Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cancun

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Cozumel AND Isla Mujeres, never, never, the hotel zone. If you want crowded and Americanized you would be better to stay in the USA. Playa Del Carmen also seemed to be overran also. The islands are the best, stay away from the inclusives, plenty of local places to stay, and eat. Go to the islands, find a hotel, negotiate a rate, rent a scooter for the length of your stay, and have a great time. All the great beaches on the islands are on the calm lee side. The hotel zone beaches are on the Waves side. Makes a big difference.


    Originally posted by slalomjunkie View Post
    I have been to Cancun 3x over the years… I stayed at the Krystal on the far north end, Beach Palace and Moon Palace. Last trip there was around 1999. Three trips there was two trips too many… I’ll never go back… I can stay home to be in a HUGE LOUD POLLUTED city. Cancun is exactly that. Plus, I hate all inclusive food and I can’t stress how much – so much so I go hungry because buffets make me want to puke… You could sprinkle AI food with bacon or chocolate syrup and I would still hate it. Cancun has over the last few years had cartel killings and violence spill over into the resort/tourist areas, so buyer beware.

    1. I would NOT recommend the Moon Palace – the beach and water is FULL of seaweed constantly and the water is as murky as your local ski lake…

    2. Beach Palace was not relaxing, and too spring breaky and WT for my blood… Another thing, the surf in the main hotel zone is very rough, and not enjoyable

    3. Krystal hotel on the far north… They had it all, not a bad place to stay (back then, idk about now). But if you were looking for a hotel a little detatched from the city buzz and calm beautiful beaches, that north shore is where I’d direct you.

    That being said, the ONLY place I would vacation in Mexico today is Cozumel. It’s safe, the restaurants are incredible and the islanders are the friendliest on earth. There is a reason I have been there almost 20x over the last 30 years and going back in June 2021.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by ttu View Post
      Aric, not to threadjack but are you wearing a speedo?

      My ex wife and kids go down there twice a year. have not been but looks nice.
      Haha. They’re Nike compression shorts. You’re welcome lol
      Aric


      LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
      Register Here

      2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
      2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
      For Sale:
      2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

      Comment


      • #18
        we did an "adventure experience" years ago. We went to the ruins in Tulum from Cancun and included, ziplining, canoeing in an open sink hole, and rapelling down into a closed sink hole and swimming around in it. Was a great experience and a lot of fun!

        Comment


        • #19
          The only time I have been we took out those jet ski looking things with a 25hp motor on the back and almost sunk it!!! Could have been a bad trip but it was fun.
          2017 XT23

          2021 Lone Star Master Bash - June 11-13 - Lake Travis, TX
          Instagram: @lonestarmasterbash

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Wakerider16 View Post
            we did an "adventure experience" years ago. We went to the ruins in Tulum from Cancun and included, ziplining, canoeing in an open sink hole, and rapelling down into a closed sink hole and swimming around in it. Was a great experience and a lot of fun!
            I think I’m gonna stay far away from any sinkholes!
            2012 MasterCraft X15 5.7L
            2021 Lone Star Master Bash - June 11-13 - Lake Travis, TX
            Instagram: @lonestarmasterbash

            Originally posted by uplandbird
            Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by MC25 View Post
              Haha. They’re Nike compression shorts. You’re welcome lol
              Looks completely compressed

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Maristar210 View Post
                Looks completely compressed
                2012 MasterCraft X15 5.7L
                2021 Lone Star Master Bash - June 11-13 - Lake Travis, TX
                Instagram: @lonestarmasterbash

                Originally posted by uplandbird
                Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Aric,

                  That girl is waaaaay too good looking for your ***.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Tragedy that nobody has mentioned Holbox yet.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by slalomjunkie View Post
                      I have been to Cancun 3x over the years… I stayed at the Krystal on the far north end, Beach Palace and Moon Palace. Last trip there was around 1999. Three trips there was two trips too many… I’ll never go back… I can stay home to be in a HUGE LOUD POLLUTED city. Cancun is exactly that. Plus, I hate all inclusive food and I can’t stress how much – so much so I go hungry because buffets make me want to puke… You could sprinkle AI food with bacon or chocolate syrup and I would still hate it. Cancun has over the last few years had cartel killings and violence spill over into the resort/tourist areas, so buyer beware.

                      1. I would NOT recommend the Moon Palace – the beach and water is FULL of seaweed constantly and the water is as murky as your local ski lake…

                      2. Beach Palace was not relaxing, and too spring breaky and WT for my blood… Another thing, the surf in the main hotel zone is very rough, and not enjoyable

                      3. Krystal hotel on the far north… They had it all, not a bad place to stay (back then, idk about now). But if you were looking for a hotel a little detatched from the city buzz and calm beautiful beaches, that north shore is where I’d direct you.

                      That being said, the ONLY place I would vacation in Mexico today is Cozumel. It’s safe, the restaurants are incredible and the islanders are the friendliest on earth. There is a reason I have been there almost 20x over the last 30 years and going back in June 2021.
                      You have my interest in Cozumel. Went to Riviera Maya, Hard Rock hotel in 2015. Was not a fan. The breakfast was the only thing that was decent. Beer was flat, drinks were watered down, trip down from Cancun was.... "Interesting"...... with the troops patrolling along the highway.

                      Share cozumel favortites if you would please?

                      Thanks

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Loewen View Post
                        Tragedy that nobody has mentioned Holbox yet.
                        Nothi8ng wrong with it, but the only serious attraction to Holbox is the whalesharks.

                        Originally posted by roadster02 View Post
                        Cozumel AND Isla Mujeres, never, never, the hotel zone. If you want crowded and Americanized you would be better to stay in the USA. Playa Del Carmen also seemed to be overran also. The islands are the best, stay away from the inclusives, plenty of local places to stay, and eat. Go to the islands, find a hotel, negotiate a rate, rent a scooter for the length of your stay, and have a great time. All the great beaches on the islands are on the calm lee side. The hotel zone beaches are on the Waves side. Makes a big difference.
                        Cozumel is dead after the cruisers leave between 1700 and 1900. The hotel zone is OK. I prefer a condo midway between downtown and the southern zone. I can't stress it enough - DO NOT rent a scooter in Cozumel - I have seen way too many fatality / serious injury accidents... Jeep, Bug, econobox, ok, NEVER a scooter - it's not 1990 anymore.

                        Last thing on vehicle rentals - I don't care what your credit card or AAA says they cover insurancewise - buy the FULL coverage unless you have CASH money to bail yourself out with you. It's done by reimbursement.
                        The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          SlalomJunkie, would you like Cozumel if the diving sucked there? No offense in any way, but seems the folks that talk it up the most are the divers. It may be magnificent otherwise as well, but that's just my observation. I'll also add that sargassum isn't unique to Moon Palace. It's bad most of the time from Isla all the way down to Belize. Moon Palace is a great AI resort if AI's are your thing.

                          We have done numerous all inclusive resorts at an earlier stage in life, but the switch was flipped when we looked at Mexico as a search for "culture". Will never do AI again and we opt for small boutique hotels, or VRBO's and independently explore. If you wanna see hot gringo chicks in bikinis, go to Cancun, or Cabo and stay at an AI. I will neither judge, nor blame ya if that's what you are searching for in a vacation. If you want to see Mexico, get off the beaten path. If we ever do Cancun again, I'd likely go Tulum or even farther south, or Holbox to the west. Cancun itself is a tourist trap (full of hot chicks in bikinis, I might add).

                          We're headed back to the Pacific side again in a couple months and far away from the AI's.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by slalomjunkie View Post
                            Nothi8ng wrong with it, but the only serious attraction to Holbox is the whalesharks.



                            Cozumel is dead after the cruisers leave between 1700 and 1900. The hotel zone is OK. I prefer a condo midway between downtown and the southern zone. I can't stress it enough - DO NOT rent a scooter in Cozumel - I have seen way too many fatality / serious injury accidents... Jeep, Bug, econobox, ok, NEVER a scooter - it's not 1990 anymore.

                            Last thing on vehicle rentals - I don't care what your credit card or AAA says they cover insurancewise - buy the FULL coverage unless you have CASH money to bail yourself out with you. It's done by reimbursement.


                            This is weird. Sure you could formulate an opinion on how things were 21 years ago..... but how would you even know now? Lol
                            Aric


                            LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                            Register Here

                            2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                            2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                            For Sale:
                            2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by slalomjunkie View Post
                              Nothi8ng wrong with it, but the only serious attraction to Holbox is the whalesharks.



                              Cozumel is dead after the cruisers leave between 1700 and 1900. The hotel zone is OK. I prefer a condo midway between downtown and the southern zone. I can't stress it enough - DO NOT rent a scooter in Cozumel - I have seen way too many fatality / serious injury accidents... Jeep, Bug, econobox, ok, NEVER a scooter - it's not 1990 anymore.

                              Last thing on vehicle rentals - I don't care what your credit card or AAA says they cover insurancewise - buy the FULL coverage unless you have CASH money to bail yourself out with you. It's done by reimbursement.
                              Baloney, Scooters no problem. Pay attention to your driving.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by MC25 View Post
                                Haha. They’re Nike compression shorts. You’re welcome lol

                                You sure bro?


                                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X