• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kiteklan
    TT Enthusiast
    • Dec 2009

1997 Complete Renovation of Prostar 190 with Steyr 236 Diesel Engine

Hello,I will post my renovation experince under this threat.
    I am renovating a mastercraft prostar 190 1997 model.
    Started with a mistreated hull and without an engine.
    I had bought a steyr 236 HP diesel engine with 4200RPM and 2:1 ZF 45 transmission.
    Engine weighs 380kg with the transmission.

We built the treyler on our own with Knott axels/parts and I and U profiles.

Please tell me some hints or your opinions.

AFTER SANDPAPER AND POLISH

• kiteklan
    TT Enthusiast
    • Dec 2009

Diesel Engine and some accessories

4200 RPM 236 Horse Power Steyr 236 Engine 380 kg with the transmission
    I have one propeller right now with a diameter 36cm but I guess it will not be enough,my plan is to lunch the boat with this propeller and get the draft and waterline with the engine,I have no idea about its draft and waterline and the total weight that is why ordering a propeller will not be wise without a certain measurement.

I about the trailer ,rims are from one of my old car (1989 Probe GT),I will try to get it lower and adjust the axels to the center of weight when I will finish the boat.
    It is not easy to this work in Turkey since original parts are not easy to find and expensive.

Platform after some work

Interior Condition Chaos
    Last edited by kiteklan; 12-30-2009, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• kiteklan
      TT Enthusiast
      • Dec 2009

Insturment Panel

Instrument Panel,

Original panel was in very bad condition ,we had covered it Fiberglass and make new holes for guages.

I was thinking to use Volkswagen Marine 225 V6 but it was above my budget.Steyr 236 is a light weight and powerfull engine but its dimensions are bigger then orginal mastercraft engines.

Does anyone has an idea how much an orignal mastercraft engine weighs(total weight with transmission? and RPM ,Transmission ratio?

There are more pictures on the my website
      Last edited by kiteklan; 12-30-2009, 10:42 AM.

Comment

• DemolitionMan
        MC Devotee
        • Jul 2004

Looking Good.
        Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi

Comment

• thatsmrmastercraft
          MC Master Poster
          • Sep 2008

I am really interested in how that diesel performs in the boat.

Definitely making progress. Keep up the good work!
          CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
          sigpic

CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
          REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
          REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
          Email - [email protected]

Comment

• kiteklan
            TT Enthusiast
            • Dec 2009

Name Of The Boat

Today we name the boat:
            Attached Files

Comment

• kiteklan
              TT Enthusiast
              • Dec 2009

thanks ,I am trying to finish it in 2 weeks.

Comment

• rholmes
                TT Enthusiast
                • Sep 2007

The motor should weigh 227-272 kilograms fully dressed. A transmission was likely originally a hurth 1:1 and would have weighed probably in the neighborhood of 68 kilos. Operating RPM range would have been about 600rpm to a max of 4600-5000rpm. These are just rough figures, nothing exact. maybe someone else can help out with exact numbers.
                If it's a penny for your thoughts & you give me your two cents, what happens to the other penny? Taxes, the democrats tax everything!!

1990 Maristar 210... Sold

In the market though...

Comment

• jasonba1
                  MC Fanatic
                  • Jun 2008

awesome project

Comment

• JLeuck64
                    MC Fanatic
                    • Jun 2005

Just a guess... but I think you will be disappointed with the boats performance if you go to all the trouble of making that engine combination fit. It looks like it is only a four cylinder engine in the photo.

Originally posted by kiteklan View Post
                    4200 RPM 236 Horse Power Steyr 236 Engine 380 kg with the transmission
                    I have one propeller right now with a diameter 36cm but I guess it will not be enough,my plan is to lunch the boat with this propeller and get the draft and waterline with the engine,I have no idea about its draft and waterline and the total weight that is why ordering a propeller will not be wise without a certain measurement.

I about the trailer ,rims are from one of my old car (1989 Probe GT),I will try to get it lower and adjust the axels to the center of weight when I will finish the boat.
                    It is not easy to this work in Turkey since original parts are not easy to find and expensive.

Platform after some work

Interior Condition Chaos
                    http://www.mastercraft.com/photopost...er=2572&sort=1
                    Need LT-1 parts?
                    OIL FILTER: Factory installed is a Penzoil P23, Afta market brands, AC Delco PF-454 and a Fram PH-13 or PH-30 will work.
                    SPARK PLUGS: AC Delco MR43LTS (gapped to .040")
                    FUEL FILTERS: AC Delco 25171391 (pump inlet side)
                    89058397 (pump outlet side)
                    IGNITION WIRES: Call Inboard Online @ (877) 327-7175 and order part numbers 556010A (odd bank) and 556010B (even bank)

Comment

• Jerseydave
                      TT Hero
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by JLeuck64 View Post
                      Just a guess... but I think you will be disappointed with the boats performance if you go to all the trouble of making that engine combination fit. It looks like it is only a four cylinder engine in the photo.
                      I disagree to some extent.......diesels do take longer to "spool up" so the 0-36 mph time will suffer, but it should "hold" speed rather well (good for slalom), get 2-3 times the fuel economy of a gas V-8 and last much longer too. It would be a great engine choice in a wakeboard boat (heavy, ballast). I know diesel is the way to go for alot of reasons in europe.

Did you consider a 5.7 liter V-8 powered by propane? I know that's a good combo in europe as well.

BTW, that gelcoat is looking good! 2-week project? That's awesome! Looking forward to the pics as things progress.

Carpe Diem!
                      I was njskier on here.

Comment

• thatsmrmastercraft
                        MC Master Poster
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by njskier View Post
                        I disagree to some extent.......diesels do take longer to "spool up" so the 0-36 mph time will suffer, but it should "hold" speed rather well (good for slalom), get 2-3 times the fuel economy of a gas V-8 and last much longer too. It would be a great engine choice in a wakeboard boat (heavy, ballast). I know diesel is the way to go for alot of reasons in europe.
                        Thats also a rather high RPM diesel, so perhaps the spool up time will be lessened somewhat.

On the positive side, diesels have tremendous low end torque so that may have some hole shot assistance.
                        CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
                        sigpic

CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
                        REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
                        REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
                        Email - [email protected]

Comment

• kiteklan
                          TT Enthusiast
                          • Dec 2009

About Diesel engine Steyr 236

Originally posted by JLeuck64 View Post
                          Can't say anything before finding the exaxt prop and testing it in the sea
                          Transmission ratio is 2:1 which is not good that is I know but I will try to find a big prop with a high pitch.Other then that the engine is a 6 cylinder 3.2 liter gives max 440 Nm Tork at 3300 Rpm.
                          I atttached the engine data in Pdf.

440 NM = 324.48 Lb/Ft is what this engine produces.

RTP engine 310 HP 360 ft.lb. (488NM)
                          MCX engine 350 HP 380 ft.lb.(515NM)
                          VW TDI 225HP 335 lb (454NM)
                          1 foot-pound is closely equivalent to:1.3558179483314 newton meters

I think in respect to fuel economy and performance ,overall we will get a 4/5.

Thanks for the comments.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by kiteklan; 12-31-2009, 03:55 AM.

Comment

• kiteklan
                            TT Enthusiast
                            • Dec 2009

Why Diesel Engine

Originally posted by njskier View Post

Did you consider a 5.7 liter V-8 powered by propane? I know that's a good combo in europe as well.

BTW, that gelcoat is looking good! 2-week project? That's awesome! Looking forward to the pics as things progress.

Carpe Diem!
                            Nj,It took about 2 months to find this engine,those engines are not still show up in the 2nd hand market,this engine was at 600hr and year 2002 that is why we chose it.
                            For the progress check the pictures .

Name Stickers were for registration,we will work on something look nice with decals .
                            Attached Files

Comment

• kiteklan
                              TT Enthusiast
                              • Dec 2009

Inmar is using the same engine with 256HP,mine is 236.
                              Last edited by kiteklan; 12-31-2009, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X