TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/index.php)
-   Appearance (http://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Oxidation options other than wet sanding. (http://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/showthread.php?t=102576)

skongolf 08-26-2019 11:31 AM

Oxidation options other than wet sanding.

I have a 2001 MC X30 that has been sitting for a while and of course has Oxidized pretty bad. I wet sanded it and waxed it about 6 years ago and really don't want to wet sand it again as I know if you do it too much the gel coat can be compromised. Just curious if there are any products other than Meguires Marine wax for heavy oxidation as I have used that in the past and wondered if there was anything new out. I am just trying to sell the boat so it does not need to have a showroom finish.
Thanks

Maxirat427 08-26-2019 04:47 PM

Anything that cuts away the oxidation will be a heavy abrasive. It doesn’t matter if it’s wet sanding or a highly abrasive compound. Either way you are removing the same amount of material to get back to clean gelcoat. If you have that much oxidation to remove you can spend all day in one spot with a paste abrasive or a few seconds in one spot with wet sand to get to the same depth. The same amount of material is removed either way. Use the highest grit wet sandpaper that works 1500-2000. Then come back with a light abrasive paste and a random orbital buffer to finish it off.

2RLAKE 08-26-2019 07:47 PM

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...dation+removal

search oxidation removal and there a many threads on various ways to polish and make your boat shine

I think this is the most comprehensive thread and it is what I used on my 1993 190

bturner2 08-26-2019 08:12 PM

I'm currently doing a lot of gel coat correction on the "new to me" 2016 Sport Nautique. Lucky for me it's a smaller boat this go around.

You don't have to go stupid to get results which is where I see a lot of guys go on sanding. Always start as light as possible and take multiple passes to reduce the amount of material you're taking off. You'd be surprised what you can correct with a three step process of 1000, 1500 and 2000 working in 2x2 panels in a cross hatch pattern. About 20 minutes of sanding then another 15 with 2 steps of compounding will make nearly any surfaces look like new. You don't have to do the whole boat like this. focus where its needed and reduce the steps where you can to achieve the desired results.

The big mistake I see people make is jumping in with 600 and tearing through the gel coat. I never start with anything more than 1000 and if I do end up in 600 I'm super careful and aware that my next visit made be at the shop for repair work.

2RLAKE 08-26-2019 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bturner2 (Post 1498181)
I'm currently doing a lot of gel coat correction on the "new to me" 2016 Sport Nautique. Lucky for me it's a smaller boat this go around.

You don't have to go stupid to get results which is where I see a lot of guys go on sanding. Always start as light as possible and take multiple passes to reduce the amount of material you're taking off. You'd be surprised what you can correct with a three step process of 1000, 1500 and 2000 working in 2x2 panels in a cross hatch pattern. About 20 minutes of sanding then another 15 with 2 steps of compounding will make nearly any surfaces look like new. You don't have to do the whole boat like this. focus where its needed and reduce the steps where you can to achieve the desired results.

The big mistake I see people make is jumping in with 600 and tearing through the gel coat. I never start with anything more than 1000 and if I do end up in 600 I'm super careful and aware that my next visit made be at the shop for repair work.

agree ... you can get a lot of shine from polishing compound ... wet sanding is a last resort type thing

skongolf 08-26-2019 11:51 PM

Any recommend polishing compounds to try first?

bturner2 08-27-2019 06:06 AM

I was absolutely stunned by the results I'm getting from 3M's 3 step process compounding kit....

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Perfect-Bu...gateway&sr=8-6

I actually got this as a birthday gift in April and was originally going to use it only for my Carmaro. I did the Camaro and was so impressed I decided to give it try on the new boat. The boat is white, red and black with the black giving me the most heart ache. The black is requiring the full 3 step sanding and 3 step compounding process due not only to the color but also because of the locations, it's turning out absolutely like glass. I'd put it up to a new boat any day.

The rest of the colors are in areas that get less light and wear/tear being on the deck and sides and I've gotten away with less sanding in the bad areas and only 2 step compounding in the light areas. The results none the less are still impressive. With all this in mind I've found that I'm tearing through the stage 1 as I'm using it on everything, using about half that with stage 2 and about half that again with stage 3. I can see myself buying more stage 1 at some time but I believe unless I buy another flip boat I'll have plenty of stages 2 and 3 for years to come.

The stuff isn't cheap but I've used a lot of compounds and products over the years and have never had these results.

bturner2 08-27-2019 06:18 AM

One other thing to note is that I'm doing all this with foam pads and a Porter Cable 7424 random orbital buffer. I know a lot of guys will say you need to use a rotary buffer (which I also own and having worked in body shop know how to use) but that's absolutely not true. With the right pad set....

https://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-ccs-pack1.html

some time and patience you can get outstanding results and (again) limit the chances of removing too much material unnecessarily. Will it take longer, yep probably but you'll also build technique during the process and won't burn thought the first place you start working.

slalomjunkie 08-27-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bturner2 (Post 1498222)
I was absolutely stunned by the results I'm getting from 3M's 3 step process compounding kit....

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Perfect-Bu...gateway&sr=8-6

^^Thank you.

With 2019 season over and 2020 already started, I know its only a mattter of time before the boat is off the lift, onto a trailer and I have alot of detailing left to do before hunting season starts. It's really hard to do this on a lift.

paintpollz 08-27-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bturner2 (Post 1498224)
One other thing to note is that I'm doing all this with foam pads and a Porter Cable 7424 random orbital buffer. I know a lot of guys will say you need to use a rotary buffer (which I also own and having worked in body shop know how to use) but that's absolutely not true. With the right pad set....

I was going to call you out before you said you worked in a body shop!

I have the 7424 and the 3 step 3M kit and it's been a complete waste of money so far (and it's probably operator error). The 7424 does my car fine with the Amazon pads and 3 step, but it does next to nothing on the boat. Nothing but disappointing on the boat.

What pads are you using with the 7424? I'd love to not buy a rotary since I don't do a lot of polishing, but I'm damn close to giving it a shot.