TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Copper vs. Pex for water supply (http://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/showthread.php?t=23309)

JohnnyB 05-11-2008 05:01 PM

Copper vs. Pex for water supply

Looking at building materials....with the price of copper, does anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on the use of Pex for water supply lines (hot/cold to sinks, showers, toilets, etc).

bigmac 05-11-2008 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyB
Looking at building materials....with the price of copper, does anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on the use of Pex for water supply lines (hot/cold to sinks, showers, toilets, etc).

My buddy, who's a plumber, tells me that copper is still way at the top of the quality heap.

sand2snow22 05-11-2008 05:10 PM

I just got rid of the all the galvanized in our house and used wirsbo. Very easy and less labor than copper. Copper is still probably better (wirsbo doesn't have the true test of time), but we'll be out of this house long before we have any problems.

djhuff 05-12-2008 07:53 AM

Pex is a great product. Very easy to install, cheaper than copper on the material and labor components. The best thing is that there are about 1/4 of the joints in the pipe than you have with copper. It's also flexible so that if a nail does hit the pipe, it moves out of the way rather than getting punctured.

As far as synthetic materials go though, Pex is at the top of the heap.

Go for it.

BrianM 05-12-2008 08:25 AM

Due to the price increases of copper we have switch over to using Pex on all of the new construction in our developement. Great product. I am getting ready to build my own home and will be using Pex as well.

stuartmcnair 05-12-2008 11:00 AM

Here is a link that has a little more detail on it. I went with copper on our latest project because I am very comfortable with it...but I wouldn't be opposed to using PEX in residential after reading up on it.

PEX Articles

Sodar 05-12-2008 11:26 AM

I am 99% sure that California has not allowed the use of PEX piping. I believe it has been in litigation since 2001-ish, because the pipe fitters union is have such a problem with it.

The only two applications I have seen it used in this far was for a high-end home that had a central purified water system and the PEX piping was ran all through the house to EVERY sink in the place... the contractor had to get a deffered approval and from what I heard, even with that, the building inspector was not ready to sign the house off.

The more recent use I have seen was for a project I am on right now, where they are using PEX piping to run chilled water in, to cool down computer server racks in a hospital's main server room. I watched them install it last week and was very suprised at just how quickly it goes together.

BrianM 05-12-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sodar
I am 99% sure that California has not allowed the use of PEX piping. I believe it has been in litigation since 2001-ish, because the pipe fitters union is have such a problem with it.

Kalifornia! The Union doesn't like it because it reduces the amount of labor involved. Don't get me started on unions especially for the construction trades.

djhuff 05-12-2008 02:53 PM

Wow, the good old Peoples Republic of California strikes again.

ShamrockIV 05-12-2008 02:55 PM

can i ask the stupid question of what the [email protected] is pex??

my house has pvc pipes!!!!