TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/index.php)
-   Upholstery (http://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Need some advice and looking for suggestions on Vinyl restoration (http://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/showthread.php?t=108309)

brucemac 06-23-2021 03:37 PM

Need some advice and looking for suggestions on Vinyl restoration

We've been talking about redoing our vinyl for the past couple years, had a guy lined up with good references and recommendations to do it last September and then he flaked out. From what I heard, I dodged a bullet.

Now we're kicking around another recent referral who's been in business for roughly 30 years. Apparently does decent work, but is not necessarily cheap. You get what you pay for (hopefully), right?

At any rate, this seasons obviously out, but I'm considering taking it to this shop in September before the mad canvas & cover rush begins.

I was told I could estimate roughly $400 per seat sight unseen. Some will be more, some will be less, but that's a decent ballpark, I was told. Pricing includes all labor, but not necessarily any foam or structure work.

It's a significant chunk of money, but my boat, with exception of the carpet and seat bases is otherwise in what I would consider terrific shape.

So here are my questions, would you do the bare minimum and only do all seat bases and rear hatches, or would you bite the bullet and just do the whole job including seat backs, rear bench back, captains chair, etc.?

Lastly, if you were me and given that this is IMO a fairly classic old boat, would you stick with as close to the original design and layout as factory, or would you look to update it with more modern textured vinyl and change it up a bit? I would not be disappointed one bit if I replaced it as is, or as closely to as is as possible, but fear updating it to something more current could look like I'm trying too hard (if that makes sense), our out of place.

Really don't have any plans to sell anytime soon, especially in this market, so at the end of the day, it's me and my family that has to be happy and live with it.

Appreciate any advice or suggestions as I consider which path to take. TIA

Skyskiguy 06-23-2021 03:56 PM

Do it all - relatively small incremental cost. Iím a guy who likes to keep things looking pretty stock so thatís the route Iíd go - but do what you like!

osmonet 06-23-2021 05:30 PM

Here are my thoughts;
* I would do the whole boat. You will have matching issues if you try to section it out
* Consider upgrading the vinyl to one of the newer blends (Carbon fiber style or whatever). Seems like the base materials can be subject to pink bacteria. Do some searching on this
* Plan for $4-$6K
* Some shops (Viper, mastercraft set skins) will work with you remotely and ship.
https://www.boatinteriorsdesigns.com...oat-seat-skins
* I use C&E in Eagan MN and have been very happy with their work, but I'm local.
https://www.candeupholstery.com/
* if you're in a cold climate, consider using this chance to add heated seats

brucemac 06-23-2021 07:02 PM

Appreciate the replies.

Anybody know any close matches to original 03 stock vinyl colors, or what manufacturers I could look at online for samples? Been looking at Spradling so far, any others?

Majority of my boat's interior is that super light gray (almost off white) they used in 02-04 I believe, Then has the slightly darker gray accents connected with piping on the front edges of the seat bases. There's a few small black panels mixed throughout on seat backs and the center rear hatch.

If I'm going to spend this much money, I want to do my due diligence on picking the right vinyl. Little daunting at this point. Last thing I want to do is walk in to drop it off and make some sort of rushed decision and be completely disappointed with the end result.

curver900 06-25-2021 08:28 AM

theupholsteryworkshop.net

these guys have had good reviews.

You can send them the skins and have them make new ones.. then have them installed or install it yourself... if your close to them drop it off....

There are lots and lots of ideas out there and different vinyls to get.. even the cool touch ones... I would spend most of my days figuring out what i wanted... if you are keeping the boat for another 10 years then get the best stuff you want to afford IMO...

I'm old school too, but would not be apposed to adding some carbon fiber look to it.. there are some pretty good pics if you search in here...

brucemac 07-08-2021 02:18 PM

So I have an appointment scheduled for 9/16 with Seams Right in Fall City, WA.

Spoke with the owner and was disappointed to learn that they will not reproduce the vinyl embroidery. It's not a deal breaker for me, but certainly disappointing. At a minimum, I'd like to have the MasterCraft logo on the rear bench seat replicated.

He said he can give me the vinyl and I can take it have it done on my own and bring it back, but he warned me that it adds time (obviously) and that he's seen a few attempts recently fail; including torn vinyl, mistakes with positioning, etc.

Anybody here in Western Washington know where I might be able to have this done? Also, is it possible to get templates? MC shield log?

Last question, anybody familiar with Mobern Shock vinyl? It is a brand that Seam's Right has used quite a bit recently and looks to be a near identical product to Spradling's Carbon Fiber product. Owner mentioned it when I asked if he's done any of the carbon fiber textured vinyl's recently.

WTRSK1R 08-08-2021 08:32 AM

Second Vote for Upholstery Workshop

7 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by curver900 (Post 1574671)
theupholsteryworkshop.net

these guys have had good reviews.

You can send them the skins and have them make new ones.. then have them installed or install it yourself... if your close to them drop it off....

I had good results with Upholstery Workshop this spring. I did all the work of removing and reinstalling the skins myself, and only replaced the Drivers seat, the Observer seat, and the Rear Bench. It was around your $400 per seat cost. I paid about 1400 including the walk through seat back, the drivers seat base and have the "197" and "MasterCraft" embroidery on the rear seat. The only consideration I had to make was the semi-perforated vinyl was no longer available. Doug suggested I just go with solid "off gray" that he had available and I think it turned out great. It matched the existing vinyl almost perfectly and personally I am good with only replacing the cracked vinyl.
The drivers seat had both Red and Silver semi perforated vinyl and again, Doug suggested the MasterCraft hammered vinyl and although it no longer matches the motor cover vinyl, I am totally fine with having the mismatch. The motor box was recovered a few years ago and I just did not feel like throwing money away.
I did this in the off season and I think they took about a month longer than the original 6 week estimate, but I was in no hurry so I did not push.

I have attached before and after photos to show where the semi-perforated silver was replaced with the off white. I have also added one showing the rear seat bottom in the sundeck position to show how closely it matches the trunk deck lids. This is a great color match to the original vinyl.

97 Sammy 190 08-08-2021 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucemac (Post 1576234)
was disappointed to learn that they will not reproduce the vinyl embroidery. It's not a deal breaker for me, but certainly disappointing. At a minimum, I'd like to have the MasterCraft logo on the rear bench seat replicated.

Here is a second vote for C & E upholstery in Eagan, MN. They redid my Ď97 and matched original colors and did the embroidery for Sammy Duvallís signature on my rear bench. Looks exactly like the original. If need be, maybe you could mail them the vinyl from your upholstery place and have them just do the embroidery. They know what they are doing with MasterCraft.

brucemac 08-12-2021 11:54 AM

Meeting with the vinyl shop this afternoon to pick out vinyl, check availability and get a consult.

I'm set on Spradling, have samples, but struggling with whether or not to do the entire interior in carbon fiber, or mix it up and use two textures; carbon fiber for the accents and something for the base that closely matches the smoother subtle leather grain for the base color, which was that super light gray/white from 03.

Any thoughts or opinions?

brucemac 08-13-2021 11:23 AM

Met with the shop owner yesterday. Really impressed.

He respectfully talked me out of doing the entire boat in CF and after speaking with him, I agree. So now I'm essentially back to similar textures and colors that came from the factory, which is fine. Always loved the look, it just got old and no amount of care was going to save it. Anyway, it should look super clean and will use CF for the accents on the hatch, gunwales and bow. I'll have new embroidery including MC shields on the captains chair, bow and observer seat back rest.

We're going to have them rip out the carpet and lay Deckadence as well, which I'm really looking forward to.

Spradling Zander Artic Sky for the base and Spradling Zander Pearl Gray for the knee bolsters.

Now all I need to do is get the decals off so I can start working on the gel before she goes in next month.

This is happening!

Forrest-X45 08-13-2021 05:43 PM

I spoke with Mike last week looking for guidance on some very small repairs on my interior. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to help me but came across as a straight up guy. Looking forward to seeing your new interior when completed!
You are going to love Deckadence. I installed it two summers ago and just love it. Way better than carpet.

waterlogged882 08-13-2021 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucemac (Post 1580316)

Now all I need to do is get the decals off so I can start working on the gel before she goes in next month.

This is happening!

This will save you a ton of time and not hurt the gel.

brucemac 08-13-2021 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forrest-X45 (Post 1580361)
I spoke with Mike last week looking for guidance on some very small repairs on my interior. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to help me but came across as a straight up guy. Looking forward to seeing your new interior when completed!
You are going to love Deckadence. I installed it two summers ago and just love it. Way better than carpet.

Thanks Forrest. I've actually been working with Dave (owner) at Hoglunds in Everett based on some due diligence and a TT member referral (Prostar205). Went up there yesterday and the place seemed top notch. I was pretty impressed and Dave was super helpful with design decisions, extremely knowledgeable and patient (he worked with me the better part of 2 hours). Going to be tough staring at it in the garage all winter, but can't wait to get it done.

Forrest-X45 08-13-2021 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucemac (Post 1580365)
Thanks Forrest. I've actually been working with Dave (owner) at Hoglunds in Everett based on some due diligence and a TT member referral (Prostar205). Went up there yesterday and the place seemed top notch. I was pretty impressed and Dave was super helpful with design decisions, extremely knowledgeable and patient (he worked with me the better part of 2 hours). Going to be tough staring at it in the garage all winter, but can't wait to get it done.

Did you decide to go with Hoglunds instead of Seams Right? Are they installing the Deckadence?

brucemac 08-13-2021 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterlogged882 (Post 1580364)
This will save you a ton of time and not hurt the gel.

Thanks, I will likely go that route. Hoping to get that part done next week/weekend.

brucemac 08-13-2021 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forrest-X45 (Post 1580366)
Did you decide to go with Hoglunds instead of Seams Right? Are they installing the Deckadence?

I did and yes they are. They're doing everything but stripping the graphics and compounding. Mike clearly knows his stuff, but he didn't seem like he wanted to mess with certain aspects of the job. Embroidery for example was a no go, and he just wanted to have me pick vinyl the day I dropped it off. That concerned me. I wanted more control over the outcome and Dave at Hoglunds was incredibly accommodating. Not knocking Mike at all, but for me, it was a comfort level thing.

Thrall 09-03-2021 01:57 PM

If you haven't started yet, JAM Upholstery in Algona does great work.
Haven't had boat upholstery done yet, but his vehicle seats are very good quality both stitching and fit and he made a new snap in carpet for the boat with (idk, some good quality marine carpet) for, all I will say is a very reasonable price. About 20% of what a replacement MC carpet would be.

I will be taking my truck seat to him, no question.

brucemac 09-03-2021 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrall (Post 1582344)
If you haven't started yet, JAM Upholstery in Algona does great work.
Haven't had boat upholstery done yet, but his vehicle seats are very good quality both stitching and fit and he made a new snap in carpet for the boat with (idk, some good quality marine carpet) for, all I will say is a very reasonable price. About 20% of what a replacement MC carpet would be.

I will be taking my truck seat to him, no question.

Thanks Thrall, but I'm all set. Boat goes in for winterization and a custom cover template on the 13th and then I'm dropping her off at the upholstery shop on the 15th. It's going to be like Christmas coming early around here this fall!