• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cetiritas
    TT Newbie
    • Aug 2016

Maximize Ballasts for 2008 X2 wakesurfing

Hey y'all
    I have a 2008 X2 that we are trying to wakesurf on.
    my current setup is the stock tanks and 250# sacs in each rear locker and a home built Suckgate using the HOD (I think this is around 1300#). We've tried every speed between 9.2 and 12mph and depths between 6 and 30'. Its just not enough push and appears that we need more weight.
    Want to add more but the custom Fly High sacs only adds 460 in each locker and just doesn't seem to take advantage of all the possible available space.
    Wanted to know if anyone had any advice on a bigger sac system in the rear of the X2. Any other advice is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    -Curtis
  • ap77
    MC Devotee
    • Aug 2011

I had a 2009 X2. I never tried to weight the boat evenly so maybe I'm not much help to you. We listed the boat and was able to produce a really nice surf wake. Our configuration was as follows:
    - port hard tank full
    - port 450# fat sac full
    - 1100# L shaped fat sac on rear and port side seat
    - center tab 5%

Here are some pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0692.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	2371853

Name:	IMG_0641.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	2371854

Name:	IMG_0156.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	2371855
    - Andrew

2015 MasterCraft X-20 (current)
    2009 MasterCraft X-2 (sold)

Comment

• tr6coug
      MC Devotee
      • Aug 2007

You should be able to surf with what you have. I have an '07 X2 with stock ballast and 400# bag in the rear port locker. This setup works very well. I suggest you fill all stock, and then fill the bag on the side you want to surf on. Have your passengers sit on the surf side of the boat also. We usually surf around 10 mph.

Are you new to wake surfing? How far back from the boat are you trying to surf? With the X2 we can surf pretty easily about 6' back from the stern, with lighter people further back.
      '07 Navy Blue X2 MCX
      http://www.wakeblaster.com/
      Ballast Timer Reprogramming Info
      Timer Reprogramming Thread

Comment

• cetiritas
        TT Newbie
        • Aug 2016

Maximize Ballasts for 2008 X2 wakesurfing

yes, we are new to wakesurfing - but an ocean surf and wakeboard vet.
        a couple of notes:
        1. we are in salt water (Oahu - central pacific which is very salty...) ocean water makes boat slightly more buoyant... I don't think that it has much if any affect, but worth considering for both buoyancy and impact on ballast system corrosion?
        2. I typically go with a buddy. I surf Port-side and he surfs Starboard side so our setup needs to be able to switch relatively quickly.. Have been switching the suckgate to switch sides. Haven't tried to move the weight at all.
        3. Also the prop was in relatively bad shape/ bent due to shallow water hits, and once I had it rebuilt, it appeared that the wave got shorter... using a 14.25x14.5
        4. we have a 10,000# boat lift in the marina so leaving the ballast in the boat isn't a problem (as long as it isnt' stressing the hull..)
        5. at about 10mph we are surfing about 3-4'back. further back loses all push and can't keep up. Have 2 different board 4'8 and 5'2 - both are same results.
        6. it would appear that the swim platform may be fouling the wake - considering placing a 3" square aluminum tube between the bracket and platform to raise it.
        Last edited by cetiritas; 01-22-2017, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• ttu
          MC Addict
          • Jun 2005

you can plumb xstar ballast bags in the back. I believe they are 720 lb each. I put them in my 07 x2 after installing gsa. sinks the heck out of the boat.

Comment

• cetiritas
            TT Newbie
            • Aug 2016

Bingo!
            The 460#'s for the x2 are 32"L x 18"W x 20"H - which are too small...
            the 720#' for the x-star are 40"L x 22"W x 22"H - this is the weight I am looking for...
            no fitment issues with the 720? The overall length seems too long but the weight sounds like what I am after.
            was also looking at the stepped shaped ones that are in the locker and fill partially under the seat space... Seem to also make sense. See link:
            ATTENTION: This ballast bag does not include ANY fittings.You will need to purchase the correct fittings to make the necessary connections for your application. See related products, or contact us if you need help determining the correct fittings for your application. The Fly High Tige 59" Custom Portside Surf Sac is p

its a bit wider, but the length looks good... dimensions are closer to the X2 but fill under the seat... which looks to be good as well. only problem is the fill and drain ports are on the wrong side..

Comment

• ap77
              MC Devotee
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by cetiritas View Post
              Bingo!
              The 460#'s for the x2 are 32"L x 18"W x 20"H - which are too small...
              the 720#' for the x-star are 40"L x 22"W x 22"H - this is the weight I am looking for...
              no fitment issues with the 720? The overall length seems too long but the weight sounds like what I am after.
              was also looking at the stepped shaped ones that are in the locker and fill partially under the seat space... Seem to also make sense. See link:
              ATTENTION: This ballast bag does not include ANY fittings.You will need to purchase the correct fittings to make the necessary connections for your application. See related products, or contact us if you need help determining the correct fittings for your application. The Fly High Tige 59" Custom Portside Surf Sac is p

its a bit wider, but the length looks good... dimensions are closer to the X2 but fill under the seat... which looks to be good as well. only problem is the fill and drain ports are on the wrong side..
              You may not be able to fill the 720# to 100%, but you will definately get more weight than the 460#'s. You also will need to reinforce the engine compartment as the larger fat sac will expand beyond the width of the locker and will put significant pressure on the separation wall. I believe there are some metal fittings that are designed give it more support.

You may also consider putting a fat sac on the floor or rear seat to give you more weight.
              - Andrew

Comment

• cetiritas
                TT Newbie
                • Aug 2016

Originally posted by ap77 View Post
                I believe there are some metal fittings that are designed give it more support.
                Know where I can find the metal fittings? Where are the high stress areas that need the support?

Comment

• X2Scool
                  TT Regular
                  • Mar 2016

We have a 2009 X2 with X2 fatsacs in the rear lockers. That gives us 705#'s in each locker, then I'll fill the KGB and fill a 400# bag and put it in the centre of the bow (550# up front). With that weight set up and a suckgate I built we can easily surf 10' back. That includes 1 surfer, a driver, and an observer. I set the PP to 10.8, that seems to be the sweet spot. I'd get your prop checked out, I have an aftermarket prop and it definetly has a different wake then a buddy's with his factory prop. The prop guru's (OJ or Acme) can get you the right prop for your condition.

Comment

• ap77
                    MC Devotee
                    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by cetiritas View Post
                    Know where I can find the metal fittings? Where are the high stress areas that need the support?
                    Wakemakers sells them.

One of the most popular WakeMAKERS products for several years now, our exclusive Engine Divider Panel Savers are a robust, easy to install solution to reinforce your engine divider panels. Add additional ballast to your rear lockers to achieve that great wake and don't worry about bowing of the engine divider panels du
                    - Andrew

Comment

• cetiritas
                      TT Newbie
                      • Aug 2016

Thanks all for your help.

The prop I have appears to have the same pitch and diameter as the recommended wakesurfing prop from Wakemakers. I'm not sure if there is any more to the science....

I think I am going to settle on the 720's and the engine divider reinforcement.
                      May be a few weeks before I am able to get the parts and put it together.
                      I"ll send an update with photos...

Comment

• melton1wake
                        TT Enthusiast
                        • Aug 2013

I had a 2007 x2 and I used a wakegate device with it and had a great surf wake. I would fill the stock ballast completely and then I would fill two 350lb bags in each locker and the x2 horseshoe bow bag that wakemakers sells. After that I would place either a 550lb bag on the seats or use people on the side we were surfing to list the boat a bit. We ran at 10.6 and had great push and decent length. I would be afraid of leaving the ballast full while on the lift, that's a lot of stress on the relatively small area supported by the bunks. I think you'll get cracks pretty soon. When surfing or wakeboarding I always targeted 3000lbs of weight between people and ballast.

Comment

• clrussell
                          MC Addict
                          • Jul 2012

Simple works on those x2s..

Stock ballast plus a 450 in either locker and 10.0.

Comment

• cetiritas
                            TT Newbie
                            • Aug 2016

I have flipped the Jabsco pumps and reprogrammed the timers for 20 minute duration, replaced one of the pumps that had a broken magnet.
                            Just purchased the Wakemakers 35Lx25Wx20H -710lb sacks and all the needed fittings to connect with the hard tanks in the back compartment.
                            Also purchased the engine divider panel savers, a new ACME prop, and all the replacement parts to fix the messed up parts from hitting a rock last weekend (new shaft, new strut, new bearings, etc)....
                            Should have it back in the water in a week or two (pending shipping to Hawaii..) Kona winds are coming back so the water is calm - feel like I'm missing out...

I'll take photos of the Surf Wave when done. Stay tuned!

Comment

• neil.anderson63
                              MC Maniac
                              • Dec 2011

Don't forget to implement a surf gate at some sort. Suck gate, ghetto gate etc - makes a big improvement
                              Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.

Comment

Working...
                              X