will see.

Leave a comment:

• Fullpass
    replied
    Buy a fuel injected 4 stroke machine…2 stoke cost 3 times the money in gas, you can easily spend 100 dollars a day with two machines that are two stoke engines. Fuel injected motors so much easier to maintain and less of a headache. Deals are out there for the 2 machines that are fuel injected and four stroke with low hours.

Leave a comment:

• Rocketboy
    replied
    I maybe a little bad to ask on this since I own a dealership for Sea Doo. If I understand correct you want to spend $6k for the package? If that is the case the spark is out. You are going to end up with a couple old 2 strokes. If you manage to find a 4 stroke don't get an older one with a super charger as you are going to have to get it rebuilt at some point and that is going to run you $1000.

You can find some older stand ups for $2k, a trailer for $1000-1500 and that is going to leave you about $2500 for a 2 seater. For that you are going to end up with a early 2000's 2 stroke.

**** ton of fun to be had, but is it going to come with some work owning units that old.

Where are you located?

Leave a comment:

• Wheelin98TJ
    replied
    Originally posted by Wicker68 View Post
    Go vintage, Go weird. Be the talk of the lake. Always a couple of these floating on Craigslist/EBay and well within your price range.
    I want one of these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kawasaki sport couch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	2401024

Leave a comment:

• Wicker68
    replied
    Go vintage, Go weird. Be the talk of the lake. Always a couple of these floating on Craigslist/EBay and well within your price range.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Maristar210
    replied
    Honestly, a budget of 6k with the trailer will get you older much more unreliable models of any make. I have had a buddies parked at my house on the water and the one worth about three grand is a pile of **** I wouldn’t give you $500 for. I would think about find a pair of two year old ones and up the budget to $15,000. The first time you swim one of these into shore you’ll know what I know.

Leave a comment:

• kscrib
    replied
    We had a 2010 RXT (215hp) for 8 years. It was incredibly reliable and fun to ride. As our son got more experienced (braver) he pushed it harder. But, it was stable and safe when he was learning. It has a top speed in the mid-60s. But top speed is not what you get with HP, what you get is quicker acceleration, which is fun when trying to toss your passenger off.

Don't buy a 2-stroke. I personally feel the reliability of PWC came about when they started making 4 stroke units.

I have seen people on stand-ups, but only a few. And the ones I see, don't seem to have them for more than a season or two. But, that is just my perception, I could be wrong.

We replaced our 2010 RXT (3-seats) with a 2017 RXP (2-seats). My son felt with the three seats that he was more taxi for hauling all the young kids around. He wanted out of that role as he aged. The RXP is 300hp and wicked fast, but is far from a ski you want someone learning on. That said, they come with a key that you can limit top speed with (green key).

I love the IBR function with seadoo. Basically, you squeeze the grip to engage reverse vs pulling a large handle. It is great for docking or pulling up to the boat to chat. I won't get a PWC without IBR.

Leave a comment:

• Mastercraftdave
    replied
    We have always had Seadoo since I was a kid and I wouldn't own anything else. I have a 2012 RXPX that is bulletproof and crazy fast.

To be honest, I barely ride it anymore because its just more of a hassle but my nephew and brother-in-law enjoy it so we keep it for when they are at the river. I have never had an issue with any Seadoo that I have owner.

Up until this RXP-X we got in 2012, we would get a new model each year. This one is going on 7 years old and runs like it did when it was brand new.

Leave a comment:

• Ironhorse
    replied
    I currently own two sea doo's and have had 8 different stand ups. You cant go wrong with a Superjet or SXR, they are really down to preference, however if no one is planning to go crazy and get into tricks, definitely lean towards the SXR. As for sit downs, I have always bought sea doo, with the exception of 1 Yamaha that we owned. The Yamaha was great and very reliable but did not handle or have the ride of the sea doo. Our current machines are the GTR and the RXTX. The GTR 230, is the best value if you are looking at new. Good luck in your search!

Leave a comment:

• h_2_o
    replied
    for standup's I've always been a kawasaki person but that's what i learned on. as for the sit down i don't think you can go wrong with either yamaha or seadoo i would say whichever you feel more comfortable on and has the features you want.

Leave a comment:

• ccelia
    replied
    Just went through that recently and ended up with a new Yamaha. After talking to multiple vendors, rental places, and other owners, we settled on the Yamaha due to the reliability others have experienced compared to the other brands.

One thing to note - Yamahas are painted while Seadoos have gelcoat (not sure if that is true for all years, but it was on the 2019 models). The Yamaha scratches very easily. This would've been nice to know when shopping as it might have swayed my decision towards Seadoo.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎