X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WakePowell
    MC Fanatic
    • Oct 2004

Since this is a thread dedicated to wakeboarding I would like to share our best recent purchase, BB Talkin. This device allows the rider and person/people in the boat to communicate clearly. We have several kids in our group of friends that have become die hard wakeboarder's this summer and being able to talk with them as they progress through new tricks has been invaluable.
    2005 X45
    2009 X45
    2018 X46
    2022 XStar-S

Comment

• sp00ky
      MC Devotee
      • Jul 2011

I am 215 and 6'1" and I have the Murray 150 as well. I cam from a Byerly 141 and its made a huge difference and got 2 of my 3 inverts back (I'm 48 and 23 years of riding has taken a toll.

It is frustrating to see the surfers at dawn patrol not many wakeboarders around and no one to push me anymore.

Originally posted by bcd View Post
      I got the 150 Murray a couple seasons ago when my old ronix one bit the dust. It was half the price of the new ronix. I really like it. I'm 6'1" and 210 pounds, so I like the big board. It took a little getting used to the continuous rocker, but it made me work on putting more weight on my front foot where before I was getting by with bad form with the 3 stage.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      2010 X-15
      SOLD 1994 205
      2021 Nissan Titan
      2011 Pathfinder
      2016 Ford Flex
      3 kids, a wife, and a boat dog
      1 kid in the Army
      1 kid college grad
      1 left..

Comment

• tmacx2
        TT Enthusiast
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by WakePowell View Post
        Since this is a thread dedicated to wakeboarding I would like to share our best recent purchase, BB Talkin. This device allows the rider and person/people in the boat to communicate clearly. We have several kids in our group of friends that have become die hard wakeboarder's this summer and being able to talk with them as they progress through new tricks has been invaluable.

+1. I've gotten to use this a couple of times. Works really well. We had a third unit plugged into the boats auxiliary jack and everyone in the boat could hear the rider and instructor over the boat speakers.

Comment

• Cyoder1
          TT Enthusiast
          • Apr 2015

Great thread! I have a friends old board somewhere in the shed or garage that I'll try to find and post a pic. It's an antique with the old "sandal-looking" bindings.

I was a 3-event competitor as a kid and spent tons of time on the water. Pretty decent slalom and trick skier and could ride over the jump. Took a couple decade hiatus from water sports. Back into it for 5 years now. Kids wakeboard a bit and love surfing. I am enjoying both wakeboarding and surfing but tend to lean towards wakeboarding. Currently riding a 2016 Ronix One. Like the board. Far more board than my skills deserve.

Perhaps someone can provide some tips? I'm 51 and my only goal is wake to wake with maybe a grab or little poke. Don't aspire for inverts or anything crazy. I need to be able to walk and talk for my job so I'd rather be a bit cautious. I'm riding at 55' and 20 mph behind my Xstar. Heel side is ok for clearing both wakes and even landing in the flat. Toe side I'm casing the wake darn near every time. I'm basically a self-taught wakeboarder. No one to ride with or push me. I'm to the point of thinking I just need to grow a set and crash a bunch to get this toe side down and get some good pop.

Any tips, suggestions, or just confirming that I need to man up and go for it would be appreciated!

Chris

Comment

• maniacmikes
            MC Devotee
            • May 2014

Originally posted by Cyoder1 View Post
            Great thread! I have a friends old board somewhere in the shed or garage that I'll try to find and post a pic. It's an antique with the old "sandal-looking" bindings.

I was a 3-event competitor as a kid and spent tons of time on the water. Pretty decent slalom and trick skier and could ride over the jump. Took a couple decade hiatus from water sports. Back into it for 5 years now. Kids wakeboard a bit and love surfing. I am enjoying both wakeboarding and surfing but tend to lean towards wakeboarding. Currently riding a 2016 Ronix One. Like the board. Far more board than my skills deserve.

Perhaps someone can provide some tips? I'm 51 and my only goal is wake to wake with maybe a grab or little poke. Don't aspire for inverts or anything crazy. I need to be able to walk and talk for my job so I'd rather be a bit cautious. I'm riding at 55' and 20 mph behind my Xstar. Heel side is ok for clearing both wakes and even landing in the flat. Toe side I'm casing the wake darn near every time. I'm basically a self-taught wakeboarder. No one to ride with or push me. I'm to the point of thinking I just need to grow a set and crash a bunch to get this toe side down and get some good pop.

Any tips, suggestions, or just confirming that I need to man up and go for it would be appreciated!

Chris

A good tip I was given was to do an exaggerated progressive edge toe side. Really take it easy on the first part of your cut, but then cut hard as hell right before the wake. This forces you to keep line tension to get the pop you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            The question is not whether life exists after death, but whether you were alive before death - Osho

Comment

• bcd
              MC Devotee
              • Jul 2011

You really want to feel the tension in your back shoulder (right shoulder for left foot forward). Your arm should almost be an extension of the rope. Lean against the rope and feel the pull in your shoulder. Make sure you cut all the way through the wake, stand tall, but stay back, then keep the handle low and at your front hip to keep the rope tension pulling you up. I have a tendency to let go with my back hand and let my front arm out, which releases the tension and reduces your pop.

Comment

• bcd
                MC Devotee
                • Jul 2011

Also whenever you are cutting out on your toe side edge to do a heel side jump, make sure you're practicing good form. It helps build muscle memory for toe side hits. Don't just lean forward and slowly make your way out.

Comment

• WakePowell
                  MC Fanatic
                  • Oct 2004

All very good tips on toeside jumps. Here are a few more details to add:
                  - Rope tension is needed and developed by a progressive edge that is held off of the top of the wake
                  - Ensure that you are leaning against the rope. Don't lean toward the wake as you edge up it. This will throw you off axis
                  - Don't look at the boat look across the wake toward shore. Too often people open their chest towards the boat and lose line tension
                  - Land on your toe edge and keep cutting away from the wake

It is not as difficult as it sounds. But as I read this and the other tips in like describing a golf swing....If you can post pictures or a short video and I am sure folks can help
                  2005 X45
                  2009 X45
                  2018 X46
                  2022 XStar-S

Comment

• tmacx2
                    TT Enthusiast
                    • Sep 2011

Checkout learnwake on youtube. They take jumps, tricks, etc. and break them all down for you. There are also drills demonstrated that will get you in the proper position. It'll help save you from just going for it and having some bad crashes.

This drill teaches you how to gain better leverage on your toeside edge. Better leverage equals a stronger edging position, which equals bigger airs.

This video explains how to set up for Toeside Wake Jumps and examines two common mistakes that might occur during the learning process.

Comment

• sp00ky
                      MC Devotee
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by joniron1 View Post
                      How about these relics. First is a Wake Tech Flight 69 , originally had sandal-ish strap type bindings. It had a crazy rippled area in the middle of the bottom to soften landings. I think it was one of the first wakeboards. I saw it, thought it looked fun and bought it sometime around 1991. We rode this board hundreds of miles mostly behind flat boats, sometimes jet skis. Next is O’Brien Evil Twin, I believe this was the first twin tip symmetrical board. I probably rode thousands of miles on this behind a 19’ inboard/outboard with home made 6’ pylon, 8-10 bags of sand in ski locker and under seats and as many ice chests as we could find and fill with water. It was redneck but pretty reliable, threw a decent wake, and lots of fun. Blew out my ACL on this setup! I’m almost 50 now and ride a Byerly Assault behind a pro star 190. Mostly surface surfy kinda riding these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      wow what a throwback! Here is my Neptune GTO I cracked on a back roll in 2000
                      Attached Files
                      2010 X-15
                      SOLD 1994 205
                      2021 Nissan Titan
                      2011 Pathfinder
                      2016 Ford Flex
                      3 kids, a wife, and a boat dog
                      1 kid in the Army
                      1 kid college grad
                      1 left..

Comment

• Cyoder1
                        TT Enthusiast
                        • Apr 2015

Thanks for the tips everyone! I recognize one of the things I'm doing wrong is opening my shoulders to the boat. When I land it's as if the board slides out from under me and I fall on my butt.

I'll keep trying!

Chris

Comment

• tmacx2
                          TT Enthusiast
                          • Sep 2011

Was thinking I was going to get another board with a continuous rocker but ended up getting a Ronix One. Getting used to a little different feel. Breaks loose easy but obviously, not as easy as a continuous rocker. I'm liking it so far. It came with 0.8" fins. I just switched to 0.6" fins but haven't had a chance to try them yet. Bindings are super comfortable.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• tmacx2
                            TT Enthusiast
                            • Sep 2011

This new 2019 Ronix District popped up on EVO at a cheap price so I bought it as a guest board. My nephew rides one. He has the 1" fins. We put on some .8" fins on it and I really liked it. It was too loose for him. I already switched this one out to .8's and hope to try it out in the next few days. It's a hybrid rocker and I was impressed with it.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Ironhorse
                              MC Devotee
                              • Apr 2010

Bench

My days on a wakeboard have passed long ago, but I finally found a use for one of my old boards. This will be moved to the dock for additional seating.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Wheelin98TJ
                                MC Devotee
                                • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Ironhorse View Post
                                My days on a wakeboard have passed long ago, but I finally found a use for one of my old boards. This will be moved to the dock for additional seating.
                                That's awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X