Swapping an Indmar LY6 for an Ilmor engine - crazy or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MasterCraft Ranger
    MC Devotee
    • Mar 2017

Swapping an Indmar LY6 for an Ilmor engine - crazy or not?

Without going into the long background story, I am considering yanking the Indmar LY6 out of my 2011 X25 and starting over with a new Ilmor engine. MasterCraft made the engine supplier switch that year so I know there are 2011 X25s out there with the same B I G Viper instrument panel and an Ilmor engine. I have seen 5.7 and 6.0 Ilmors in various X25 threads.

Aside from the substantial cost, what other considerations would there be? Would I need a new transmission as well?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 88 PS190
    MC Addict
    • Aug 2005

My main concern would be if you have a local dealer who can make sure all the software stuff works properly/knows how to deal with issues if it doesn't.

Not sure if the BIG screen runs the same software.

Comment

• clrussell
      MC Addict
      • Jul 2012

But why?

Comment

• MasterCraft Ranger
        MC Devotee
        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post
        My main concern would be if you have a local dealer who can make sure all the software stuff works properly/knows how to deal with issues if it doesn't.

Not sure if the BIG screen runs the same software.

Thanks - I would definitely have an MC dealer do the work. I have seen plenty of BIG screen/Ilmor engine combos so I have to believe mine would be compatible with any Ilmor specific software though I hate to write the phase “I have to assume”...

Comment

• MasterCraft Ranger
          MC Devotee
          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by clrussell View Post
          But why?

Please re-read opening sentence of my post.

Comment

• Shaun R
            MC Devotee
            • Jun 2014

So its my understanding that the dash only translates in information given to it by the PCM, and whatever motor swap you do will have the same MEFI5 PCM. It would probably be best to purchase the trans and motor together and sell what you have the same. There is a CSX in the classifieds that made the same Indmar to Ilmor swap so it is possible, bonus that your boat it was an option.

In the end it's probably cheaper to sell your boat and get one with the motor you want, but in the end that's your call to make.

Comment

• 1redTA
              MC Devotee
              • Aug 2009

besides being new, you want to swap a ly6 with an identical ly6, finished by a different supplier of the same engine. I think it would just be a swap of the long block and you’d be done as long as you are already drive by wire
              1981 MasterCraft
              19' Skier 351W PowerSlot
              Long gone is the Trans AM waiting for another

Comment

• Thrall
                MC Addict
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by clrussell View Post
                But why?
                It's a secret....
                '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

• MasterCraft Ranger
                  MC Devotee
                  • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Thrall View Post
                  It's a secret....

Haha, it’s not a secret but it’s worthy of its own thread and I was trying to avoid 6 different tangents in the same post.

Comment

• MasterCraft Ranger
                    MC Devotee
                    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by 1redTA View Post
                    besides being new, you want to swap a ly6 with an identical ly6, finished by a different supplier of the same engine. I think it would just be a swap of the long block and you’d be done as long as you are already drive by wire

Sorry, I’m not understanding your first sentence. What do you mean “besides being new”? I don’t believe LY6 engines are available anymore but I might be ignorant on the naming conventions.

Comment

• MasterCraft Ranger
                      MC Devotee
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Shaun R View Post
                      So its my understanding that the dash only translates in information given to it by the PCM, and whatever motor swap you do will have the same MEFI5 PCM. It would probably be best to purchase the trans and motor together and sell what you have the same. There is a CSX in the classifieds that made the same Indmar to Ilmor swap so it is possible, bonus that your boat it was an option.

In the end it's probably cheaper to sell your boat and get one with the motor you want, but in the end that's your call to make.

Thanks for the info. I’ll see if I can find the owner of the CSX and get some background.

Comment

• Shaun R
                        MC Devotee
                        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by MasterCraft Ranger View Post
                        Sorry, I’m not understanding your first sentence. What do you mean “besides being new”? I don’t believe LY6 engines are available anymore but I might be ignorant on the naming conventions.

You can find them new or rebuilt to be new. There was nothing really special about the Indmar 6.0 block. Much easier process then switching to ilmor

Comment

• maxpower220
                          MC Fanatic
                          • Sep 2008

Do you want a new engine or do you want to remove your Inmarsat accessories and put on Ilmor accessories along with the software to make the switch.

GM engine blocks are the same regardless od indmar ilmor pcm.
                          1997 PS 205

Comment

• BrianS
                            MC Fanatic
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by MasterCraft Ranger View Post
                            Since you haven't explained your reasoning, he is assuming your current engine is in good working order and therefore trying to understand why you would want to swap the exact same engine marinized my Ilmore for an engine marinized my Indmar.

Now, if your current engine is blown, then this question makes more sense.

Comment

• clrussell
                              MC Addict
                              • Jul 2012

I guess I need more reasoning before I can answer.. waiting on the other thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X